Mind Tricks to Get Out and Train

gntlmn

Jul 28, 2003
How many times do we miss a workout because we keep thinking we'll get around to it, and then it just gets too late to do it? Well, I used to have this problem until I figured out how to beat it. This works particularly well if you are training when your alarm goes off in the morning.

You already know what your workout will be from the night or day before. Therefore, you do not want to even think about that at all when you hear the alarm. Consider that when you wake up, you are at the psychologically weakest moment in your day. So you want to baby step it. Think only of first turning off the alarm, and then dressing and getting out the door and riding to the end of the block. That's it. It's very simple. And if you are having trouble with this, just tell yourself at the time that that is all you are trying to accomplish, nothing more, nothing less. When you get to the end of the block, you will then be entitled to go back home and crawl back into bed. And you want to really mean this; you're not lying to yourself.

Then when you get to the end of the block, you tell yourself at that moment whether or not you will train.

All of a sudden, when I started doing this technique, I discovered that instead of missing much training (I was training for a marathon at the time), I was not missing any at all. I never once went from the corner back home and back to bed. But I knew that it was truly my option. I always ended up doing my workout.

My discovery was that you don't want to suggest daunting tasks to a weak mind. Secondly, the weak mind can become very strong in a short period of time. It's largely an appeal to the human need for convenience: "Well, all I have to do is go to the end of the block. Then I can continue this wonderful nap." Or, "Wow, I'm finally waking up, and now that I have all my gear on and I'm this far, I might as well get in my entire workout."

Let me know if this works and/or if you have a different variant of a mind trick you play on yourself in order to get out and train.

I train most often after work when I get home. I do a similar thing to you - I tend to just change into my cycling clothes without thinking much further than that. By the time I'm changed, I'm usually raring to go!

I had to do the same thing......to get up and take the kids to school! I am used to this tactic. Now, 2 days a week, I go to work out and the other 3 days I ride (or so I try to!...sometimes life happens and I have to skip a day or so). Right now, it is fun to me to ride. I am building base miles so, I don't have to work very hard or watch speed or concentrate on climbing. But, come next March, that all changes!

This tactic does work on everything, though! Especially if you're a procrastinator like I am!

Originally posted by gntlmn
How many times do we miss a workout because we keep thinking we'll get around to it, and then it just gets too late to do it? Well, I used to have this problem until I figured out how to beat it. This works particularly well if you are training when your alarm goes off in the morning.

You already know what your workout will be from the night or day before. Therefore, you do not want to even think about that at all when you hear the alarm. Consider that when you wake up, you are at the psychologically weakest moment in your day. So you want to baby step it. Think only of first turning off the alarm, and then dressing and getting out the door and riding to the end of the block. That's it. It's very simple. And if you are having trouble with this, just tell yourself at the time that that is all you are trying to accomplish, nothing more, nothing less. When you get to the end of the block, you will then be entitled to go back home and crawl back into bed. And you want to really mean this; you're not lying to yourself.

Then when you get to the end of the block, you tell yourself at that moment whether or not you will train.

All of a sudden, when I started doing this technique, I discovered that instead of missing much training (I was training for a marathon at the time), I was not missing any at all. I never once went from the corner back home and back to bed. But I knew that it was truly my option. I always ended up doing my workout.

My discovery was that you don't want to suggest daunting tasks to a weak mind. Secondly, the weak mind can become very strong in a short period of time. It's largely an appeal to the human need for convenience: "Well, all I have to do is go to the end of the block. Then I can continue this wonderful nap." Or, "Wow, I'm finally waking up, and now that I have all my gear on and I'm this far, I might as well get in my entire workout."

Let me know if this works and/or if you have a different variant of a mind trick you play on yourself in order to get out and train.

Hmmm, very clever trick. I like it and will adopt it for myself. Thank you very much. ;)

Mel

Read "Strong Minds, Strong Bodies" or something like that by Dr. Randy Strosser.

Thanks, I'll check it out.

Read the historical novel: Aztec. It's been a while, so I don't remember the author, but it's one of the best books I've ever read. I could probably stretch a connection to this thread somehow by how they motivated themselves to go to war and how your actions can be so greatly influenced by your beliefs, but I actually just thought you would be interested judging by your moniker.

Wow, great post, nice to see something worthwile in millions of posts of garbage!

Originally posted by Fat Guy
Wow, great post, nice to see something worthwile in millions of posts of garbage!

My first "goal" when the alarm goes off is simply to to sit up and put both feet on the floor. I keep my HRM strap, jersey and knicks by the bed and pull them on. Once that's done I FEEL like a cyclist. When I feel like a cyclist, I want to go cycling.