Mileage

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by cyclintom, Oct 31, 2018.

1. cyclintom

cyclintom Well-Known Member

So now you're crawling on the ground in frustration that you have now shown yourself to the entire world to be a nothing, devoid of anything the least special. Too bad that your entire life hinges on your being the center of attention on a bicycle forum. That is really sad.

2. CAMPYBOB

CAMPYBOB Well-Known Member

You've NEVER posted 'actual figures'. Those come from a power meter and a complete data file. You have neither.

This idiocy of yours has long passed the point of insanity on your part! It's so far out of the realm of reality that I can't stop laughing at how dumb you really are about cycling, training and power. That thump on the noggin must have really fried you!

And you the lie some more by claiming it was a "mistake"!!! LMAO! One hellova "mistake" for a guy that invented everything but the light bub and lived by numbers! Huh?!?!

Than you claimed the average Joe vet could do EIGHT HUNDRED WATTS! For an hour!!!! LMFAO!

Nope, dumbass. That was no "mistake". That was YOU lying your ass off repeatedly.

Mistake? Nope. It wasn't a "mistake". It was a blatant lie and one that you repeated over and over. Then you tried to claim the average vet rider could make 800 Watts! LMFAO!

You had every chance to correct your "mistake" and yet you did NOT! You continued to argue, like the dumb fuck that you are, that you made 600 Watts. For an entire HOUR!

Instead of admitting that you lied and had no idea how little power you actually make you continued to lie like the little bitch that you are.

C'mon little bitch. Let's see that power file that proves you can make 300 Watts for an hour! LMAO! Hell, post up your data file that proves your fat fucking ass can make 300 Watts for 20 minutes!

Keep lying, moron. You NEVER, EVER made 600 Watts.

Not for the hour that you claimed and then repeatedly claimed.

Not for 20 minutes.

Not for 10 minutes.

Not for 5 minutes.

Not even for ONE stinking minute of your miserable, lying life.

And yet here you are.

STILL defending your lying ass.

With EVERY post you make you reinforce the fact that you lied to a man that came to the board seeking advice. You lied to everyone that read that thread. More importantly, you lied to yourself over and over after being exposed as a fake.

Man up, dickhead and apologize for your lying.

3. VictoriaTegg9520

VictoriaTegg9520 New Member

Mileage is a distance measured in miles

4. cyclintom

Here it can be the time you spend on and exercycle hooked up to a video game. I'm not saying that it isn't exercise. Or that it isn't a means of maintaining your fitness through a winter. But I do not consider it riding a bicycle. And it most certainly isn't mileage.

5. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Tom is right, it is just a video game, and since pros have starting using Zwift the entire professional peloton average speed has fallen by 10% and getting worse the more they use it. What to do, what to do

6. cyclintom

Some people would wonder why you would put an increase in peleton speed upon the use of a video game when there hasn't been one single year where the average speed in the Tour de France hasn't gone up. This is due to the directors shorting the courses slightly every year, improvement in the roads, improvement in the technology of the bikes and improvement in team tactics. But I suppose people could say that the reason it increased 10 years ago was because they were expecting to be able to train on a video game.

7. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

All kidding aside as was my comment above yours was. All pro teams have used some sort of training system when they weren't riding on the roads, from turbo trainers to rollers, and now Zwift. I showed you websites that even showed that pros are indeed using Zwift so I can't figure out why you think that an inside trainer is a useless training tool; you claim to have ridden, and raced, for many years but you don't think indoor trainers have their merits. Can indoor trainers replace outdoor riding altogether? Of course not, and no one ever said that it would or could, but that doesn't mean they don't have merit. One of the big things with an indoor trainer is interval training is much more effective than outdoors, there is no coasting, no variables in the terrain, no variables in wind direction or speed, you can do low cadence intervals or strength endurance intervals or very high cadence workouts, this makes doing intervals more difficult inside than outside and is more controlled and thus more tuned to specific needs and more accurate; it also helps with refining your pedal stroke. Zwift is a very important tool now in pro cycling.

I guess what I can't figure out is why you respond the way you do on any subject without first checking the internet to see if what you are saying is true, but you don't, so many times what you say is wrong, and everyone just laughs at you. I would think you would get really tired of knowing that people are laughing at you, but maybe you like that sort of abuse.

The reason speeds haven't gone up that much in the TDF is because cyclists today are not as tough as they were way back prior to the 60's. Prior to WW2 the riders rarely even rode on paved roads! Most of the roads were gravel and dirt, and some were cobblestones, plus the miles they put on per day were longer, and the race had more days to them, plus the climbs were steeper. And don't forget too that for many years they did that race on those conditions with 2 speed 40 pound bikes that used a flip flop hub to change gears, plus they had to carry several sets of tires around their body; and to add more to all of that they had fix their own flats (which I think riders fixing their own flats stopped in the late 70's). And in 1904 one of the riders was 50 years old! So when you look at the history of the TDF average speed: ( https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tour_de_France_records_and_statistics ) if you note that from 1903 to 1937 there wasn't much in the way of speed gains, so what happened in 1937 to 1950 that caused an upspike in the average speed? the derailleur was introduced so they now had more than 2 gears, plus they didn't have to stop to flip the rear wheel. So from around 1952 to about 1985 there was another spike in the average speed, why was that? they were riding on paved roads. From 1985 till now there has only been a 2 kilometer per hour gain, that's nothing considering bikes went from steel to aluminum to carbon fiber, bikes and rims got more aerodynamic, lighter and much more expensive, aerodynamics played into riding style and clothes/helmets, weight went down, technology on all fronts improved, and EPO came out, and after all of that there were hardly any noticable gains. So when you look at that stuff you begin to realize that the bike itself didn't make a lot of difference. But I think riders use to be stronger then they are today, not sure why that is.

8. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Nuttli went from a fat nobody to a TT pro champ riding a trainer.

9. cyclintom

Are you thinking that perhaps he couldn't have done that riding the roads in Arizona in the winter in 75 degree temperatures?

The posting that CampyBob made and rapidly pulled down showed the "power output" of the group of riders to be 300 watts at 18 mph. Think about that. From memory there were five riders and they were drafting. That meant that they were only putting out max output for 20% of the time. And the numbers were 300 watts? That was totally distorted so that program doesn't give realistic numbers - and CampyBob was arguing that I couldn't be putting out 300 Watts at a steady 20-21 mph into a 20 mph headwind for 10k. Actually Steve Gribble's calculation program was 340 watts but since I did ride a little less than straight into the wind for maybe a total of 1 k of that I reduced it.

I haven't been saying I'm fast. I've been saying that I'm dropped on every climb so making these sorts of numbers can't be that off-the-wall. And CampyBob's Cat 2 friend reporting 250 watts at a heart rate of 150 backs that up as well. His racing heart rate would be probably 170-180 if he's under 30. I was impressed with that power for that heart rate and not because CampyBob thought that was his actual racing power. Max heart rate only extremely rarely changes as much as 0.1% between individuals of common age and fitness levels so despite people saying - "it varies between individuals" it doesn't. I worked on the first real Heart/Lung machine calculating the expansion factor of the aorta so I had to learn a little about this stuff.

10. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Tom, that wasn't the point whether he could done that riding roads in Arizona, the point was he did it on a trainer, why can't you accept the fact that trainers, and Swift work? Like I said before doing intervals on trainers (and Swift) is more accurate and better than on a road. It's like you can't accept the reality that you were wrong about Campy Bob using Zwift, you had to laugh at him and say he can't train on a video game, well YOU'RE WRONG AGAIN!

11. cyclintom

He could have done it lifting weights or using that rowing machine that's available in those gyms as well. So what? Your insistence that he could only have lost weight on a video game isn't flying. And besides, you lose weight by moderating your diet.

12. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Tom Tom Tom, PLEASE go back and show me, us, where I said he could only have lost weight on a video game. So far whenever I asked you to please show me where I supposedly said something that you said that I said you haven't been able to, nor will you this time because you're just a blowhard. And you can't prove that he was lifting weights or using a rowing machine, or any other devices, can you? But that's neither here nor there, he couldn't become a pro rider by just using weights and a rowing machine. Who said he was in a gym cycling on a trainer all that time? I know a lot of people who go to the gym and work out and ride trainers and they're nowhere near becoming a pro cyclist! So if

Again you're failing to comprehend, which is nothing new for you just frustrating for the rest of us here. What I said repeatedly was: "that wasn't the point whether he could done that riding roads in Arizona, the point was he did it on a trainer, why can't you accept the fact that trainers, and Swift work? Like I said before doing intervals on trainers (and Swift) is more accurate and better than on a road." Where in that statement that I made does it even talk about Campy Bob? where in that statement does it talk about weight loss? That statement was in regards to Jhuskey's statement where he said this: "Nuttli went from a fat nobody to a TT pro champ riding a trainer." My statement was about Nuttli not Campy Bob, and about becoming a pro by using trainer, not about losing weight; do you understand now or are you still out in the weed patch smoking like crazy?

You cannot lose weight and keep it off by just diet alone, it's a combination of diet and exercise. Where have you been for the last 78 years? Living in a cave devoid of all human contact? While it is possible to lose weight by diet alone but that involves eating fewer calories than is required to stay healthy, so you could starve yourself to death and diet that way; but to lose weight and to keep it off for the long haul, the healthy way is to combine a sensible diet program with a sensible cardio exercise program. Even people with anorexia will combine eating very little, or eating and then throwing it up which then becomes bulimia, will combine cardio exercise to lose weight.

13. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

The point is that he became a world class Time Trialist by ride a trainer 6 to 8 hours day. He raced for Phonak and has long since retired. It is an intetesting story and might make a good movie.

14. cyclintom

Well it would make an interesting movie for we riders, But we're pretty rare in the scheme of things. Movies are really expensive to make and distribute.

15. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Pretty sure Phonak could afford to bankroll it if he wanted to being that he is a billionaire.

16. cyclintom

On one of my jobs I designed the digital switching network for the Clear-Com intercom system used on all radio, TV and Movie sets. My pal, Charley Butten designed all of the analog part of it. Clear-Com won an Emmy award for it and Charley ended up winning four. But he also designed the outside sound systems that didn't echo for groups like Led Zeppelin. So everyone was looking to give him some sort of award or other.

In any case, you don't make movies that won't make their production costs back.

17. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Riis loves cycling. He can do what the hell he wants. He has probably lost millions sponsoring teams. Will he ever get in the movie business? I have no idea but probaly not and not worth debating. It was just a side comment. Side note , do not respond to Tom again

18. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

there Tom goes again, now he's created the digital switching network for the Clear-Com intercom system used on all radio, TV and Movie sets. Yawn.

19. jhuskey

jhuskey Moderator

Who?:)

20. Froze

Froze Well-Known Member

Was that hint? I hope!