Milk, GI and Insulin Response

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Jg, Feb 12, 2004.

  1. Jg

    Jg Guest

    Can anybody tell me why Milk has a low Glycaemic index but produces a *high* Inuslin response?

    -Thanks

    Tags:

  2. No I don´t know the reason why milk reacts in this way. Why doesn´t exist something like an Insulin
    index? Or is milk a rare exception.

    "JG" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
    news:[email protected]...
    > Can anybody tell me why Milk has a low Glycaemic index but produces a *high* Inuslin response?
    >

    > -Thanks

  3. Moosh:)

    Moosh:) Guest

    On Sat, 14 Feb 2004 22:23:38 GMT, "merlijn spinnewijn"
    <[email protected]> posted:

    >No I don´t know the reason why milk reacts in this way. Why doesn´t exist something like an
    >Insulin index? Or is milk a rare exception.

    There is an insulin index, it makes interesting reading.

    http://venus.nildram.co.uk/veganmc/insulin.htm

    Moosh:)

  4. Frank Roy

    Frank Roy Guest

    JG wrote:

    > Can anybody tell me why Milk has a low Glycaemic index but produces a *high* Inuslin response?

    This is from "The New Glucose Revolution" - Chapter 4, the most frequently asked questions -
    answered p. 56:

    "I've read that dairy products cause an increase in insulin secretion. There GI value is around 30-
    50 but their insulin index is three times higher.

    Scientist don't the reason why dairy products do this. Our guess is that milk proteins are
    'insulinogenic' because they are meant to stimulate growth of young mammals. Insulin is an anabolic
    hormone designed to drive nutrients in to cells ..."

    Frank