Milk. Good or bad in relation to cycling performance?

danny shep

Jun 20, 2007
Im a health concious rider who likes to know that what i am putting in my body is first of all good for me and also in some way beneficial to my cycling performance. Something i have incorporated into my diet for several years now are big bowls of cereals and several glasses of either milk or chocolate milk.
My breakfast is always a lot fat filling wheat cereal with a pint of semi skimmed milk and i always have another bowl of similar size before bed with a glass of chocolate milk. I feel fine on the bike and don't feel that this level of milk consumption holds me back as i use it as one of my daily sources of protein but i was just wondering if anyone had any thoughts on whether they feel i should cut down, increase or maintain my current milk intake to improve my performance on the bike, or whether the milk has no impact on cycling at all.

there was a recent study released from the UK saying that Milk had 4 times the benefit in relation to hydration than water, so it may actually be a benefit.

hoggy said:
there was a recent study released from the UK saying that Milk had 4 times the benefit in relation to hydration than water, so it may actually be a benefit.
Would you post a link to the study?

Dave

I don't use skimmed milk because some variants contain carcinogenic additives to make it thicker since skimmed milk is generally thinner than whole milk because the fat content was removed, that's why it's 0 fat or fat free. I use the traditionally used whole milk because of its good taste but if your looking for the best then I would suggest that you drink Almond Milk, it has no bad cholesterol and saturated fats and can help decrease the risk of some forms of cancer.

https://www.canstarblue.co.nz/food-drink/a-guide-to-different-types-of-milk/#

If we're talking purely in terms of protein/calcium intake, you've got healthier options than milk. Seeds like poppy, sesame, celery, and chia are loaded with calcium, protein, and omega-3 fatty acids and are easily integrated into foods like smoothies, yogurts, and cereals.

I personally choose not to consume dairy products because I became a bit disillusioned after seeing some behind the scenes footage of what goes on at dairy farms. I don't like preaching, so I'm not going to, but drinking milk and recalling the footage at the same time literally makes me gag. There's a lot of really gross and unethical stuff involved in the dairy industry that many people aren't aware of.

It's one thing to drink milk from happy, healthy cows. Milk in general isn't unhealthy for us. But the stuff they sell in stores has been perverted by additives, antibiotics, blood, and pus from unhappy, sick, and abused cows. If you still choose to drink cow milk, it would be in your best interest to try and get whole, raw milk from local farmers who treat their cows well.

I am not particular with milk. What I drink is the fresh milk in cartons. For me, milk is for the calcium that is needed by my bones so it will not shrink. And with the stamina, I cannot really say if it has an effect. But psychologically, yes, I feel stronger when I drink milk in the morning before I ride.

I usually drink a glass of milk every breakfast, it's a good source of protein and calcium, although in terms of cycling performance, there are a number of alternatives which is better than milk.

I like that milk keep us fit and strong. And yes, I can see how it improve our every day performance. Sometimes I would drink more than 2 glasses a day. It's that good.

I usually drink a glass of milk every breakfast, it's a good source of protein and calcium, although in terms of cycling performance, there are a number of alternatives which is better than milk.

That's nice. I usually drink milk after meals. It's like my dessert instead of having artificial juice. I love how it makes me feel full and ready for the next day.

I think it's really hard to notice that. The improvement of the performance because of the glasses of milk. Yeah, we all know that milk is healthy and good source of protein, potassium and make our bones become stronger because of calcium. However, we also eat a lot of foods and we can also get energy from that.

In general Milk hydrates a cyclist and white it's calcium and other vitamins and minerals it can improve ones cycling performance. I do believe that it's better than water.

I always take milk before I go for a bike ride and I think that it has been of immense benefits to me. The only thing that should be a worry is adding too much sugar which I always try as much as I can to avoid since it is not the best for me.

In general Milk hydrates a cyclist and white it's calcium and other vitamins and minerals it can improve ones cycling performance. I do believe that it's better than water.

That's true as taking milk has not had any negative effects on me rather it has assisted in boosting my performance when I am riding the bike which is really good as well.

Fresh Milk or Whole Milk taken without sugar is basically alkaline and that helps balance the acidity in the body. Also drinking plain milk counters acid reflux among other health and nutritional benefits.