Mileage on rollers?

Discussion in 'The Bike Cafe' started by kdelong, Jan 25, 2008.

1. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

Does the mileage racked up on rollers or a trainer count towards your yearly total:confused: ? I mean it is not actual riding outdoors, but I find that riding on rollers is more difficult than actual riding. Riding on a trainer is easier than actual riding for me. My cycling computer registers miles racked up on the rollers but not when I am on a trainer( front wheel sensor). Maybe I can count 1.5 miles for each mile on rollers and only .5 miles for each mile on a trainer? I sure wish it were warmer and dryer here, then I wouldn't be worrying about this.

Tags:

2. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

Just spend a couple o' weeks riding every day outside, and before you know it, you will have acclimatized to the conditions.

3. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

For roller/trainer time do not count miles/km, but hours. If you do intensity work on your trainer, you will find that you reach the riding season in much better general condition than if you were sitting on the couch. :)

BTW, google some intense interval sessions and hurt yourself on the trainer. Makes the time fly and you will definitely feel the results later in the year.

Generally people seem to consider 1 hr of intense trainer work to be equivalent to about 1.5 hrs on the road. YMMV.

4. alienator

alienator Well-Known Member

What is this trainer thing? Is it something I'm supposed to attach to my bike when I'm riding the local roads on one of our frigid, 63° winter days?

BTW, this is the harsh blow to the solar plexus that Winter is delivering to us today:

[​IMG]

5. mikesbytes

mikesbytes New Member

6. Yojimbo_

Yojimbo_ Well-Known Member

It was -10 C here today, which is 14 F for you American folks. And very windy.

63 F in Az sounds nice, but then it's over 100 F in the summer so there is a down side.

I don't understand why you say the trainer is easier than being on the road. My rides on the trainer are generally much tougher than the road.

7. dbackmtg

dbackmtg New Member

\

You just have to throw the 63 deg. F in our faces don't you. Must be aa cold snap out there. Today I got up and it is snowing. I think I'll try cross country skiing today.

8. reub2000

reub2000 New Member

You could get on a nice windproof jacket, gloves, some rain pants, and head outside. As long as your cloths are windproof and you take care of the extremities you should be just fine outside.

I'm betting if it's that cold outside that it isn't snowing, and that the snow has already been cleared from the roads.

9. Powerful Pete

Powerful Pete New Member

1. I hate you and am jealous. :)
    2. Winters here are actually quite mild, my problem is daylight hours and that pesky work thing that intrudes on my personal life and riding time... so most weeknights I am forced to gerbilise in the garden to the bemused looks of the neighbours in the building next to ours! :mad:

10. Cycler6n

Cycler6n New Member

lucky, the lowest i think it was here was like 4 degrees f this year. :(

11. Freehub

Freehub New Member

It hasn't snowed here for days, but yet there is so much salt on the roads, it looks like snow. I can't subject my bike to those conditions. Because of this, tomorrow, I'll be heading to the local bike trail.

I think what KD was saying about the trainer being easier than the road is in the fact that you don't have to balance your bike, or concentrate. KD, I'm not trying to speak for you. just trying to logically deduce what you were trying to say.

I don't think you can count indoor training as mileage, just hours. If you want to be 100% honest, that is. And who is totally honest these days?

12. kdelong

kdelong Well-Known Member

You are absolutely correct about what I was trying to say concerning the trainer. You just get on it and pedal to your hearts content without having to dodge cars and road debris. There are no stop signs or turns.

If you are logging hours indoors, then why aren't you just logging hours outdoors also? Why does the location of your riding make a difference? Anyway, I've been riding rollers all week and my computer has been logging every inch as there is no way to turn off the odo if you are using the speedo. Geez, I can't wait for Speedo weather again! -2 degrees F is rough on a body, but I don't really like the desert that much. Its finally going to be in the 40's tomorrow but I have to work:mad: .

13. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

I don't think it counts, but then I have never been able to do quality training on rollers or a resistance trainer--especially rollers.

14. Bro Deal

Bro Deal New Member

Either that or turn into a penguin.

15. lisandom

lisandom New Member

I vote that mileage on rollers DOES count toward yearly mileage total.
    you're still rolling the wheels, pushingpulling pedals, holding yourself up on handlebars, etc. what difference does it make if you're inside?
    i agree with whoever said that rollers are tougher to ride than being on the road. you're battling boredom, balancing without inertia, constantly pedaling.

For some reason, i can ride 20 miles on the road much easier than 5 miles on rollers.

Is there anyone who agrees??

ride on, riders

16. concord

concord Member

I agree 100%

I live in Arizona also but I'm further north, Prescott, and it is freaking cold! Today our high was 34 or 36 not much warmer. I don't have room for the rollers inside so if I want to get a workout on them, well... it's mainly the wind while on the rollers. :eek: