Mountain Bikes · Public discussion

Mini review: Aztec brake rotors

Started by SuperSlinky · · Last activity · 1 post · 653 views

Thread details

What we know about this thread

Original section
Mountain Bikes
Published
4 October 2004
Last activity
4 October 2004
Original author
SuperSlinky
Posts
1
Discussion status
Public discussion
Total views
653
Views / 30 days
0

The navigation and discussion metadata provide context. Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Showing posts 1–1 of 1
Posts remain in their original chronological order.

Text size
  1. Like others who have shopped for replacement rotors, I too have been
    appalled at the $40 price tag for Avid replacement rotors. Hayes rotors
    are much more realistic at ~$25, but the Aztec rotors at $15 looked like
    they were worth a try. I have directly compared Avid, Hayes and now
    Aztec rotors. Hayes and Avid rotors appear very similar. The width of
    the braking surface is identical, so other differences are just a matter
    of cosmetics and design choices that probably don't have much
    performance effect. Like the Hayes and Avid rotors, the Aztec rotors are
    stainless steel and 2mm thick. Some have said that the Aztec rotors are
    thicker than others, but this was not true according to my dial
    calipers. Okay, they were infinitesimally thicker, but the spec was 2mm
    for all of these rotors and that is more or less exactly what they
    measure. I didn't weigh any Avid rotors, but the two Aztec rotors
    weighed 226 and 230 grams while a new Hayes rotor weighed 212 grams. I
    attribute the difference to the Aztec having a very slightly wider
    braking surface, possibly not a bad thing. The finish and general
    cosmetics of the Aztec rotors are good, but I think the name brand
    rotors have an edge there. The Aztec rotors came with mounting bolts
    with that blue thread lock gunk on them and a torx wrench. Curiously,
    the Aztec bolts had a regular allen head, so I assume the torx wrench
    was for removing your old bolts. I don't think Hayes or Avid rotors come
    with mounting bolts, but I could be wrong.

    So what is the drawback? I found one: both of the Aztec rotors are ever
    so slightly warped. It is so small that it is barely annoying, but a
    little extra set-up time was needed to eliminate rub. But the amount of
    warp is so small that it really isn't a performance issue and I got a
    lever throw that is as good as I had with Avid rotors. The warping may
    be fixable with judiciously trying to bend them back in shape. I did
    this once with one of my Avid rotors and it worked that time. But in
    reality, the warp on the Aztecs isn't enough for me to worry about. So I
    think these are a good alternative if you are on a budget, but I think
    you do get a little extra quality with the brand rotors. Then the
    question becomes why buy an Avid rotor when you can buy a Hayes for 40%
    less?

Active in the last 60 minutes

Active in this thread

0 users · 0 guests ·0 bots ·0 total

No signed-in users are active right now.

No known search crawlers active right now.