Mini pump

Paul

Guest
I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so many choices
available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.

I'm quite happy with a hand one (as opposed to CO2), provided they work!

I'll need one that can pump up to 110psi on a 26 x 1" tyre.

Also, how do you get the correct pressure if the pump does not have a gauge?
Wiggle don't seem to stock separate gauges.

Can anyone make a recommendation?

TIA

[email protected] (Paul) writes:

> I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so
> many choices available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.
>
> I'm quite happy with a hand one (as opposed to CO2), provided they
> work!
>
> I'll need one that can pump up to 110psi on a 26 x 1" tyre.
>
> Also, how do you get the correct pressure if the pump does not have
> a gauge? Wiggle don't seem to stock separate gauges.

Guess? You can get an adaptor and use any car-type pressure gauge.
You can pick them up pretty cheap from car parts places and they don't
weigh much.

> Can anyone make a recommendation?

I've got a Crank Brothers Power Pump Ultra which seems very well made
but doesn't have a gauge. There's a slightly more expensive one that
does though.

Chris
--
Chris Eilbeck

Paul wrote:
> I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so
> many choices available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.
>
> I'm quite happy with a hand one (as opposed to CO2), provided they
> work!
>
> I'll need one that can pump up to 110psi on a 26 x 1" tyre.
>
> Also, how do you get the correct pressure if the pump does not have a
> gauge? Wiggle don't seem to stock separate gauges.

There are several mini pump with pressure gauges on the Wiggle site. Or
there are other retailers.

However, alternative to a gauge is either to guess, or to find a cheap gauge
somewhere which gives an approximate reading. Some years ago, Schwalbe tubes
came with a small plastic pressure gauge which does for field use.

- Nigel

--
Nigel Cliffe,
Webmaster at http://www.2mm.org.uk/

[email protected] (Paul) wrote:

| I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so many choices
| available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.
|
| I'm quite happy with a hand one (as opposed to CO2), provided they work!
|
| I'll need one that can pump up to 110psi on a 26 x 1" tyre.
|
| Also, how do you get the correct pressure if the pump does not have a gauge?
| Wiggle don't seem to stock separate gauges.
|
| Can anyone make a recommendation?

I like the Topeak Master Blaster Mini With Guage I got recently. I
haven't tried beyond 80psi but the resistance wasn't much at that
pressure. I do find a gauge essential having got used to one (it used to
"until you can't pump any more"). I may even have bought it in H*lf*rds
for less than the Wiggle price.

I did get into a mental pretzel worrying about it reading non-zero out
of the box, in fact there isn't a zero on the dial, until I remembered
it should read 14psi out of the box (at STP natch).

--
Patrick Herring, http://www.anweald.co.uk/ph

Patrick Herring wrote:
> haven't tried beyond 80psi but the resistance wasn't much at that
> pressure. I do find a gauge essential having got used to one (it used to
> "until you can't pump any more").

I've found all the mini pumps I've had to use in anger only reach about
90psi by the time you get to "until you can't pump any more" (hence the
anger?). I've not tried every mini pump though.

JimP

Paul wrote:
> I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so
> many choices available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.
>
> I'm quite happy with a hand one (as opposed to CO2), provided they
> work!
>
> I'll need one that can pump up to 110psi on a 26 x 1" tyre.

Topeak Pocket Rocket manages 110 psi + and fits in a small bag. Takes a
while to fully inflate a tyre though. A CO2 inflator /in addition/ saves
time & work.

Is pump in bag the only option for you? Not pump on bike?

> Also, how do you get the correct pressure if the pump does not have a
> gauge? Wiggle don't seem to stock separate gauges.
>
> Can anyone make a recommendation?

Zefal make some nice guages, if you can find one, but no need to take one
out with you. Just get to know what the correct/desired pressure feels
like when you dig fingers and thumbs into sidewall. You could/might have
a track pump at home with a guage.

~PB

IMHO most mini pumps can't really do high pressures (but OK for MTB
tyres).
I can thoroughly recommend the Cyclaire pump www.cyclaire.com slightly
on the heavy side but works really well, has a gauge and doesn't cost
too much nor knacker your back :)
(I have heard that the Topeak Road Morph is another, more conventional,
pump that works well at high pressure.)

I carry one in my panners but I regard it as an emergency item. If
some ******** nicks my full length pump on my bike or indeed it fails
I have a back up in case of a puncture - my only concern then is to
get enough pressure in the tyre to get home.

"squeaker" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> IMHO most mini pumps can't really do high pressures (but OK for MTB
> tyres).
> I can thoroughly recommend the Cyclaire pump www.cyclaire.com slightly
> on the heavy side but works really well, has a gauge and doesn't cost
> too much nor knacker your back :)
> (I have heard that the Topeak Road Morph is another, more conventional,
> pump that works well at high pressure.)

I use a cyclaire mini pump and am happy with it. I can achieve the pressures
I need without having blisters on my hands or a crick in the back. A bit
heavier (but not that much) reliable safe connection to presta valves ( it
does both of course) and reliable for my long distance cycle camping

Trevor A Panther
In South Yorkshire,
England, United Kingdom.
www.tapan.pwp.blueyonder.co.uk

squeaker wrote:

> IMHO most mini pumps can't really do high pressures

Slim ones like Topeak Pocket Rocket*, Axiom Sprint Air, Innovations Road
Air, Barbieri CarbOne** can get a 23mm road tyre up to good pressure. Of
course the best bigger and heavier pumps require less effort but not
everyone wants to carry one. After all, if you want the ultimate in
performance, it is possible to strap a full size track pump to a rack :)

I think the combination of one of these mini pumps and a CO2 inflator is
ideal when you don't mind the cost of the cartridges. I wouldn't expect
an all-in-one pump/CO2 to work as well as two of the best separate
products, by the way.

* Make end of handle more palm-friendly with epoxy putty.

~PB

"Paul" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so many

choices
> available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.
>
> I'm quite happy with a hand one (as opposed to CO2), provided they work!
>
> I'll need one that can pump up to 110psi on a 26 x 1" tyre.
>
> Also, how do you get the correct pressure if the pump does not have a

gauge?
> Wiggle don't seem to stock separate gauges.
>
> Can anyone make a recommendation?

Personal choice
A cheap one!
The lightest/smallest.
It is to be carried in case of emergency, therefore it may never get used.
Pressure guage? After something where I need to reflate the tyre 'hard' is
good enough. I usually find that the mini pump runs out of pressure at
really hard, but it is good enough to ride on.

YMMV

Dave

On Fri, 24 Mar 2006 20:38:07 +0000, Paul wrote:

> I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so many
> choices available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.

I've got a Blackburn Airstick, which I like. It stays on my bottle cage,
on a neat little clip. Seems to have stood up to wear and tear very well.
The handle flips out to form a T-bar, and there is a dustcap over the air
hole, which is really needed for a pump kept on the frame. I think the
Crank Brothers pumps look lovely, and would consider one of them too on a
next purchase.

Paul wrote:

> I want to get a mini pump to take in my saddlebag, but there are so
> many choices available at wiggle, I've no idea which one to pick.
>
> I'm quite happy with a hand one (as opposed to CO2), provided they
> work!
>
> I'll need one that can pump up to 110psi on a 26 x 1" tyre.

Quicker Pro <www.quickex.com>. The only mini pump I am aware of that at
least gives me a remote chance to get to 7 bar (100psi) [1] and beyond.
My recommendation is based on tests at home only as the P.F. did not
visit me since I bought the pump last autumn. Still hard work, but
possible. I put my Topeak Harpoon mini pump on the MTB where it serves
me nicely for the low pressure tyres mounted on this bike (nice pump
head, convenient handle). But on the road bike I was unable to pump up
harder than 4.5 bar (70 psi) with the Topeak though it is advertised
for 12 bar (160 psi). Mike Tyson might be able to reach that pressure.
If ever possible buy the pump at your LBS and try it on your bike.

> Also, how do you get the correct pressure if the pump does not have a
> gauge?

The Quicker has one. I find it of limited use though as it is much less
readable then the one on the floor pump [2]. With a little experience a
thumb will be of sufficient precision for a field repair.

[1] all figures are approximate. Exact scaling factor is 14.5.
[2] SKS, strongly preferred for use at home. Except for testing I would
never use a mini pump or even a frame pump when a decent floor pump
is at hand.

Günther

Fri, 24 Mar 2006 22:09:58 +0000, Jim Price <[email protected]> skrev:

> I've found all the mini pumps I've had to use in anger only reach about
> 90psi by the time you get to "until you can't pump any more" (hence the
> anger?). I've not tried every mini pump though.
>
> JimP

I haven't tried them all either. Actually I stopped trying mini pumps,
after I bought the Crank Brothers manometer pump, which some people claim
is the best.

I can get it up to 80 psi with very hard and long lasting work.

So I have turned back to the frame size pump. With that I don't know the
pressure - but I know that I can get it above 100 psi. I have found a
Barbieri that is operated the same way as a floor pump, with two hands on
the handle pushing down, so you can you reach high pressure without
getting cramps in your arms.
So I can recommend you give up mini pumps.

Ivar

--

Sendt med Operas banebrydende nyhedsgruppe-
og e-postklient: http://www.opera.com/m2/

Ivar Hesselager wrote:

> So I can recommend you give up mini pumps.

I think I sort of have already, but I do have to admit to having a
cyclaire pump on its way to me at the moment as a last gasp attempt to
find something which will fit in a bar bag and get to a decent pressure.

JimP

--
Let's think the unthinkable, let's do the undoable, let's prepare to
grapple with the ineffable itself, and see if we may not eff it after