Millar admits EPO Use

Discussion in 'Road Cycling' started by Steve McGinty, Jun 25, 2004.

  1. Tags:

  2. B. Lafferty

    B. Lafferty Guest

    "Steve McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport_L-
    ng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml

    > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours of
    > questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to the
    > newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug were
    > found at his home in the French Atlantic resort town of
    > Biarritz.
    >

    > Regards! Stephen

    And IIRC, he never tested positive. This beautiful sport is
    being destroyed from within.

  3. On 06/25/2004 03:48 AM, in article
    [email protected], "Steve McGinty"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport-
    > _Lng0_Spo18_Evt6083_S to605927.shtml
    >
    > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours of
    > questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to the
    > newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug were
    > found at his home in the French Atlantic resort town of
    > Biarritz.

    What a shitbrick.

    I predict that Migraine withdraws funding from the team at
    the end of the season ... no more Cofidis.

    Thing is with Millar ... I would have thought that he'd be
    racing clean this year for sure (if not in years past) due
    to l'affaire Cofidis, especially, as shitty as he's been
    doing ....

    --
    Steven L. Sheffield stevens at veloworks dot com veloworks
    at worldnet dot ay tea tee dot net bellum pax est libertas

  4. Steve McGinty <[email protected]> writes:

    > http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport-
    > _Lng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml
    >
    > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours of
    > questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to the
    > newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug were
    > found at his home in the French Atlantic resort town of
    > Biarritz.

    [L'Equipe] «Millar aurait reconnu avoir utilisé de l'Eprex
    (erythropoïetine) dans l'exercice de sa profession ce qui le
    place aujourd'hui réglementairement dans la même situation
    qu'un coureur contrôlé positif au regard de l'Union cycliste
    internationale»,

    Awfully strange stuff to put in your Haggis, Laddie!!!

    --
    le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett No e-patents, pas de brevets
    logiciels Pétition contre les brevets logiciels :

  5. HandyAndy

    HandyAndy New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    This is the last thing the sport needs now!Just days before the TDF as well!Now cofidis is going to be a headless chicken in the race, unless the tour officials stop them from riding.Have to agree that I think this is the end for Cofidis.Millar has a lot to answer for!This wasnt some domestique but a world champion!

  6. > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours of
    > questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to the
    > newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug were
    > found at his home in the French Atlantic resort town of
    > Biarritz.

    None of you actually believed that this global citizen
    (he regards himself as not as a Scot, but as a citizen
    of the world), had the abilities he displayed? Put the
    peloton in Abu Graib, and you'd soon find out the whole
    gig is a fraud.

  7. On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:16:34 GMT, Davey Crockett wrote:
    > Steve McGinty <[email protected]> writes:
    >> http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/spor-
    >> t_Lng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml
    >>
    >> David Millar [...] admitted to police that he used EPO,
    >> according to French newspaper l'Equipe.
    >
    > http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20040625_091924Dev.html
    > «Millar aurait reconnu avoir utilisé de l'Eprex
    > (erythropoïetine)

    Eurosport is jumping the gun, CN too in its headline, but
    not in the article with the abundant "allegedly"s. Nothing
    confirmed yet: "aurait reconnu" -- would have admitted.

  8. Gym Gravity

    Gym Gravity Guest

    Steve McGinty wrote:
    > http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport-
    > _Lng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml
    >
    > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours of
    > questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to the
    > newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug were
    > found at his home in the French Atlantic resort town of
    > Biarritz.
    >

    > Regards! Stephen
    This is tabloid bullshit. These are trumped up charges. His
    confession was coerced. Millar has never tested positive.

  9. "Steven L. Sheffield" <[email protected]> writes:

    > On 06/25/2004 03:48 AM, in article
    > [email protected], "Steve
    > McGinty" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/spo-
    > > rt_Lng0_Spo18_Evt6083_S to605927.shtml
    > >
    > > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours
    > > of questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    > > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to the
    > > newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug were
    > > found at his home in the French Atlantic resort town of
    > > Biarritz.
    >

    > What a shitbrick.
    >
    > I predict that Migraine withdraws funding from the team at
    > the end of the season ... no more Cofidis.
    >
    > Thing is with Millar ... I would have thought that he'd be
    > racing clean this year for sure (if not in years past) due
    > to l'affaire Cofidis, especially, as shitty as he's been
    > doing ....

    You would have thought so, wouldn't you.

    However, I'm strongly of the belief that 99% of the riders
    are taking something.........

    --
    le Vent a Dos Davey Crockett No e-patents, pas de brevets
    logiciels Pétition contre les brevets logiciels :
    http://petition.eurolinux.org Six-Day site:
    http://members.rogers.com/sixday/sixday.html Please address
    all replies to the list

  10. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:16:34 GMT, Davey Crockett wrote:
    >> Steve McGinty <[email protected]> writes:

    http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport_L-
    ng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml

    >>> David Millar [...] admitted to police that he used EPO,
    >>> according to French newspaper l'Equipe.
    >>
    >> http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20040625_091924Dev.html
    >> «Millar aurait reconnu avoir utilisé de l'Eprex
    >> (erythropoïetine)
    >
    > Eurosport is jumping the gun, CN too in its headline, but
    > not in the article with the abundant "allegedly"s. Nothing
    > confirmed yet: "aurait reconnu" -- would have admitted.

    I think I might have translated it as either "may have
    admitted" or "might have admitted." Thus, my translation
    would have been:

    "According to the June 25th edition of L'Equipe, David
    Millar may have admitted to have taken EPO during his 48
    hour interrogation at the Biarritz police station. 'Millar
    may have acknowledged having used Eprex during his career,
    which would place him in the same category as a rider who
    had tested positive from the UCI's point of view,' wrote
    the journal."

  11. On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:38:19 +0200, Robert Chung wrote:
    > I think I might have translated it as either "may have
    > admitted"

    Thanks. I like to think I'm struggling less and less to find
    the right can/may/would/could/etc, but obviously still screw
    it up now and again (maybe put off by a post with the same
    translation in u.r.c.).

    E.-"Can I take your coat, sir? -- I don't know, can you?"

  12. On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 14:38:19 +0200, "Robert Chung" <[email protected]>
    wrote:

    >"According to the June 25th edition of L'Equipe, David
    >Millar may have admitted to have taken EPO during his 48
    >hour interrogation at the Biarritz police station. 'Millar
    >may have acknowledged having used Eprex during his career,
    >which would place him in the same category as a rider who
    >had tested positive from the UCI's point of view,' wrote
    >the journal."

    I'm impressed. Anyone that will take EPO right there in the
    police station in order to get through a 48 hour
    interrogation has cajones.

    Or am I reading that wrong?

    Curtis L. Russell Odenton, MD (USA) Just someone on
    two wheels...

  13. Tuschinski

    Tuschinski New Member

    Joined:
    Nov 18, 2003
    ROFLMAO!!!!

  14. Steve McGinty wrote:
    > http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport-
    > _Lng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml
    >
    > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours of
    > questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to the
    > newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug were
    > found at his home in the French Atlantic resort town of
    > Biarritz.
    >

    > Regards! Stephen

    Guess Gaumont was telling the truth, after David called him
    "a comlete nutter" and a manipulator. Hope David saved up
    some of his earnings, he'll need something to live on during
    his suspension.

  15. Simon

    Simon Guest

    "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Steve McGinty wrote:

    http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport_L-
    ng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml

    > > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours
    > > of questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    > > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to the
    > > newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug were
    > > found at his home in the French Atlantic resort town of
    > > Biarritz.
    > >

    > > Regards! Stephen
    >

    > Guess Gaumont was telling the truth, after David called
    > him "a comlete nutter" and a manipulator. Hope David saved
    > up some of his earnings, he'll need something to live on
    > during his suspension.

    This is the end of the road for Confidis; surely now they
    will be thrown out of the tour?

    Also a sad day for a dear friend of mine, a lady called
    June, who used to coach David when he was young. She has
    utmost faith in him, he gave her his first yellow Jersey
    signed to 'Auntie June'.

    Are we heading for another 98 tour? The timings are
    dreadful for the sport, and will lead to media
    scandalisation of the whole sport. If you have some paint
    and no brain then head for the route now to start painting
    those syringes on the road!

    As for me, well even I am beginning to question Lance
    Armstrong. This whole affair will give the LA book even more
    credibility.

    Simon

  16. HandyAndy wrote:

    > This is the last thing the sport needs now!Just days
    > before the TDF as well!Now cofidis is going to be a
    > headless chicken in the race, unless the tour officials
    > stop them from riding.Have to agree that I think this is
    > the end for Cofidis.Millar has a lot to answer for!This
    > wasnt some domestique but a world champion!
    >

    > --

    There's still O'Grady.

  17. Jeff Jones

    Jeff Jones Guest

    "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Ewoud Dronkert wrote:
    > > On Fri, 25 Jun 2004 11:16:34 GMT, Davey Crockett wrote:
    > >> Steve McGinty <[email protected]> writes:

    http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport_L-
    ng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml

    > >> http://www.lequipe.fr/Cyclisme/20040625_091924Dev.html
    > >> «Millar aurait reconnu avoir utilisé de l'Eprex
    > >> (erythropoïetine)
    > >
    > > Eurosport is jumping the gun, CN too in its headline,
    > > but not in the article with the abundant "allegedly"s.
    > > Nothing confirmed yet: "aurait reconnu" -- would have
    > > admitted.
    >
    > I think I might have translated it as either "may have
    > admitted" or "might have admitted." Thus, my translation
    > would have been:

    The first sentence of the <i>l'Equipe</i article puts it in
    :no-nonsense: simple past tense. "David Millar a reconnu
    s'etre dope, hier...."

    Jeff (bad html, moi?)

  18. Clovis Lark

    Clovis Lark Guest

    Simon <[email protected]> wrote:

    > "Richard Adams" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    >> Steve McGinty wrote:
    >> >
    > http://www.eurosport.com/home/pages/V4/L0/S18/E6083/sport-
    > _Lng0_Spo18_Evt6083_Sto605927.shtml
    >> >
    >> > David Millar, who was released Thursday after 48 hours
    >> > of questioning, admitted to police that he used EPO,
    >> > according to French newspaper l'Equipe. According to
    >> > the newspaper, several empty vials of the banned drug
    >> > were found at his home in the French Atlantic resort
    >> > town of Biarritz.
    >> >

    >> > Regards! Stephen
    >>

    >> Guess Gaumont was telling the truth, after David called
    >> him "a comlete nutter" and a manipulator. Hope David
    >> saved up some of his earnings, he'll need something to
    >> live on during his suspension.
    >>

    > This is the end of the road for Confidis; surely now they
    > will be thrown out of the tour?

    LeBlanc just gave Millar his hearty "blessing" (Something
    akin to "hope you have a good life...").

    > Also a sad day for a dear friend of mine, a lady called
    > June, who used to coach David when he was young. She has
    > utmost faith in him, he gave her his first yellow Jersey
    > signed to 'Auntie June'.

    > Are we heading for another 98 tour? The timings are
    > dreadful for the sport, and will lead to media
    > scandalisation of the whole sport. If you have some paint
    > and no brain then head for the route now to start painting
    > those syringes on the road!

    > As for me, well even I am beginning to question Lance
    > Armstrong. This whole affair will give the LA book even
    > more credibility.

    > Simon

  19. David Off

    David Off Guest

    Robert Chung wrote:

    > Ewoud Dronkert wrote: I think I might have translated it
    > as either "may have admitted" or "might have admitted."
    > Thus, my translation would have been:

    Ok 'nuff French 101. I think you'll find "Millar allegedly
    admitted to taking drugs." will do. What this means is that
    someone thinks they heard him admitting and went and phoned
    l'Equippe.

    The potential charges are worse than that, he may be charged
    with trafficking as he was supplying his team mates and
    could/would/might (insert modal verb to choice) do stir.

  20. Robert Chung

    Robert Chung Guest

    Jeff Jones wrote:
    > "Robert Chung" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >> I think I might have translated it as either "may have
    >> admitted" or "might have admitted." Thus, my translation
    >> would have been:
    >>
    > The first sentence of the <i>l'Equipe</i article puts it
    > in :no-nonsense: simple past tense. "David Millar a
    > reconnu s'etre dope, hier...."

    Yeah. In French papers, the future conditional
    circumlocution thing probably means something like
    "allegedly," which is what you had in cyclingnews.com. In
    the US, the newspapers would probably have written
    something like, "on condition of anonymity, a source close
    to the investigation reported that Millar admitted to
    having used EPO."