Millar Line: a bit of history.

Ryan Cousineau

Guest
I happened to be surfing through fairly random web pages when I found
this quote on one that had not been updated for a while:

Another season passes; and I suspect there are many people who are glad
that it is over. Certainly the events in Italy (particularly at the
Giro) have hardly been encouraging. On the other hand, a new generation
- led by the likes of David Millar (just pipped by Jan Ullrich in the
World Time Trial championship) in France, Oscar Sevilla in Spain and
Ivan Basso in Italy - has started to emerge; perhaps these are the first
"post-EPO generation"?

http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veloarchive/

I have nothing to add to that. It's a perfect gem, almost too perfect to
believe.

Of course, as we all know now, only Millar among these is clean.

Share & Enjoy,

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:

> I happened to be surfing through fairly random web pages when I found
> this quote on one that had not been updated for a while:

> Another season passes; and I suspect there are many people who are
> glad that it is over. Certainly the events in Italy (particularly at
> the Giro) have hardly been encouraging. On the other hand, a new
> generation - led by the likes of David Millar (just pipped by Jan
> Ullrich in the World Time Trial championship) in France, Oscar
> Sevilla in Spain and Ivan Basso in Italy - has started to emerge;
> perhaps these are the first "post-EPO generation"?
>
> http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veloarchive/
>
> I have nothing to add to that. It's a perfect gem, almost too perfect
> to believe.
>
> Of course, as we all know now, only Millar among these is clean.

Erm, umm, huh? You mean he is clean because he got busted for using EPO
and just finished serving his two year suspension? That may be true,
and it may not be. I suspect many riders just get craftier with their
doping, or hire better doctors.

Tim McNamara wrote:
> In article <[email protected]>,
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I happened to be surfing through fairly random web pages when I found
> > this quote on one that had not been updated for a while:

> > Another season passes; and I suspect there are many people who are
> > glad that it is over. Certainly the events in Italy (particularly at
> > the Giro) have hardly been encouraging. On the other hand, a new
> > generation - led by the likes of David Millar (just pipped by Jan
> > Ullrich in the World Time Trial championship) in France, Oscar
> > Sevilla in Spain and Ivan Basso in Italy - has started to emerge;
> > perhaps these are the first "post-EPO g eneration"?
> >
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veloarchive/
> >
> > I have nothing to add to that. It's a perfect gem, almost too perfect
> > to believe.
> >
> > Of course, as we all know now, only Millar among these is clean.

> Erm, umm, huh? You mean he is clean because he got busted for using EPO
> and just finished serving his two year suspension? That may be true,
> and it may not be. I suspect many riders just get craftier with their
> doping, or hire better doctors.

I now see how it is that you were completely unable to understand my
posts either.

41 wrote:
> I now see how it is that you were completely unable to understand my
> posts either.

The fact that he may have missed this point does not in any way suggest
that your own posts make any sense.

In article <[email protected]>,
Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote:

> In article <[email protected]>,
> Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > I happened to be surfing through fairly random web pages when I found
> > this quote on one that had not been updated for a while:

> > Another season passes; and I suspect there are many people who are
> > glad that it is over. Certainly the events in Italy (particularly at
> > the Giro) have hardly been encouraging. On the other hand, a new
> > generation - led by the likes of David Millar (just pipped by Jan
> > Ullrich in the World Time Trial championship) in France, Oscar
> > Sevilla in Spain and Ivan Basso in Italy - has started to emerge;
> > perhaps these are the first "post-EPO generation"?
> >
> > http://homepage.ntlworld.com/veloarchive/
> >
> > I have nothing to add to that. It's a perfect gem, almost too perfect
> > to believe.
> >
> > Of course, as we all know now, only Millar among these is clean.

> Erm, umm, huh? You mean he is clean because he got busted for using EPO
> and just finished serving his two year suspension? That may be true,
> and it may not be. I suspect many riders just get craftier with their
> doping, or hire better doctors.

Argh. I mis-posted this here, and later superseded it over to rbr, where
it belongs.

Without the context from that group (short version: Millar gave a press
conference at the start of the Tour about how glad he was the Tour was
clean thanks to Operation Puerto etc...some mildly ironic stuff about
the importance of a clean Tour, in the usual "paid my dues" mode. I
decided that since Millar was clean...oh heck, this is boring:

http://groups.google.com/groups?client=safari&rls=en&oe=UTF-8&ie=UTF-8&q=
Millar+Line&sa=N&tab=ng

http://tinyurl.com/nkcq8

The "Millar Line" defines the line between the remaining dopers and the
clean riders. It's a joke.

What is of course priceless about the sad comment from November 2001 is
that the writer names three young riders he sees as being part of the
younger, clean generation. He also mentions Ullrich in passing.

Of those four, Millar famously got caught holding the EPO two years ago,
and the rest were swept up in the net of "Operation Puerto."