Milk

What do you mean by a 'good ride'? If that is all you are going to consume, then no. Milk contains the slower protein casin and has a lower glycemic index. After a hard ride you are looking quickly replace what you spent with a mix of high and maybe medium glycemic index carbs and some medium to fast protein like whey - the amounts and ratios would of course depend on the workout. Milk can be a part of your recovery meal, but it shouldn't be the only thing.

Iankatz said:
Is milk good to drink after a good ride?
I'd say yes, if it's low-fat or skim milk. The lactose (sugar) plus protein should make it good as carb replacement after a ride.

in.10.city said:
What do you mean by a 'good ride'? If that is all you are going to consume, then no. Milk contains the slower protein casin and has a lower glycemic index. After a hard ride you are looking quickly replace what you spent with a mix of high and maybe medium glycemic index carbs and some medium to fast protein like whey - the amounts and ratios would of course depend on the workout. Milk can be a part of your recovery meal, but it shouldn't be the only thing.
By "Good ride," I mean 700-800 cal. an hour ride.

dhk said:
I'd say yes, if it's low-fat or skim milk. The lactose (sugar) plus protein should make it good as carb replacement after a ride.
This is what I thought.

If that's all you have, then it's better than nothing. But there are much better recovery drinks and meals out there - either pre-made or made with things you buy separately combine.

in.10.city said:
If that's all you have, then it's better than nothing. But there are much better recovery drinks and meals out there - either pre-made or made with things you buy separately combine.

Like what?

Iankatz said:
Like what?
You can buy Endurox R4 or other post workout mixes. If you want to make your own, you can use milk AND other ingredients like honey, sugar, dextrose, whey protein powder, fruit for a smoothie, fruit juice, glutamine powder... A good 4:1 (grams carbs : grams protein) recovery meal will get you refueled and ready to train hard again quicker.