Milton, ON - Appleby Rd North...Anyone?

noonievut

Jul 5, 2004
Just wondering if anyone here has ridden up the escarpment on Appleby road, just north of Derry, in Milton. I find it very steep and has a few hairpin turns.

I can get up Steeles no problem, but this road slaughters me...

RADDLESNAKE POINT!

I'm from around this area too! I know what you mean. Nice to meet a fellow Burlington/Miltoner on here! I have not myself tried rattlesnake point climb, but one day.... :eek:

Yes, Rattlesnake is a tough climb, it will surely put you in the red. I have done it many times and each time hurts the same. maybe next time I will try repeats on it :eek:... well maybe not

Jimmy D said:
Yes, Rattlesnake is a tough climb, it will surely put you in the red. I have done it many times and each time hurts the same. maybe next time I will try repeats on it :eek:... well maybe not

What gear do you do it in? I have a triple but last time I never got into the 3rd ring, buddie and I decided that wasn't the day...maybe next time. Next time I'm going to line up the 3rd ring earlier than slowly click over until I'm in the 2nd last gear. When I tried I was standing early and getting a cadance of about 20 :eek:

I have done it in 39/23, but now I have compact road gearing and do it in 34/21 or 34/23 on a bad day, I prefer to do it with as high a cadence as possilbe but generally this climb dictates a low cadence no matter what gear you have unless on a MTB.

Jimmy D said:
I have done it in 39/23, but now I have compact road gearing and do it in 34/21 or 34/23 on a bad day, I prefer to do it with as high a cadence as possilbe but generally this climb dictates a low cadence no matter what gear you have unless on a MTB.
any hill out there wrecks me :eek:

noonievut said:
Just wondering if anyone here has ridden up the escarpment on Appleby road, just north of Derry, in Milton. I find it very steep and has a few hairpin turns.

I can get up Steeles no problem, but this road slaughters me...

Rattlesnake point is my favourite. I'm ususally in my 2nd chain ring going up. Its quite the challange for sure.

It is nice to see other people from the area posting.

noonievut said:
What gear do you do it in? I have a triple but last time I never got into the 3rd ring, buddie and I decided that wasn't the day...maybe next time. Next time I'm going to line up the 3rd ring earlier than slowly click over until I'm in the 2nd last gear. When I tried I was standing early and getting a cadance of about 20 :eek:

I finally made it to the top in September or October. I kept on trying and getting further and further before I had to turn back down.One day I said the hell with it I am going to do it. I was climbing at 6k to 7k per hour, basically the bike was almost stopped. Felt like a great sense of accomplishment afterwards as I have only been riding for just over a year.

sheckie said:
I finally made it to the top in September or October. I kept on trying and getting further and further before I had to turn back down.One day I said the hell with it I am going to do it. I was climbing at 6k to 7k per hour, basically the bike was almost stopped. Felt like a great sense of accomplishment afterwards as I have only been riding for just over a year.

Congrats. Its a tuffy for sure. I didn't get a chance to climb it very often this summer. I moved and my route changed.

Goober2 said:
Congrats. Its a tuffy for sure. I didn't get a chance to climb it very often this summer. I moved and my route changed.
I just moved to Milton and the riding around here is great! You can ride on good roads and there are some great hills to climb. Cycling wasn't one of the reasons I moved to Milton but it is turning out to be one of the best features. :D

The first time I climbed Appleby I got to the top and had to get off the bike and lay down on the grass in front of the Rattlesnake Point sign. I felt sick and like I was going to **** myself. The next time, I didn't have to stop so it gets better.

One of my goals next summer is to try all 5 of the assents up the escarpment in one ride. :D I road 3 of them in one ride this year.

If you like Appleby, check out 6th Line on the other side of the 400. It's the road that runs up beside Halton Falls. I find it to a long climb.

jaybird260 said:
The first time I climbed Appleby I got to the top and had to get off the bike and lay down on the grass in front of the Rattlesnake Point sign. I felt sick and like I was going to **** myself. The next time, I didn't have to stop so it gets better.

One of my goals next summer is to try all 5 of the assents up the escarpment in one ride. :D I road 3 of them in one ride this year.

If you like Appleby, check out 6th Line on the other side of the 400. It's the road that runs up beside Halton Falls. I find it to a long climb.

You must mean Nassagaweya 6th line, another challenging climb. Straight road. steep climb. no end in sight. Coming down is always a blast! watch out for the gravel trucks.

You said 5 assents, there are two that I know of, but what are the other 3? Maybe the other side of rattle snake by the train tracks, you always have that to look forward too on the return trip.

The 5 I'm talking about are:

Appleby from the South
Appleby from the North (this is the side with the train tracks at the bottom).
Steeles
Bell School Line
14th Side Road (this is between Steeles and Derry off Tremain)
Then add in Nassagaweya 6th line and you've had a full day's worth of climbing.

jaybird260 said:
The 5 I'm talking about are:

Appleby from the South
Appleby from the North (this is the side with the train tracks at the bottom).
Steeles
Bell School Line
14th Side Road (this is between Steeles and Derry off Tremain)
Then add in Nassagaweya 6th line and you've had a full day's worth of climbing.

As soon as we can I am going to try these climbs. The hard part will be waiting until April. I guess we will just have to think about the climbs while riding our trainers.

sheckie said:
As soon as we can I am going to try these climbs. The hard part will be waiting until April. I guess we will just have to think about the climbs while riding our trainers.

Hey Sheckie - I just bought a new jersey so you'll have something more interesting to look at when you're riding up those hills....behind me :p

There is also some really good hills to right just a little farther west North Burlington (Kilbride) or even a little farther west once you get into Carlisle and also Snake Road in Burlington to Waterdown.

Hope tosee you guys in that area this spring and sumer

Take Care

There is also some really good hills to right just a little farther west North Burlington (Kilbride) or even a little farther west once you get into Carlisle and also Snake Road in Burlington to Waterdown.

Hope tosee you guys in that area this spring and summer

Take Care

sunfire67 said:

Hope tosee you guys in that area this spring and sumer

Take Care

Snake road is a good one. Another really popular hill in that area is Valley Rd. My brother lives on Valley Rd. Leaving his house for a ride, the first thing you do is have is climb this steep hill right out of the driveway. And around the corner from Valley is Sydenham Rd leading in and out of Dundas, awesome view from up there.

noonievut said:
Hey Sheckie - I just bought a new jersey so you'll have something more interesting to look at when you're riding up those hills....behind me :p
I heard the Michelin Man jerseys were on Sale!:D

origanic said:
RADDLESNAKE POINT!

I'm from around this area too! I know what you mean. Nice to meet a fellow Burlington/Miltoner on here! I have not myself tried rattlesnake point climb, but one day.... :eek:
I love going down Appleby Line, going up, crazy. Mabe on my mountain bike in granny gear!

Just wanted to let cyclists in the area know about a bike rally being organized for September 10th, called Tour de FORCE. You can learn more at www.stopthequarry.ca

We are trying to raise awareness about another quarry trying to set up shop in our favorite cycling area!