Mileage for the Year

Bro Deal

Jun 26, 2006
Well, there is snow in the mountains here. Unless you are one of those aussie bastards, the season is coming to an end. Let's see some mileages or kilometerages.

I spent a lot of time training for a non-cycling event, so I am low this year.

~4600 miles on the road
~800 miles of MTB

I am not sure about my exact numbers. The battery in my MTB cyclometer died early Spring, and a minor crash killed my road cyclometer.

2125 mi. My goal every year is 2200. I have NY weather to deal with but I might make it.

Xsmoker said:
2125 mi. My goal every year is 2200. I have NY weather to deal with but I might make it.
Only about a 1000 mi. Way to much working, now with a better job allowing alot more time off, i'm aiming for 5500-6000 mi next year

My goal was 5,000 miles, and with some severe weather last Jan, Feb, and March, I didn't ride much at all during those months. But with the drought during the warm season, I was able to ride around 5 days a week. I'm up to 4500 right now so if the weather is kind to us, I might make it. However, they're forecasting accumulating snow tues and Wednesday, this week, here in Cincinnati.

Where are you 10,000 mile people?
Bike On! Ken.

Freehub said:
My goal was 5,000 miles, and with some severe weather last Jan, Feb, and March, I didn't ride much at all during those months. But with the drought during the warm season, I was able to ride around 5 days a week. I'm up to 4500 right now so if the weather is kind to us, I might make it. However, they're forecasting accumulating snow tues and Wednesday, this week, here in Cincinnati.

Where are you 10,000 mile people?
Bike On! Ken.
My goal was 5000 miles, which I passed at Thanksgiving. I should be around 5600 or thereabouts by year end. This was my first full year of riding a bike.

I'm slowly increasing my annual mileage...

Did about 2,900 in 2006. Hit 3,200 this year and maybe I can add a few more. Hopefully I'll get 4,000+ in 2008.

3,367 miles since 01/01/07.
It hasn't been a year where i could enough time to pedalling as I would like to.

I'm sitting on just under 17,000km, there is still a month to go so I'd expect to finish the year north of 18,000km (unless I get totally hooked up on the track riding bug I've suddenly aquired).

My goals for the year were more orientated to specific races rather than total mileage, but my total race mileage is just over 6,500km for the year to date.

--brett

4,261 all road. Bro Deal, you did me in a bad year for you. But even though its snowing, I'm going to try and eke out 340 miles before year end.

Um...not counting that MTB baggy gear thingy-me-jig stuff of course.

Crankyfeet said:
4,261 all road. Bro Deal, you did me in a bad year for you. But even though its snowing, I'm going to try and eke out 340 miles before year end.

Um...not counting that MTB baggy gear thingy-me-jig stuff of course.
Heh. Heh. Mines bigger than yours is. :) Of course we both have to bow down before sideshow_bob. He's the Lexingston Steele of cyclingforums.

I need to make sure to get in a few more fifties so I can keep ahead. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.

Bro Deal said:
Heh. Heh. Mines bigger than yours is. :) Of course we both have to bow down before sideshow_bob. He's the Lexingston Steele of cyclingforums.

I need to make sure to get in a few more fifties so I can keep ahead. Hopefully the weather will cooperate.
I think sideshow_bob thought you meant his car mileage for this year.:p

Bro Deal said:

You have to put it into perspective. I am one of those '******* Aussies' who has the opportunity to ride 52 weeks a year. Dressing warm is maybe a set of arm warmers in the middle of winter.

So averaging 300-400km a week isn't especially difficult. My return commute to work is around 70km, so 3 commutes a week gives me over 200km before hitting the weekend. At the moment we are in summer Crit season, so some of those 'work commutes' are actually ride to work, ride from work to a crit race, race for an hour, then ride home, so the daily mileage goes past about 130km.

I'm sure there are probably quite a few 15,000km+ riders lurking about here though.

--brett

I did pathetic miles this year (about 980) because I moved to Houston, Texas and I'd rather bike in Chicago with it's cooler weather and awesome Lake Shore Drive bike path. Late this year I found out Herman Park in Houston is an ok park for me to workout in, but there's one part where you would hold up traffic if you were going slow so this is a perfect spot for me to do a high speed interval in my workouts.

I hate the hot humid weather in Houston, so I'd rather not bike. And then I discovered that I can go long periods without gaining weight from not biking so I'm not biking much any more. Gee, Dec 2nd in Houston was like 75F!

And now I bought a nice hopped up $3500 1999 Honda Civic HX which is getting me 41.5 mpg (2 days city, 5 days hwy driving) and now I'm biking less to save gas... Gee, I just spent $2500 on Trek Pilot 2.1 spa this year for saving gas! Now I've been spending my time on the Cleanmpg.com and Gassavers.org forum learning hypermiling techniques, and I'm totally enjoying driving for fuel economy!

Oh, my career improved in Houston. I'm working now as a Proe Designer Detailer on Space Shuttle and Space Station parts, and I might move into Mechanical Engineering projects! For what I'm doing, I'm getting paid the equivalent of a 5 year experienced mechanical engineering job in Chicago -for doing easy CAD work!

What sucks about Houston is that it's hard for a felon to get a good apartment! But the food and shopping here is great! - Better than Chicago!

If I do a long distance workout, it's on my Trek Pilot 2.1 Spa where I can carry a lot of my own water bottles as well as doing shopping because of my panniers. So I go out on long distance shopping workouts and save gas and entertain myself. But my last ride 3 people told me to get off the road!

JTE83 said:
And now I bought a nice hopped up $3500 1999 Honda Civic HX which is getting me 41.5 mpg (2 days city, 5 days hwy driving) and now I'm biking less to save gas... Gee, I just spent $2500 on Trek Pilot 2.1 spa this year for saving gas! Now I've been spending my time on the Cleanmpg.com and Gassavers.org forum learning hypermiling techniques, and I'm totally enjoying driving for fuel economy!

Okay, I'll ask: how does biking less save gas, eh? Bike doesn't use gas. Car does use gas. Hmmmmmm.

Enjoying driving for fuel economy, eh? So you're enjoying burning that gas.

I'm sitting on 4,730 miles so far. Unfortunately, there is a sheet of ice on the roads now making commuting very difficult. Most of the people I ride with exceed my mileage by quite a bit, but they are retired and can ride every day!

I am feeling pretty good about this years mileage. In February I came back to cycling after 17 years off the bike. So the start of my year was pretty modest. I'll finish the year at about 4,200 miles. And about 350,000 feet of climbing...

11,200 Kms or 6,960 miles

This is considering that since October I almost stop riding and started to make some running as pre-season work-out, but I get hooked and did a 10 Ks race in 41:36 two weeks ago and I will make a Marathon on December 16.

So, maybe I can add about 160 Kms that I made running?