Millennium bridge

Simon Mason

Guest
After London's wobbly one and York's Y2K bridge comes our very own cycle bridge which should have
been installed two years ago but it was made too short. It was opened in Sep 2002, but closed again
shortly afterward due too a fault with the swing opening. It's now finally fixed and means cyclists
can now go from one side of Hull to the other all along the banks of the Humber without a major
detour. It's that thing with a yellow "postage stamp" on it.
http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbridge.htm Download time 9 sec 35 kb.

> After London's wobbly one and York's Y2K bridge comes our very own cycle bridge which should have
> been installed two years ago but it was made too short. It was opened in Sep 2002, but closed
> again shortly afterward due too a fault with the swing opening. It's now finally fixed and means
> cyclists can now go from one side of Hull to the other all along the banks of the Humber without a
> major detour. It's that thing with a yellow "postage stamp" on it.
> http://www.simonmason.karoo.net/zbridge.htm Download time 9 sec 35 kb.

The size of the file is useful but the download time needs to be qualified. My download was a
fraction of a second.

I'd like to add the Gateshead Millenium bridge to the above list but as one that worked first time,
looks fantastic and is marvel of engineering.

Colin

> The size of the file is useful but the download time needs to be qualified. My download was a
> fraction of a second.

I've sorted that out for future posts.

> I'd like to add the Gateshead Millenium bridge to the above list but as one that worked first
> time, looks fantastic and is marvel of engineering.

Indeed it is, but I'm happy with one that looks rubbish but gets me from one side to t'other :)

> "Colin Blackburn" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > The size of the file is useful but the download time needs to be qualified. My download was a
> > fraction of a second.
>
> I've sorted that out for future posts.

Yes, I noticed just after I'd posted.

> > I'd like to add the Gateshead Millenium bridge to the above list but as one that worked first
> > time, looks fantastic and is marvel of engineering.
>
> Indeed it is, but I'm happy with one that looks rubbish but gets me from one side to t'other :)

I wasn't slagging of your bridge, I like its utilitarian design. The more cycle bridges the merrier.

Colin

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:43:40 +0000, Simon Mason did issue forth:

> Hey, are you slagging off my bridge? Outside now ;-)

I think we can say with a fair degree of certainty that no-one has ever used that sentence before.

On Mon, 10 Mar 2003 13:47:59 -0000, Colin Blackburn scrawled: ) Okay, my cycle bridge is bigger than
your cycle bridge!

There's a bridge in Oxford that I never knew existed, south of the Oxpens Road. It's on the route
between the Osney Mead industrial estate and the back of the town centre multistorey car park.

It's huge and wrought. I don't understand how I missed it before.

J-P
--
"I'm rolling really hard." Translation:Satan moves through my voice. Soon, control of the world will
be seized by Our Dark Lord. Ave Satanas, kiss the goat.

In message <[email protected]>, Simon Mason <[email protected]> writes
>After London's wobbly one and York's Y2K bridge comes our very own cycle bridge which should have
>been installed two years ago but it was made too short.

AFAIR, the London bridge is a 'get off and walk it' and given the amount of people I see using it,
highly advisable.

--
Martin @ Strawberry Hill

Peterborough has a millennium cycle bridge, too. It's made of recycled steel and is convincingly rusty.

Sadly, the tracks leading to it are rough enough to shake your teeth out. Last time I crossed it, a couple of months ago, there was nothing at the far side but water as far as the eye could see - another bridge too short, evidently.

Chris

Originally posted by J-P.S