Mileage

Nuttli went from a fat nobody to a TT pro champ riding a trainer.
Are you thinking that perhaps he couldn't have done that riding the roads in Arizona in the winter in 75 degree temperatures?

The posting that CampyBob made and rapidly pulled down showed the "power output" of the group of riders to be 300 watts at 18 mph. Think about that. From memory there were five riders and they were drafting. That meant that they were only putting out max output for 20% of the time. And the numbers were 300 watts? That was totally distorted so that program doesn't give realistic numbers - and CampyBob was arguing that I couldn't be putting out 300 Watts at a steady 20-21 mph into a 20 mph headwind for 10k. Actually Steve Gribble's calculation program was 340 watts but since I did ride a little less than straight into the wind for maybe a total of 1 k of that I reduced it.

I haven't been saying I'm fast. I've been saying that I'm dropped on every climb so making these sorts of numbers can't be that off-the-wall. And CampyBob's Cat 2 friend reporting 250 watts at a heart rate of 150 backs that up as well. His racing heart rate would be probably 170-180 if he's under 30. I was impressed with that power for that heart rate and not because CampyBob thought that was his actual racing power. Max heart rate only extremely rarely changes as much as 0.1% between individuals of common age and fitness levels so despite people saying - "it varies between individuals" it doesn't. I worked on the first real Heart/Lung machine calculating the expansion factor of the aorta so I had to learn a little about this stuff.

Are you thinking that perhaps he couldn't have done that riding the roads in Arizona in the winter in 75 degree temperatures?

Tom, that wasn't the point whether he could done that riding roads in Arizona, the point was he did it on a trainer, why can't you accept the fact that trainers, and Swift work? Like I said before doing intervals on trainers (and Swift) is more accurate and better than on a road. It's like you can't accept the reality that you were wrong about Campy Bob using Zwift, you had to laugh at him and say he can't train on a video game, well YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN!

Tom, that wasn't the point whether he could done that riding roads in Arizona, the point was he did it on a trainer, why can't you accept the fact that trainers, and Swift work? Like I said before doing intervals on trainers (and Swift) is more accurate and better than on a road. It's like you can't accept the reality that you were wrong about Campy Bob using Zwift, you had to laugh at him and say he can't train on a video game, well YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN!
He could have done it lifting weights or using that rowing machine that's available in those gyms as well. So what? Your insistence that he could only have lost weight on a video game isn't flying. And besides, you lose weight by moderating your diet.

He could have done it lifting weights or using that rowing machine that's available in those gyms as well. So what? Your insistence that he could only have lost weight on a video game isn't flying. And besides, you lose weight by moderating your diet.

Tom Tom Tom, PLEASE go back and show me, us, where I said he could only have lost weight on a video game. So far whenever I asked you to please show me where I supposedly said something that you said that I said you haven't been able to, nor will you this time because you're just a blowhard. And you can't prove that he was lifting weights or using a rowing machine, or any other devices, can you? But that's neither here nor there, he couldn't become a pro rider by just using weights and a rowing machine. Who said he was in a gym cycling on a trainer all that time? I know a lot of people who go to the gym and work out and ride trainers and they're nowhere near becoming a pro cyclist! So if

Again you're failing to comprehend, which is nothing new for you just frustrating for the rest of us here. What I said repeatedly was: "that wasn't the point whether he could done that riding roads in Arizona, the point was he did it on a trainer, why can't you accept the fact that trainers, and Swift work? Like I said before doing intervals on trainers (and Swift) is more accurate and better than on a road." Where in that statement that I made does it even talk about Campy Bob? where in that statement does it talk about weight loss? That statement was in regards to Jhuskey's statement where he said this: "Nuttli went from a fat nobody to a TT pro champ riding a trainer." My statement was about Nuttli not Campy Bob, and about becoming a pro by using trainer, not about losing weight; do you understand now or are you still out in the weed patch smoking like crazy?

You cannot lose weight and keep it off by just diet alone, it's a combination of diet and exercise. Where have you been for the last 78 years? Living in a cave devoid of all human contact? While it is possible to lose weight by diet alone but that involves eating fewer calories than is required to stay healthy, so you could starve yourself to death and diet that way; but to lose weight and to keep it off for the long haul, the healthy way is to combine a sensible diet program with a sensible cardio exercise program. Even people with anorexia will combine eating very little, or eating and then throwing it up which then becomes bulimia, will combine cardio exercise to lose weight.

The point is that he became a world class Time Trialist by ride a trainer 6 to 8 hours day. He raced for Phonak and has long since retired. It is an intetesting story and might make a good movie.

The point is that he became a world class Time Trialist by ride a trainer 6 to 8 hours day. He raced for Phonak and has long since retired. It is an intetesting story and might make a good movie.
Well it would make an interesting movie for we riders, But we're pretty rare in the scheme of things. Movies are really expensive to make and distribute.

Well it would make an interesting movie for we riders, But we're pretty rare in the scheme of things. Movies are really expensive to make and distribute.

Pretty sure Phonak could afford to bankroll it if he wanted to being that he is a billionaire.

Pretty sure Phonak could afford to bankroll it if he wanted to being that he is a billionaire.

On one of my jobs I designed the digital switching network for the Clear-Com intercom system used on all radio, TV and Movie sets. My pal, Charley Butten designed all of the analog part of it. Clear-Com won an Emmy award for it and Charley ended up winning four. But he also designed the outside sound systems that didn't echo for groups like Led Zeppelin. So everyone was looking to give him some sort of award or other.

In any case, you don't make movies that won't make their production costs back.

Riis loves cycling. He can do what the hell he wants. He has probably lost millions sponsoring teams. Will he ever get in the movie business? I have no idea but probaly not and not worth debating. It was just a side comment. Side note , do not respond to Tom again

there Tom goes again, now he's created the digital switching network for the Clear-Com intercom system used on all radio, TV and Movie sets. Yawn.

there Tom goes again, now he's created the digital switching network for the Clear-Com intercom system used on all radio, TV and Movie sets. Yawn.
There you go again thinking that any of that is hard for me. I was employed so many places you wouldn't believe it anyway. You come in, do a project and after it's done they don't need you anymore and you move elsewhere. But to someone that is a landlord you can't perceive of that. I worked at Laurence Livermore Laboratories, Laurence Berkeley Labs, I designed cancer detection and treatment devices, liquid and gas chromatography, I did military projects to protect our troops, I have intercomputer communications boards on the space station. I did the entire digital design and programming of the automatic chemical analysis machine with which we identified HIV giving the chief chemist a Nobel prize in chemistry. And all of this with basic electronics training in the Air Force and self study after. Hell, the last project measured the amount of water than leaks out of a swimming pool. Before the project was canceled we were going to make it into a device that would identify the source of leaks on industrial building roofs. When you are an engineer that has worked in science your entire life this is EASY. It only takes time and not effort.

Just on a whim I outlined a system to measure rider power output and then discovered that this had recently been done and it is 1/4th the price and with the same accuracy as the pedal or half crank systems. I could write the equations for it.

But since I argued with you that helmets don't save lives, you decided that you were going to attack anything and everything I said.

Even here you think that some guy riding on a machine in a gym could become a TT world champ and lose 90 lbs. Exercise no matter HOW extensive can rarely lose you anything other than water weight. And that means you have to moderate your diet. losing 90 lbs is 300,000 calories less than you would normally take in during that period. At 250 lbs that is about the equivalent of riding 6,000 miles at 14 mph or so - and not eating anything. And this doesn't even take into account the muscle mass that would replace at least half of the weight.

There you go again thinking that any of that is hard for me. I was employed so many places you wouldn't believe it anyway. You come in, do a project and after it's done they don't need you anymore and you move elsewhere. But to someone that is a landlord you can't perceive of that. I worked at Laurence Livermore Laboratories, Laurence Berkeley Labs, I designed cancer detection and treatment devices, liquid and gas chromatography, I did military projects to protect our troops, I have intercomputer communications boards on the space station. I did the entire digital design and programming of the automatic chemical analysis machine with which we identified HIV giving the chief chemist a Nobel prize in chemistry. And all of this with basic electronics training in the Air Force and self study after. Hell, the last project measured the amount of water than leaks out of a swimming pool. Before the project was canceled we were going to make it into a device that would identify the source of leaks on industrial building roofs. When you are an engineer that has worked in science your entire life this is EASY. It only takes time and not effort.

Just on a whim I outlined a system to measure rider power output and then discovered that this had recently been done and it is 1/4th the price and with the same accuracy as the pedal or half crank systems. I could write the equations for it.

But since I argued with you that helmets don't save lives, you decided that you were going to attack anything and everything I said.

Even here you think that some guy riding on a machine in a gym could become a TT world champ and lose 90 lbs. Exercise no matter HOW extensive can rarely lose you anything other than water weight. And that means you have to moderate your diet. losing 90 lbs is 300,000 calories less than you would normally take in during that period. At 250 lbs that is about the equivalent of riding 6,000 miles at 14 mph or so - and not eating anything. And this doesn't even take into account the muscle mass that would replace at least half of the weight.

A guy riding on a trainer did become a TT champion. That is not an opinion but a fact.

Reactions: limerickman
...and Matt Hayman won Paris-Roubaix by training on Zwift and a trainer while busted all to Hell.

upload_2018-12-11_11-30-10.jpeg

This has all been explained to tommy several times and has not sunk in. As has the list of hundreds of professional riders that train on...trainers.

Hooray! finally Cycling Forums can compete with Bike Forums.net for epic troll pissing-match drama.

Took long enough; this site used to be nothing but newbs asking the same three guys for advice on "What Do You Think Of This (insert name of product, accomplishment, or sales pitch)?" Thanks for upping your game, everyone!

I'm getting some popcorn.

Bike Forums went to Hell over a decade ago. Try to keep up. Better yet, try the comments section of Cycling News! LOL!
So...you want butter & salt?

Bike Forums went to Hell over a decade ago. Try to keep up. Better yet, try the comments section of Cycling News! LOL!
So...you want butter & salt?

I thought you got lost or maybe killed by an angry Amish father defending his daughters honor.