milk free cake?

abracadabra

Guest
My wife has discovered that consuming milk causes negative side effects and
is now totally off milk. However her birthday is tomorrow and I want to make
her a cake (I prefer to make cakes from "scratch", not using mixes).
Can I use soy-milk as a substitute for milk or cream in making cake or
icing?

Thanks!!!!

abracadabra wrote:
> My wife has discovered that consuming milk causes negative side effects and
> is now totally off milk. However her birthday is tomorrow and I want to make
> her a cake (I prefer to make cakes from "scratch", not using mixes).
> Can I use soy-milk as a substitute for milk or cream in making cake or
> icing?
>
> Thanks!!!!

I have used it in that fashion. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

--

saerah

http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

-Baruch Spinoza

-Douglas Adams

"abracadabra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2tbwf.6747$M%[email protected]...
> My wife has discovered that consuming milk causes negative side effects
> and is now totally off milk. However her birthday is tomorrow and I want
> to make her a cake (I prefer to make cakes from "scratch", not using
> mixes).
> Can I use soy-milk as a substitute for milk or cream in making cake or
> icing?
>
> Thanks!!!!

Wacky cake is the answer. It's a really moist rich chocolate cake. It's
best if it's made the day before though. Another option would be carrot
cake.

Ms P

* Exported from MasterCook *

Wacky Cake

Recipe By :
Serving Size : 9 Preparation Time :0:10
Categories : Cakes

1 cup sugar
1 1/2 cups flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
3 tablespoons cocoa
1/2 teaspoon salt
6 tablespoons oil
1 tablespoon vinegar
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 cup water

Mix dry ingredients into large bowl.

Mix all the liquids together in measureing cup.

Pour the liquids into the dry ingredients, stir until smooth.

Pour batter into greased 8 inch square pan. Bake at 350° for 35 to 40
minutes or until pick inserted in center comes out clean.

Source:
Yield:
"9 pieces"
Start to Finish Time:
"0:50"
- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -

Per Serving (excluding unknown items): 248 Calories; 10g Fat (33.9% calories
from fat); 3g Protein; 39g Carbohydrate; 1g Dietary Fiber; 0mg Cholesterol;
260mg Sodium. Exchanges: 1 Grain(Starch); 0 Lean Meat; 2 Fat; 1 1/2 Other
Carbohydrates.

Nutr. Assoc. : 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0 0

abracadabra wrote:
> My wife has discovered that consuming milk causes negative side effects and
> is now totally off milk. However her birthday is tomorrow and I want to make
> her a cake (I prefer to make cakes from "scratch", not using mixes).
> Can I use soy-milk as a substitute for milk or cream in making cake or
> icing?

A bit off-topic (and of course I don't know what's going on with your
wife), but fairly often people who think they're lactose intolerant
actually aren't, it's just the homogenisation (breaking down the fat
structure to keep it from separating) of the milk that causes the
problems. It's worth trying out if you don't already know better.
What comes to milk-free cakes, I'm sure there are tons of recipes
around in the net, since the usual basis for a cake is eggs, flour and
sugar.

"Jarno Tuomainen" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> abracadabra wrote:
>> My wife has discovered that consuming milk causes negative side effects
>> and is now totally off milk. However her birthday is tomorrow and I want
>> to make her a cake (I prefer to make cakes from "scratch", not using
>> mixes).
>> Can I use soy-milk as a substitute for milk or cream in making cake or
>> icing?

> A bit off-topic (and of course I don't know what's going on with your
> wife), but fairly often people who think they're lactose intolerant
> actually aren't, it's just the homogenisation (breaking down the fat
> structure to keep it from separating) of the milk that causes the
> problems. It's worth trying out if you don't already know better.
> What comes to milk-free cakes, I'm sure there are tons of recipes around
> in the net, since the usual basis for a cake is eggs, flour and sugar.

If homogenization is the problem, what is the solution?
Fat free milk?
Buy a milk cow? (I gotta check the neighborhood covenants!)

abracadabra wrote:

> My wife has discovered that consuming milk causes negative side effects and
> is now totally off milk. However her birthday is tomorrow and I want to make
> her a cake (I prefer to make cakes from "scratch", not using mixes).
> Can I use soy-milk as a substitute for milk or cream in making cake or
> icing?
>
> Thanks!!!!

I have a recipe for a 'white wine cake' that does not have any milk in
it, let me know if you would like it. A google group search of joseph
littleshoes+white wine cake should turn it up as i have posted it here
before.
---
JL

"abracadabra" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:2tbwf.6747$M%[email protected]...
> My wife has discovered that consuming milk causes negative side effects
> and is now totally off milk. However her birthday is tomorrow and I want
> to make her a cake (I prefer to make cakes from "scratch", not using
> mixes).
> Can I use soy-milk as a substitute for milk or cream in making cake or
> icing?
>
> Thanks!!!!

try this site for milk free and soy substitute recipes.

Harriet & critters

www.jewishfood-list.com/

abracadabra wrote:

> If homogenization is the problem, what is the solution?
> Fat free milk?
> Buy a milk cow? (I gotta check the neighborhood covenants!)

Well, not surprisingly you just have to buy non-homogenized milk. Search
Google with "non-homogenized milk" for more information on the topic. If
you provide your location, someone around the same area may be able to
provide you with availability information (gourmet food stores are a
good place to start, http://www.realmilk.com/where1.html lists some
locations worldwide, although they're talking about natural unprocessed
milk, which is also non-homogenized).

On Sun, 08 Jan 2006 16:54:22 GMT, "abracadabra" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>My wife has discovered that consuming milk causes negative side effects and
>is now totally off milk. However her birthday is tomorrow and I want to make
>her a cake (I prefer to make cakes from "scratch", not using mixes).
>Can I use soy-milk as a substitute for milk or cream in making cake or
>icing?
>
>Thanks!!!!

I almost never use milk in my cakes... water or fruit juice works
perfectly well for the liquid part of the recipe. And if your wife is
adversely affected by butter, margerine is a perfectly adequate (if
not as yummy) substitute.

--
~Karen aka Kajikit
Crafts, cats, and chocolate - the three essentials of life