Miles per week?

Discussion in 'Cycling Training' started by jbchrist, Jul 23, 2004.

1. jbchrist

jbchrist New Member

:cool: How many miles per week do you ride, and what kind of rider are you (i.e. racer, pro, avid, or just fitness)?

Tags:

2. mareblu

mareblu New Member

I generally do about 30-40 per week not much! :( I hope to have more time this fall to increase the amount of miles I ride. :) I spend more time reading and writing about cycling than riding outdoors. What about you? :D

3. starship

starship New Member

My goal is 50 miles plus a week, so far, (7 weeks) I have not missed that mark, have gone over, but at least 50.

Stats: 49 years old. Losing weight, burning stress, and loving to ride! :p

4. mareblu

mareblu New Member

Cool!
    Love the avatar! :)

5. rek

rek New Member

I aim for at least 200km (125mi) per week, a mix of commuting, road riding, and mountain biking.

I ride mostly to improve fitness (and skip having to deal with peak hour traffic in a car ;) ), but get into a bit of MTB-O competition now and then.

6. Columbia

Columbia New Member

240 miles per week here. I'm an avid racer, but I love riding so much that I'd probably do that even if I wasn't racing. I'd do less intervals though (is it just me, or do they hurt a lot?).

7. closesupport

closesupport Banned

I ride 9-10 miles each day to work, 30-40 miles on my days off depending on the weather. i like to ride in the largest of my gears and make my legs hurt.

how does everyone cope with not being able to cycle when its raining out and you desire your Fix! are the elite turbo trainers anygood, how do you know how fast your going or gone and distance.. which type are the best, AIR, Magnetic or water or is there anyothers??

8. mattv2099

mattv2099 New Member

What are you talking about? I am quite able to cycle when it's raining out...

9. bruin11

bruin11 New Member

I try to ride at least 100 miles a week sometimes more, sometimes less. I try to get 2 weekday rides and 2 longer weekend rides

10. byron27

byron27 New Member

280 miles per week. Its winter in australia at the moment so it means alot of riding in the dark (and its cold!). Im doing base training for the summer crit series that starts in october. Im a semi-serious (read serious when i can be arsed) racer. :)

11. starship

starship New Member

Email me a picture (or pictures) and I'll build one for you. Animations are fun!

12. mareblu

mareblu New Member

13. Doctor Morbius

Doctor Morbius New Member

My exercise week starts on Monday and ends on Sunday. This week I've ridden 93.78 miles as of Thursday afternoon. Took Friday off. Have 2 days of riding to go. Should get in around 12 hours of riding this week.

I train by time & heart rate rather than miles. I do track mileage but it's not as important a metric for me. The average time per week that I've ridden since Feb 23rd is 7.2 hours. A typical recovery week is currently between 5.5 to 7.5 hours. A typical week since June is 8 - 12 hours depending on the weather (I don't ride in the rain for safety reasons) and other obligations. One week I didn't ride at all because I had sprained my ankle. Have no idea how it happened. It was a mystery sprain. Wasn't even drinking either. :confused: By September I hope to be averaging 12 hours a week except for recovery weeks. After that it will be too cold for me to ride. I have asthma and my lungs seize up if it's chilly out.

I train for fitness, fun and fat loss. Most of my rides are on an MTB but I also have a touring bike for when I want a change of pace or the MTB is in peices getting cleaned and lubed (or upgraded).

14. jon_stewart

jon_stewart New Member

While I'm only a newbie, I'm getting great value from the TACX I magic trainer. The catalyst training software is very good, and the virtual worlds are interesting to ride in, the brake being responsive to the road gradient. With the release of the real, interractive video footage next month, there might be a more realistic feel of the road... You can for example ride the Alp d'Huez (I wouldn't even try right now)

On the downside, while it's good, it's not the same as being on the road. I listen to music or watch tv!

Other Views?

15. Whizard

Whizard New Member

Been riding for fitness for two months now, just reached 40 miles/week. I work second-shift hours, so I ride about 9 or 10 a.m., and lately I've been having some trouble with tiredness in the mornings. Don't know if it's because I'm still adjusting to the greater exercise.

I'm taking part in a duathlon relay Aug. 8 - a little more than 9 miles for me, 4 miles total for my runner partner.

16. closesupport

closesupport Banned

I have no other choice, its my only mode of transport, but i only take my road bike out when its nice, my Mtb experiences all the wet weather, plus i find i can go alot faster in the rain, cause throwing caution to the wind, entering pudles and stuff with no care in the world wondering weather there is a pothole large enough to damage my clincher, as experienced yesterday...

:( :mad: maybe now i need a new rimm, 150miles and already damaged :confused:

17. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

I commute to work by car - so this makes it a necessity for me to get out
    training.
    But this part of the world has more rainfall than Manchester ! (Limerick City
    west coast of Ireland !).
    So I try to get out during the summer for two hours per evening, 3 evenings
    per week and then get a cycle in one Saturday and Sunday (3 hours on each day).

The winter is different - use the trainer for an hour to an hour and a half
    three nights per week : the weekends same as summer.
    I use TACX indoor trainer (magnetic job)

But that's only assuming that I can do so around family life - work etc.

18. closesupport

closesupport Banned

Wish i could aford the food bill, already it costs me a fortune, or rather the missus and the kids do. i cycle for a bit of piece and quiet, i also cycle for 3-6 hours at weekends. i try to get away as often as possible, Away i mean out on my bike.

Joking: i try to cycle as often as i can i travel everywhere by bike, i hope to get a cycle trainer for this winter. since i seemed to loose alot of speed and fitness through not doing anything throughout the winter months.

whats the difference, between Air, Magnetic, waterfilled or just plain old roling road.. i can't find anything that gives info on which is est, and which wear the longest. i don't want to have to spend a fortune on something then have to replace it ecause a bearing or something is damaged.

19. limerickman

limerickman Moderator

Like you, I need to train if I want to stay in shape.

I bought a TACX indoor trainer for € 110.00 last year (about 80 sterling)
    and it's fine - it does the job.
    it's not fancy, it's a bog standard frame with a resistance roller at the back of it - so you can adjust the resistance of same.
    It's sturdy and I haven't had a problem with it.
    You just lock the back wheel in and pedal.
    But if you're indoor and you've no ventilation, you sweat heavily so make sure you have a towel over your bike to protect the metal from rusting, when using the indoor trainer.

To be honest with you, I have no idea what waterfilled or Air is !

20. Carrera

Carrera New Member

I ride in the driving rain or even if there are gale force winds and storms.
    What does bug me, though, is the cold. The worst months are Jan and Feb. This year I'll have to invent some way of keeping the hands warm as frozen hands make for a miserable ride.