Milk

rclouviere

Apr 10, 2011
I've been unable to find good information on which type of milk is the best: skim, 1%, 2%, whole???

There seems to be conflicting information on this...

Also, how about a creamer for coffee: 1/2 and 1/2, the above-types of milk, or a powdered creamer?

Reactions: Kakashi
Originally Posted by rclouviere
I've been unable to find good information on which type of milk is the best: skim, 1%, 2%, whole???

There seems to be conflicting information on this...

Also, how about a creamer for coffee: 1/2 and 1/2, the above-types of milk, or a powdered creamer?
Who knows, probably neither is best when you think about it. Unless you're a calf that is.

My suggestion is to drink whatever type you like best, your health won't be compromised by consuming one over the other or even if you have no milk at all. If you're consuming a lot of milk, keep in mind about 50% of it's calories come from fat, so if you're knocking back litres of it your fat intake can increase a fair bit without realising it.

If you want information on food from a macro and micro nutrient level, cronometer.com is a fantastic website. It's much better than subjective BS like i've posted above
cool.png

Reactions: rclouviere
Reduced fat milk is for women
wink.png

But I agree with Steve, there really is no "best". It all depends on what your diet and fitness goals are.

It differs with every person so we cannot tell with 100% confidence that which should work for you but you can judge it yourself if you are feeling over weight then you surely want skimmed milk but if you do lots of exercise and burn lots of calories then you don't have to drink skimmed milk. The best thing for me to take the milk in its natural form if you can to get most benefit from it.

Reactions: rclouviere
You might like:

http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/

Quote: Good sources [of calcium] include dairy products, which have the highest concentration per serving of highly absorbable calcium, and dark leafy greens or dried beans, which have varying amounts of absorbable calcium.

But vitamin K is important to bone health too.

Quote: Vitamin K, which is found mainly in green, leafy vegetables, likely plays one or more important roles in calcium regulation and bone formation. Low levels of circulating vitamin K have been linked with low bone density, and supplementation with vitamin K shows improvements in biochemical measures of bone health.

Kale is loaded with vitamin K, and much more (webmd link).

This portion of the Harvard article describes milk's pros and cons.
http://www.hsph.harvard.edu/nutritionsource/calcium-full-story/#calcium-from-milk
Prostate cancer !?
But the risk appears to be associated with excess calcium rather than the milk itself.

For me Whole milk is the best because it's the closest thing we could drink that came from a cow, well of course it's pasteurized and treated but the taste and nutrition of whole milk to me is the best compared with the taste and benefits of other types of milk. The second is Long Life Milk or UHT milk which means Ultra High Temperature milk which by its name has undergone a much higher temperature in its pasteurization process, it has the same nutrients and vitamins that whole milk has only it has a longer shelf period. The third would be goats milk which has a lower fat content but I really don't like the taste of it. I'm recommending the whole milk because it's the taste good with the best overall benefits.

I don’t bother with the type when it comes to milk. Whether it is whole, skim, or whatever is in the label, what I look for is the description that it is fresh milk and it wouldn’t matter. Goat’s milk is better but it’s more expensive than the more common cow’s milk. Our staple for breakfast is either fresh milk laced with chocolate powder or fruit juice.

We always take cow milk over here and while I don't really feel that they are the best, I believe that they have got that nice nutrients that our body desires so much.

Im used to drinking Fortified Full Cream Powdered Milk, it's tastier and more nutritious because it's been fortified with vitamins and minerals. There's also what we call here Sterilized Milk which is very delicious people drink it outvof the can.