Mini pump recommendations

I've just discovered that while my crappy plastic $7 mini pump from
Kmart is fine for my MTB and it's 65PSI tyres, it can't cut the
mustard on my 85-95PSI road tyres. So I was wondering if anyone had
any recommendations for a decent high pressure mini pump that I can
leave in my backpack and take with me everywhere. The tubes are
schrader valves, though most pumps seem to handle presta or schrader.

Some of the Giyo range seem pretty good (the GP71 is supposedly good
for 120PSI and nice and cheap too) and the Blackburn/Tiogas from
Phantomcycles sound pretty good too. I'd like a pump that actually
*is* good though, rather than one that just sounds good :)

Any advice appreciated.

On Jun 1, 2:54 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> I've just discovered that while my crappy plastic $7 mini pump from
> Kmart is fine for my MTB and it's 65PSI tyres, it can't cut the
> mustard on my 85-95PSI road tyres. So I was wondering if anyone had
> any recommendations for a decent high pressure mini pump that I can
> leave in my backpack and take with me everywhere. The tubes are
> schrader valves, though most pumps seem to handle presta or schrader.

the most common recommendation I've seen is don't go for a mini pump.

Get a decent frame pump (Zefal HP are fairly inexpensive and very
reliable) and save yourself the elbow grease when pumping up a flat.

On Jun 1, 3:07 pm, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
> the most common recommendation I've seen is don't go for a mini pump.
>
> Get a decent frame pump (Zefal HP are fairly inexpensive and very
> reliable) and save yourself the elbow grease when pumping up a flat.

Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

This Topeak pump *sounds* good too:
http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=838

I fixed a flat on my MTB in my office one day and reinflated the tyre
with the plastic Kmart pump. It wasn't too bad, it's not like I was
in a hurry :)

On Jun 1, 3:14 pm, [email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 1, 3:07 pm, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > the most common recommendation I've seen is don't go for a mini pump.

> > Get a decent frame pump (Zefal HP are fairly inexpensive and very
> > reliable) and save yourself the elbow grease when pumping up a flat.

> Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
> the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
> survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
> about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

I carry a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX. It works. It fits in a jersey
pocket. It fits in a backpack pocket.
90+psi depending on how much time you spend pumping it.
I don't pump up flats often (maybe a flat every 9-12 months on the
road?), so don't mind if it's a bit slow to inflate with. It's only
for emergencies.

Bleve wrote:
> On Jun 1, 3:14 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Jun 1, 3:07 pm, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> the most common recommendation I've seen is don't go for a mini pump.
>>> Get a decent frame pump (Zefal HP are fairly inexpensive and very
>>> reliable) and save yourself the elbow grease when pumping up a flat.

>> Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
>> the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
>> survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
>> about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

> I carry a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX. It works. It fits in a jersey
> pocket. It fits in a backpack pocket.
> 90+psi depending on how much time you spend pumping it.
> I don't pump up flats often (maybe a flat every 9-12 months on the
> road?), so don't mind if it's a bit slow to inflate with. It's only
> for emergencies.

I agree with Bleve - the only thing to look for in a roadie
pump is that the barrel should be narrow so you can get the
high pressure. This of course means more "strokes" to get
the tire pumped up but least it will be "hard" enough. And
since the barrel is narrower you should be able to get nice
high pumping rate when the tyre is flatter - especially if
you adopt the efficient stance often observed on the side
of bike paths everywhere.

DeF

--
e-mail: d.farrow@your finger.murdoch.edu.au
To reply, you'll have to remove your finger.

On Jun 1, 3:32 pm, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:
> On Jun 1, 3:14 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>
> > On Jun 1, 3:07 pm, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:

> > > the most common recommendation I've seen is don't go for a mini pump.

> > > Get a decent frame pump (Zefal HP are fairly inexpensive and very
> > > reliable) and save yourself the elbow grease when pumping up a flat.

> > Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
> > the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
> > survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
> > about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

> I carry a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX. It works. It fits in a jersey
> pocket. It fits in a backpack pocket.
> 90+psi depending on how much time you spend pumping it.
> I don't pump up flats often (maybe a flat every 9-12 months on the
> road?), so don't mind if it's a bit slow to inflate with. It's only
> for emergencies.

Thanks, a google for that pump turned up deanwoodsdirect which I'd
forgotten about, so it's a double bonus!

Bleve wrote:
> On Jun 1, 3:14 pm, [email protected] wrote:
>> On Jun 1, 3:07 pm, Duncan <[email protected]> wrote:
>>
>>> the most common recommendation I've seen is don't go for a mini pump.
>>> Get a decent frame pump (Zefal HP are fairly inexpensive and very
>>> reliable) and save yourself the elbow grease when pumping up a flat.

>> Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
>> the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
>> survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
>> about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

> I carry a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX. It works. It fits in a jersey
> pocket. It fits in a backpack pocket.
> 90+psi depending on how much time you spend pumping it.
> I don't pump up flats often (maybe a flat every 9-12 months on the
> road?), so don't mind if it's a bit slow to inflate with. It's only
> for emergencies.

I use the Topeak Master Blaster (http://tinyurl.com/3cptef - which is
the long format of the Pocket Rocket I think). It's rated to something
like 135 psi and is advertised as providing a max of 120. This means I
can usually get at least 90 psi into my tyres when required. In fact, I
find I get sufficient pressure using just this pump and don't have a
floor pump at home at all. I trust my pressures with this pump enough
for racing. It's frame mounted and comes with a handy clip but useless
rubber-band thingy that was dead in a few weeks. I have a backup plan
to keep it in place with an additional Velcro strap, but don't think I
need it. It comes off for crits but I obviously keep it with me for
road races. I therefore have space in my pockets for an additional tube
(I usually carry two on a long ride or race) or muesli bar or coffee
money..!

Varying the subject, I just changed my rear tube a few minutes ago here
in the lab. Time to get new tyres I think. I've probably changed the
rear tube about 8 times in the last ~6000 k's with not one front tyre
flat. The front tyre is older by about 4000 k's and has had a latex
tube in it for ~6000 k's. The rear latex tube blew only when I had a
catastrophic pinch cut when I hit an enormous pot-hole. Is it the latex
tube or just that rear tyres flat more often??

--
Bean

"I've got a bike
You can ride it if you like
It's got a basket
A bell that rings
And things to make it look good
I'd give it to you if I could
But I borrowed it" Pink Floyd

Remove "yourfinger" before replying

[email protected] wrote:
> On Jun 1, 3:32 pm, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

>>> Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
>>> the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
>>> survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
>>> about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

>> I carry a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX. It works. It fits in a jersey
>> pocket. It fits in a backpack pocket.
>> 90+psi depending on how much time you spend pumping it.
>> I don't pump up flats often (maybe a flat every 9-12 months on the
>> road?), so don't mind if it's a bit slow to inflate with. It's only
>> for emergencies.

> Thanks, a google for that pump turned up deanwoodsdirect which I'd
> forgotten about, so it's a double bonus!

BTW... as with most good pumps these days, the Topeaks have reversible
valve fittings for both Shraeder & Presta.

--
Bean
Remove "yourfinger" before replying

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've just discovered that while my crappy plastic $7 mini pump from
> Kmart is fine for my MTB and it's 65PSI tyres, it can't cut the
> mustard on my 85-95PSI road tyres. So I was wondering if anyone had
> any recommendations for a decent high pressure mini pump that I can
> leave in my backpack and take with me everywhere. The tubes are
> schrader valves, though most pumps seem to handle presta or schrader.
>
> Some of the Giyo range seem pretty good (the GP71 is supposedly good
> for 120PSI and nice and cheap too) and the Blackburn/Tiogas from
> Phantomcycles sound pretty good too. I'd like a pump that actually
> *is* good though, rather than one that just sounds good :)
>
> Any advice appreciated.

I bought a Cyclaire (the 120psi version) and am pretty stoked with it. Much
easier & faster to use than a mini pump but it is a wee bit bulkier &
heavier to carry. You can buy it with a custom seat bag for an extra $10.00
if you don't want to stick it in the back pack but I wouldn't recommend the
seat bag for offroad use. Mine was fine on the road but only lasted a couple
of offroad rides before the seams started to come apart. It lives in the
camelbak now.
When I got mine it had to ship from NZ but it got here pretty fast but I
just checked online and it looks like someone (with a really ugly unfinished
website) has taken over Aussie distribution and there doesn't appear to be a
way to order them online. You can get the rundown at the international site
tho' - http://www.cyclaire.com/bikepump.html

--
www.ozcableguy.com
www.oztechnologies.com

Bean Long wrote:
> Varying the subject, I just changed my rear tube a few minutes ago here
> in the lab. Time to get new tyres I think. I've probably changed the
> rear tube about 8 times in the last ~6000 k's with not one front tyre
> flat. The front tyre is older by about 4000 k's and has had a latex
> tube in it for ~6000 k's. The rear latex tube blew only when I had a
> catastrophic pinch cut when I hit an enormous pot-hole. Is it the latex
> tube or just that rear tyres flat more often??

I tend to get about 4 or 5 times as many rear tyre flats as fronts. I
suspect it's mostly to do with weight distribution, but maybe that old
"the front tyre flicks debris upright" suggestion has some truth to it
as well.

BTH

lemmiwinks wrote:
> I've just discovered that while my crappy plastic $7 mini pump from
> Kmart is fine for my MTB and it's 65PSI tyres, it can't cut the
> mustard on my 85-95PSI road tyres. So I was wondering if anyone had
> any recommendations for a decent high pressure mini pump that I can
> leave in my backpack and take with me everywhere. The tubes are
> schrader valves, though most pumps seem to handle presta or schrader.

The $17 single-action[1] crappy plastic K-mart mini-pump is better
than the $7 crappy double-action[2] K-mart mini-pump, but it still
runs out of puff at about 75psi. Either one is better than the $5
plastic frame pump - the connector hoses never seem to last long on
those, and I always seem to lose 10psi while I'm unscrewing them from
the valcve stem.

I'm carrying the $17 variety, it's good enough to get my tyre changed
and get me home to the floor pump.

BTH
[1] Pumps only on the "push" stroke
[2] Pumps on both the "push" and "pull" strokes, so quite a bit
quicker to ~40psi

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I've just discovered that while my crappy plastic $7 mini pump from
> Kmart is fine for my MTB and it's 65PSI tyres, it can't cut the
> mustard on my 85-95PSI road tyres. So I was wondering if anyone had
> any recommendations for a decent high pressure mini pump that I can
> leave in my backpack and take with me everywhere. The tubes are
> schrader valves, though most pumps seem to handle presta or schrader.
>
> Some of the Giyo range seem pretty good (the GP71 is supposedly good
> for 120PSI and nice and cheap too) and the Blackburn/Tiogas from
> Phantomcycles sound pretty good too. I'd like a pump that actually
> *is* good though, rather than one that just sounds good :)
>
> Any advice appreciated.

My Topeak Road Morph hasn't let me down despite lots of use on both road and
MTB tyres. I've been very pleased with it. I get a good 100psi in my road
tyres quite easily and the MTB tyres go up fine, if slightly slower than a
wide barrel pump. Presta and schraeder are both OK...

me

"Plodder" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:p[email protected]...

> <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>> I've just discovered that while my crappy plastic $7 mini pump from
>> Kmart is fine for my MTB and it's 65PSI tyres, it can't cut the
>> mustard on my 85-95PSI road tyres. So I was wondering if anyone had
>> any recommendations for a decent high pressure mini pump that I can
>> leave in my backpack and take with me everywhere.

> My Topeak Road Morph hasn't let me down despite lots of use on both road and MTB tyres. I've been
> very pleased with it. I get a good 100psi in my road tyres quite easily and the MTB tyres go up
> fine, if slightly slower than a wide barrel pump. Presta and schraeder are both OK...

I've got the Topeak Mini Morph. It's a mini pump (meaning it's
short and takes at least twice as long to pump up a tyre), but you
use it like a floor pump. I can pump up to road pressure, because
I can use my weight over the pump.

<[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> On Jun 1, 3:32 pm, Bleve <[email protected]> wrote:

>> > Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
>> > the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
>> > survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
>> > about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

>> I carry a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX. It works. It fits in a jersey
>> pocket. It fits in a backpack pocket.
>> 90+psi depending on how much time you spend pumping it.
>> I don't pump up flats often (maybe a flat every 9-12 months on the
>> road?), so don't mind if it's a bit slow to inflate with. It's only
>> for emergencies.

> Thanks, a google for that pump turned up deanwoodsdirect which I'd
> forgotten about, so it's a double bonus!

I'd love a shrinkable track pump. My mini pump (a tioga) takes well over
600 strokes to inflate my mtb tyres to 40psi, after which my arms get a tad
non functional in the cold (as they did tonight). I had dreams of ditching
the mini pump for a frame pump of getting a CO2 thingy maggiggy.

Speaking of pumping up tyres, why is it that 3 of the last 4 puntures I have
gotten have been from what looks suspiciously like fencing wire. It is
starting to annoy me. Can I get compo from the coucil for leaving **** all
over the road? My other puncture was from some glass either from a bottle
or the damn cagers not cleaning up the mess their cars drop on the road
after 'an accident' that they are legally obliged to do so. Grrrr.

On 2007-06-01, Paul Yates (aka Bruce)
> Speaking of pumping up tyres, why is it that 3 of the last 4 puntures I have
> gotten have been from what looks suspiciously like fencing wire. It is
> starting to annoy me. Can I get compo from the coucil for leaving **** all
> over the road? My other puncture was from some glass either from a bottle
> or the damn cagers not cleaning up the mess their cars drop on the road
> after 'an accident' that they are legally obliged to do so. Grrrr.

I get all mine in the last 5m of a 30km commute. I've taken to
picking the bike up as I walk to my front door. Should pave that dirt
section between my driveway and road.

--
TimC
I am very new to programming drivers so if I sound un-knowledgeable then it's

<[email protected]> wrote:

Duncan wrote:

>> Get a decent frame pump (Zefal HP are fairly inexpensive and very
>> reliable) and save yourself the elbow grease when pumping up a flat.

> Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
> the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
> survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
> about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

+1 for Duncan's recommemdation.

I guess it depends on the areas you go shopping, some suburbs may be really
dodgy for theft. My bike has had a Zefal HPX on the frame continuously for
the last 14 years. It has been left outside shops in country towns,
city(less frequently) and suburbs. I never take the pump off, and theft has
not been an issue. Mind you the bike is no bling machine and the pump is now
a bit scratched. I just don't think the Zefal name is a high profile target
amongst teenage bike thieves.

> This Topeak pump *sounds* good too:
> http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=838

That pump may claim 120psi, and who knows, you may get it. But I'd guess it
will take you a looonng time, maybe 15-20 minutes of continuous pumping. The
Zefal will be lots faster

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

PeteSig said:
<[email protected]> wrote:

Duncan wrote:

>> Get a decent frame pump (Zefal HP are fairly inexpensive and very
>> reliable) and save yourself the elbow grease when pumping up a flat.

> Really? Bummer. I just like the mini pump because they fit easily in
> the back pocket of my backpack (along with my lock, shifter and
> survival gear box). My bike is general transport and I'd be worried
> about a frame pump getting nicked while I was in getting the shopping.

+1 for Duncan's recommemdation.

I guess it depends on the areas you go shopping, some suburbs may be really
dodgy for theft. My bike has had a Zefal HPX on the frame continuously for
the last 14 years. It has been left outside shops in country towns,
city(less frequently) and suburbs. I never take the pump off, and theft has
not been an issue. Mind you the bike is no bling machine and the pump is now
a bit scratched. I just don't think the Zefal name is a high profile target
amongst teenage bike thieves.

> This Topeak pump *sounds* good too:
> http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=838

That pump may claim 120psi, and who knows, you may get it. But I'd guess it
will take you a looonng time, maybe 15-20 minutes of continuous pumping. The
Zefal will be lots faster

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

I have the Topeak Turbo Morph, and I can easily get to 120+ PSI using it like a track pump. It doesn't take too long either. I am not that strong either.
We have an elderly lady, regular rider, who uses one, successfully.

Mike G

"mikeg" wrote:

> I have the Topeak Turbo Morph, and I can easily get to 120+ PSI using
> it like a track pump. It doesn't take too long either. I am not that
> strong either.
> We have an elderly lady, regular rider, who uses one, successfully.

I am sure that you may well do this. The 'Morph' series pumps are apparently
quite effective with there stand pump conversion - not as quick and easy to
use as the Zefal though. The link I was referring to was for the tiny Topeak
Mini DX http://www.cellbikes.com.au/product.php?id=838

With a length of just 9" it is a good deal less barrel than the Topeak
Road/Mountain Morphs at 12.7", and one hell of a lot less than my Zefal HPX4
at 22.5" overall length. I'll be pumping at least 3 times as much air as the
tiny Mini DX with the Zefal. Doesn't fit in a backpack though :( but fits
happily along my top tube, and been there for the past 14 years.

--
Cheers
Peter

~~~ ~ _@
~~ ~ _- \,
~~ (*)/ (*)

Bleve said:
I carry a Topeak Pocket Rocket DX.

another vote for ToPeak here.

I carry a slightly diff one tho, the Topeak Mountain Morph Pump.
http://www.deanwoods.com.au/store/prod960.htm

NFI why it's 'mountain' as the only diff between it and the 'Road' morph is it has a lil' guage on it which is gimmickry IMHO.

lerv havin the hose/tube bit rather than clippin straight onto valve head (i had a nasty habit of damaging them with my_ninja_pumpin_action_technique :rolleyes: )

the fold out foot stand is cool for extra leverage too. It'll fit in ajersey pocket. 'just'.

I am just home after my 1600kms touring ride and had 2 punctures. The other
lady who rode with me had 3. My pump was **** LOL. It is a lot bigger than
hers, you had to use a converter so that you could pump up the Presta valves
and it took forever. My back tyre is recommended to hold 100psi but I could
only pump around 30 in it with my pump. Her pump on the other had was a
skinny little thing that just went straight on the Presta valve and although
you had to give it lots of pumps I could get my tyre up to around 70 which
was great until the next road house/4wd tourist. I am on the lookout for a
"skinny" one next time I get to the LBS (100kms away)
Kathy