Minimal Gear for solo riding.....?

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Doesnotcompute, Aug 19, 2003.

  1. Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I must
    take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.

    So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?

    Mine goes something like this:

    Small rolled waterproof jacket Mini pump 1 Tube 1 Puncture kit Alien multi tool D lock and flexi
    cable if needed wallet and change mobile phone platypus first aid stuff pen compass map spare pair
    of socks empty carrier bag food Digicam

    Change of clothers if applicable.

    that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

    --
    Dnc

    Tags:

  2. Tony Raven

    Tony Raven Guest

    In news:[email protected], Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> typed:

    > spare pair of socks

    ???

    Never once in all my cycling have I considered stopping to change socks.

    Tony

    --
    "If you tell the truth you don't have to remember anything." Mark Twain

  3. Alex Graham

    Alex Graham Guest

    Doesnotcompute wrote:
    > Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
    > must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
    >
    > So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?
    >
    > Mine goes something like this:
    >
    > Small rolled waterproof jacket Mini pump 1 Tube 1 Puncture kit Alien multi tool D lock and flexi
    > cable if needed wallet and change mobile phone platypus first aid stuff pen compass map spare pair
    > of socks empty carrier bag food Digicam
    >
    > Change of clothers if applicable.
    >
    > that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

    Nah - 1 or 2 tubes, mobile, money in a seatpack. Bottles in the cages, pump on frame and jersey
    pockets full of food!

    --

    -Alex

    ----------------------------------
    [email protected]

    http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
    ----------------------------------

  4. MSeries

    MSeries New Member

    Joined:
    Jul 29, 2003
    Showerproof jacket, armwarmers, money & cards, mobile phone, map, food, allen keys, spare tube, puncture repair kit, chain splitter, tyre levers, spoke key

  5. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Doesnotcompute wrote:
    > Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
    > must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
    >
    > So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?
    >
    > Mine goes something like this:

    Here are my suggestions for what you could leave out or change:

    > Small rolled waterproof jacket

    Won't need that most days

    > Mini pump 1 Tube 1 Puncture kit Alien multi tool Compass

    Mini compass

    > D lock and flexi cable if needed

    D lock is a big old weight to carry. A small cable lock will do for day rides when you're not
    expecting to leave bike long or in any risky places, and D lock could possibly be left at
    destination for commuting, etc.

    Some small extra emergency items I carry:

    - Park Tyre Boot - adhesive patch to fix a ripped tyre (not tube).
    - Presta to Schaeder valve adaptor (with o-ring) so garage compressor can be used if
    loose/break/forget pump.
    - Extra long limit screw for rear derailleur in case cable fails.

    /snip
    > that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

    How about putting more of the weight on the bike? Wedge bag? Saddle bag? Rack? Seatpost rack? D lock
    on frame not in bag?

    ~PB

  6. Wainwright

    Wainwright Guest

    Sort out the absolute minimum you need, place it on the floor in front of you - then take
    half of it !
    --
    Drop Dead if you want to reply personally Alex Graham wrote in message
    <[email protected]>...
    >Doesnotcompute wrote:
    >> Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
    >> must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
    >>
    >> So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?

  7. Ian

    Ian Guest

  8. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Doesnotcompute wrote:
    > Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
    > must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
    >
    > So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?
    >
    > Mine goes something like this:
    [snip longish list]

    What is your definition of "absolute essentials"? Mine is the minimum I will definitely need, and it
    looks like this:

    Me (and clothes I'm wearing) Bike

    I usually take a load more than that, but that is the list of "absolute essentials".

    Pete.
    http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

  9. Pete Biggs wrote:

    > Here are my suggestions for what you could leave out or change:

    >>Small rolled waterproof jacket
    >
    > Won't need that most days

    It's tiny and weightless - sno problem

    >>D lock and flexi cable if needed
    >

    > D lock is a big old weight to carry. A small cable lock will do for day rides when you're not
    > expecting to leave bike long or in any risky places, and D lock could possibly be left at
    > destination for commuting, etc.

    True, however I'd rather take nothing than a crap lock - it's worth too much to not use a decent
    lock. Also,with a Y shape frame, there's nowhere really safe enough for a cable only.

    > Some small extra emergency items I carry:
    >
    > - Park Tyre Boot - adhesive patch to fix a ripped tyre (not tube).
    > - Presta to Schaeder valve adaptor (with o-ring) so garage compressor can be used if
    > loose/break/forget pump.
    > - Extra long limit screw for rear derailleur in case cable fails.

    All noted - ta.

    > How about putting more of the weight on the bike? Wedge bag? Saddle bag?

    Got a small saddle bag holding a tube, patch kit and Alien.

    > Rack? Seatpost rack? D lock on frame not in bag?

    Again, with a Y shape frame, this all becomes slightly more difficult :/

    Thanks for your input.

    --
    Dnc

  10. Toby Barrett

    Toby Barrett Guest

    Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote in news:[email protected] 30778.news.uni-berlin.de:

    > platypus

    In all my experience of cycling I've never seen the need for a small, furry aquatic animal from
    Australia in my pannier.

    All the other stuff seems reasonable if it's a long ride.

    Toby

    --
    Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

  11. Drink, Phone, Pump full size Tubes 1 Patch Kit First aid kit Alien Multi Tool Phone Energy Bars 3
    Jacket (Not all) the time. Toilet Paper a must.

  12. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Doesnotcompute wrote:

    >>> Small rolled waterproof jacket
    >>
    >> Won't need that most days
    >
    > It's tiny and weightless - sno problem

    Nothing is weightless. I bet it weighs 150 to 250 grams. Every gram counts in the religion of the
    Weight Weenie :) Seriously, attention to detail can end up making a difference if there are
    enough details.

    >> D lock is a big old weight to carry. A small cable lock will do for day rides when you're not
    >> expecting to leave bike long or in any risky places, and D lock could possibly be left at
    >> destination for commuting, etc.
    >
    > True, however I'd rather take nothing than a crap lock - it's worth too much to not use a
    > decent lock.

    A good bike is spoiled by carrying a heavy lock for recreational cycling. My best bike is so
    expensive that I couldn't afford to replace it if I lost it -- can't even afford to insure it -- yet
    I just carry a small flimsy crappy cable lock on my day rides, and I bet many other people here also
    do the same thing (or even take no lock at all). That's the risk we take. I reckon the risk is very
    small when leaving bike at a garage when buying a drink, for example - although I can understand
    wanting more security in certain other situations.

    Admittedly, it makes more difference on a lightweight roadbike than on a mountain bike.

    > Also,with a Y shape frame, there's nowhere really safe enough for a cable only.

    There are always ways securing any bike with a cable lock - even if not *completely* safe.

    Anti-theft wheel skewers help - usually some on eBay. I'm pleased with the TranzX ones I got. Note.
    Some take ordinary allen keys, some take a special five-sided key, and I think some posh ones
    (Kryptonite?) use proper unique keys.

    ~PB

  13. Ben

    Ben Guest

    On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:24:25 +0100, Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
    >must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
    >
    >So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?
    >
    >Mine goes something like this:
    >
    >Small rolled waterproof jacket

    Only if the weather looks like it'll change. I have one that straps round my waist.

    >Mini pump

    Yes.

    >1 Tube

    Yes.

    >1 Puncture kit

    I carry a couple of self adhesive patches in my seat pack. Get me home measure.

    >Alien multi tool

    Na, just 5mm and 6mm keys. If anything on my bike fails that uses another size, I won't be riding
    home anyway.

    >D lock and flexi cable if needed

    Na, if I'm out for a ride, I'm out for a ride not to stop.

    >wallet and change

    Yes. Make sure it has id and contact details in it as well in case you get knocked unconscious in an
    accident as happened to my Dad a couple of years back.

    >mobile phone

    Essential.

    >platypus

    heh :)

    >first aid stuff

    Na, that's what a mobile and ambulances are for if it's serious. If it's not serious it can wait
    till you get home.

    >pen

    You've got a mobile, you can make notes in sms messages.

    >compass map

    Na, road signs and a look at the map before you go out.

    >spare pair of socks

    Nope, unless I'm going offroading somewhere in which case there is a complete change of clothes
    in the car.

    >empty carrier bag

    As above.

    >food

    Short rides: couple of cereal bars and lots of drink (2 litres in the Camelbak)

    >Digicam

    Na, to expensive to risk.
    --
    "We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
    'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

  14. Arthur Clune

    Arthur Clune Guest

    Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:

    : Small rolled waterproof jacket

    I use a Gore Winderstopper gilet in summer - smaller and lighter.

    For winter I have a gore paclite jacket. Very, very expensive but goes in a jersey pocket.

    : Mini pump

    One bike

    : 1 Tube

    In pocket

    : 1 Puncture kit Alien multi tool

    I put

    1 x tyre boot 1 x set of park glue less patches 1 x spare tube (so that's two in total) 1 x cool
    tool 1 x £1

    in a (very) small underseat bag

    : D lock and flexi cable if needed

    No. If it's not where I can see it, I don't leave it

    : wallet and change

    If I think I'm having a cafe stop, I put a tenner in a old film box (35 mm file boxes are
    ideal here)

    : mobile phone

    No. I want peace and quiet when riding

    : platypus

    Water bottles on bike, but this is on road

    : first aid stuff

    No, though if I'm off road I might

    : pen compass map

    No. Sometimes I'll put a map or some pages from an atlas in a back pocket if I'm going somewhere
    new. Again, this is on-road though

    : spare pair of socks

    !!!!!!!

    Why!

    : empty carrier bag

    Each to their own....

    : food

    Couple of tracker bars and/or a banana does me.

    : Digicam

    Very much no

    : Change of clothers if applicable.

    No.

    : that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

    I'm not surprised!

    Arthur

  15. Tim Downie

    Tim Downie Guest

    Pete Biggs wrote:

    >>> Won't need that most days
    >>
    >> It's tiny and weightless - sno problem
    >
    > Nothing is weightless. I bet it weighs 150 to 250 grams.

    Not necessarily. I've got a jacket that weighs 90gm (including its little carrying bag). (see
    http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_feathersmock.htm)

    That's not their lightest one BTW, you can go down to 65gm
    (http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_aero.htm)

    HTH any weight shedding fanatics.

    Tim
    --
    Time for a new sig.

  16. Pete Biggs

    Pete Biggs Guest

    Tim Downie wrote:

    >>> It's tiny and weightless - sno problem
    >>
    >> Nothing is weightless. I bet it weighs 150 to 250 grams.
    >
    > Not necessarily. I've got a jacket that weighs 90gm (including its little carrying bag). (see
    > http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_feathersmock.htm)
    >
    > That's not their lightest one BTW, you can go down to 65gm
    > (http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_aero.htm)

    Blimey, my Coolmax string vest weighs more than that! I didn't realise a waterproof jacket could be
    that light. Very good. My Lusso Aquawhatsit weighs about 200g - but it was cheap.

    ~PB

  17. In article <[email protected]>, pLime {remove_fruit}@biggs.tc says...

    > >> Nothing is weightless. I bet it weighs 150 to 250 grams.

    Probably nearer 400g

    > > Not necessarily. I've got a jacket that weighs 90gm (including its little carrying bag). (see
    > > http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_feathersmock.htm)
    > >
    > > That's not their lightest one BTW, you can go down to 65gm
    > > (http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_aero.htm)
    >
    > Blimey, my Coolmax string vest weighs more than that! I didn't realise a waterproof jacket could
    > be that light. Very good. My Lusso Aquawhatsit weighs about 200g - but it was cheap.

    As far as I know he Montane jackets aren't waterproof, just "weather resistant" ie windproof and
    light showerproof---still bloody light though. Montane's lightest waterproof is around 250g. My
    RAIDlite, which claims to be the lightest waterproof in the world is 180g.

    Colin

  18. Peter Clinch

    Peter Clinch Guest

    Tim Downie wrote:

    > Not necessarily. I've got a jacket that weighs 90gm (including its little carrying bag). (see
    > http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_feathersmock.htm)
    >
    > That's not their lightest one BTW, you can go down to 65gm
    > (http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_aero.htm)

    I've got the Featherlite too, didn't know about the Aero so thanks for the tip. Pity they don't do
    them in LOUD colourways for the bike :-(

    Only thing I don't really like about it is spare material on the arms flaps a helluva lot (and
    noisily too) in a strong wind.

  19. Doesnotcompute wrote:
    > Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
    > must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
    >
    > So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?

    Snip my own list.

    It seems from the mixed replies that we all vary dramatically. Let me clarify a little further:

    1) I'm talking about a full day of pleasure riding,
    2) most of my pleasure riding is off road in areas I may not know well
    3) I like having dry socks available if for some reason I'm going to be delayed, or indoors,
    or whatever.
    4) I'm riding a full sus MTB, not a road bike
    5) umm not sure but there's bound to be a five.

    --
    Dnc