mind if I draft you?

I've never had a rider draft me without asking, but if the situation arose I wouldn't be upset or require them to take a pull, unless they joined a paceline. If I'm out alone, I expect to push wind all day long so it's not a big deal. It's preferable for them to announce their presence and intentions, that way I would start pointing out obstacles, rather than just riding by them. In my weekly club rides, I've played the role of a Domestique by pulling dropped riders back up to the group once the group slowed. I don't mind and most people who would want to draft me are probably relatively skilled at drafting. As I'm not a large guy, I actaully offer very little draft benefit. So I probably wouldn't think too much of them ramming or crossing my rear tire.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Just yesterday, I came up on a rider, struggling in the wind. I pulled around, but instead of blowing by him, came along side and asked where he was going. Seeing as how he was going to the same place I was, and we were better than 15 miles away, I told him to get on my wheel. I was relatively fresh (as fresh as one can be after 40 miles of intervals), and it felt good to help out another rider.
good man... i'd probably do the samething if i saw a straggler

I dont understand the point of trying to shake a rider when your off riding by yourself? I mean, just maintain your pace.....lifting your pace will do nothing but screw up with your training.

cucamelsmd15 said:
Just yesterday, I came up on a rider, struggling in the wind. I pulled around, but instead of blowing by him, came along side and asked where he was going. Seeing as how he was going to the same place I was, and we were better than 15 miles away, I told him to get on my wheel. I was relatively fresh (as fresh as one can be after 40 miles of intervals), and it felt good to help out another rider.
As everyone else said, awesome guy! I wish I'd run into another biker to assist or to assist myself. I just never seem to be going the right way... oh well. Good deed, man!

This is an interesting topic that most of us have had some experience with. I ride in Orlando, mostly on the West Orange Trail. On rare occasion I have hooked up with some other riders and not been strong enough to pull on the front. I ALWAYS simply say, "you guys mind if I ride here for a little while?" I have never had anyone turn me down. I think stronger riders appreciate the courtesy.

Bottom line (my opinion): 1) ALWAYS ask permission. Rarely will you be turned down. 2) Do a turn up front, if only for a short time. It will make you stronger and you will earn some amount of respect from your fellow riders even if you are not as strong as they are.

Who knows, you might just make some new friends.

Today I rode with a few friends of mine and we pulled eachother. However, at the beginning of our ride we ran into a rider and his coach. We passed him on his left side and then rode up front of him at about 20mph for a good few miles. He drafted off us, as he matched our speed. Sure enough, though... after awhile I noticed that him and his coach dropped off. Perhaps we weren't riding fast enough or they just didn't like it? I think I'll apologize the next time that I see him just to make things right, if anything's wrong to begin with.

I ride a very popular bicycle trail and have had these kinds of experiences more than once. I remember one time I had ridden 35 miles or so and was just in a low-power groove with my mind wandering and not noticing much. All of a sudden I was surprised when I realized a woman had hooked on to my tail. I gained my concentration back and maintained a straight line. I think some folks will pull onto someone's tail when they get a sense that that rider is going at a pace they want to be able to go at.

My stepson rides, he's 12 and he started to suck the wheels of older riders. Inevitably he'd get compliments from older riders on his riding technique. He doesn't think about it, he just does these things automatically. He is learning by rote.

I have enjoyed many experiences of chatting with riders who'm I've caught and paced for a while or who had caught me and hung with me for a while.

I tend to be a solo rider because I get out when I can get out without having a regular schedule.

That will change. My company is moving, getting closer to where I live so I will be able to ride my bike to work. Eight miles each way. I'll enjoy the rides.

NomadVW said:
First, what I wouldn't do to have this problem...
I'm with you, Nomad. I'm siting here in Malaysian Borneo where I hardly ever see any other riders. There're a few around, but they don't ride at the same time as I do. I like riding with others and I don't care whether they talk or not.
If another rider tags on, I'll make the effort to talk. Sometimes they don't have enough gas in the tank left to speak. If a rider hops on for a bit of wheel-sucking,and then takes off, it doesn't worry me. It hasn't actually affected my ride and I'm only out training.
I personally don't care if a wheel-sucker touches my rear wheel. In my racing experience it was always the drafter who ate asphalt (even in a 2-up TT - eh, Tony C!).
If any of you are ****** off with your local wheel-suckers, send them over here - I could do with the company.

GatorTrek said:
This is an interesting topic that most of us have had some experience with. I ride in Orlando, mostly on the West Orange Trail. On rare occasion I have hooked up with some other riders and not been strong enough to pull on the front. I ALWAYS simply say, "you guys mind if I ride here for a little while?" I have never had anyone turn me down. I think stronger riders appreciate the courtesy.

Bottom line (my opinion): 1) ALWAYS ask permission. Rarely will you be turned down. 2) Do a turn up front, if only for a short time. It will make you stronger and you will earn some amount of respect from your fellow riders even if you are not as strong as they are.

Who knows, you might just make some new friends.
You hit the nail right on the head, ask first! It only bugs me when I am surprised to find someone on my wheel that never announced that they were there. It's not a race, and if their out training, what good does it really do them? If someone asks, then it's fine by me. Usually I'm flattered that they want to draft behind me and it inspires me to pick up the pace and make sure we both get a good work out.

PeterF said:
Usually I'm flattered that they want to draft behind me and it inspires me to pick up the pace and make sure we both get a good work out.
+1

Had both happen to me,I catch a rider(very rare)we talked and both of us picked up the pace.It was a fun ride.

snyper0311 said:
Drafting-I was totally against drafting somebody if they/you didn't let them know you were there. That all changed yesterday. A couple weeks ago, I had a bad tear in my quad and have had to take it easy. I was riding a flat course when I noticed two hot girls in front of me. I passed them and then noticed that they were pulling in right behind me. They rode with me for about ten miles never saying anything to me. They were talking to each other, though. When we got to the end of the ten mile loop, they flanked me and thanked me for the pull. Then, they asked if I rode there often and asked if I would be interested in pacing them for the next couple weeks. They are training for a metric century and liked my pace. Being the gentleman that I am, I said that I wouldn't mind helping them by pacing them. Even though I'm a married man, "dog will hunt!" :D
That started out like a Penthouse Forum story...being married and hoping to live vicariously through you, I'm fairly disappointed. :)

If I'm drafted when I'm riding I actually worry for the drafter because bashing around in traffic is not where you want an unknown x cm from my back wheel. There's barely room for one let alone two. I always try to call the pass so I don't spook anyone. I never get right up behind someone unless it's a totally jammed up street. Though thats never for long for me ... :) When I ride out where drafting is cool I'd like to be asked. I know I do if I'm hurtin at the end of a ride and could use a little break from the lake headwind. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be verbal... there is a universal face that says "Oh man I'm on fumes...can ya help a brother out?", with the proper tilt of the head that say 'come on buddy'.

There is the cavet in traffic in that if being a knob on my back wheel result in my going down I will beat you with my helmet. ;)

Traffic Jammer said:
If I'm drafted when I'm riding I actually worry for the drafter because bashing around in traffic is not where you want an unknown x cm from my back wheel. There's barely room for one let alone two. I always try to call the pass so I don't spook anyone. I never get right up behind someone unless it's a totally jammed up street. Though thats never for long for me ... :) When I ride out where drafting is cool I'd like to be asked. I know I do if I'm hurtin at the end of a ride and could use a little break from the lake headwind. Sometimes it doesn't even have to be verbal... there is a universal face that says "Oh man I'm on fumes...can ya help a brother out?", with the proper tilt of the head that say 'come on buddy'.

There is the cavet in traffic in that if being a knob on my back wheel result in my going down I will beat you with my helmet. ;)
I think Traffic Jammer hit the point. I don't feel threatened or insulted by someone who follows me, but I am almost exclusively a solo cyclist so I have no experience draughting or being draughted. I am a fairly experienced rider, a commuter, utilitarian cyclist and bicycle tourist; I ride in a straight line and spin at a decent pace, but I also like to be able to avoid potholes and traffic hazards without any constraints due to a tailgating cyclist.

This might be considered a warning to those who follow the wheel of a cyclist they don't know. Do not overestimate the ability of an unknown person to ride in a peloton.

If they were actually happy going the same speed as me I'd ask them to join me for a ride next time. I don't know any other cyclists in the area.

the best experience i have had with this so far came after a super long day of riding, which came after a long hiatus from riding due to my bike getting stolen. Needless to say i was totally spent and about 5 miles from home. I was pedaling along at about 13 miles an hour, wondering why i hadn't eaten more before my ride, when i realized there was a guy on my wheel. He stayed for a bit, then came up and said, "how's it going?" I managed to say ok and give him the picture that i was beat. He then moved in front and tried to give me his wheel for a bit, but i was only slowing him down. So off he went with a bit of a smile back at me.

Usually though, i try to say hello or give a nod whenever i pass or sit behind anyone. I usually ride alone, so its always me against the wind, so it doesn't really bother me if someone needs to take advantage for whatever reason, its not affecting my ride.

Drafting - well I guess it depends who it is that is drafting for me. Some people just will not take their turn at the front. Yes, there are those riders whom you wouldn't want at the front, but there's nothing we can do about them, but shake them when we get the chance.

Drafting can be a dangerous thing if one of "those" riders get to the front. I'm sure you know what I mean. Of course there are accidents too.

The other day we were using a pace line to get down the road in a headwind and the lead rider looked away for a second and just missed striking a piece of angled steel that was protuding into the shoulder of the road like a spear. I mean it was close too. The steel was protuding into the drafting lane at waist level. Wow can you imagine what could have happened to the drafting pace line then.

Drafting is fun, but not for the timid and mindful at heart.

:)