Minimal Gear for solo riding.....?

Doesnotcompute

Guest
Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I must
take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.

So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?

Mine goes something like this:

Small rolled waterproof jacket Mini pump 1 Tube 1 Puncture kit Alien multi tool D lock and flexi
cable if needed wallet and change mobile phone platypus first aid stuff pen compass map spare pair
of socks empty carrier bag food Digicam

Change of clothers if applicable.

that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

--
Dnc

Doesnotcompute wrote:
> Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
> must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
>
> So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?
>
> Mine goes something like this:
>
> Small rolled waterproof jacket Mini pump 1 Tube 1 Puncture kit Alien multi tool D lock and flexi
> cable if needed wallet and change mobile phone platypus first aid stuff pen compass map spare pair
> of socks empty carrier bag food Digicam
>
> Change of clothers if applicable.
>
> that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

Nah - 1 or 2 tubes, mobile, money in a seatpack. Bottles in the cages, pump on frame and jersey
pockets full of food!

--

-Alex

----------------------------------
[email protected]

http://alexpg.ath.cx:3353/cycling.php http://www.westerleycycling.org.uk
----------------------------------

Showerproof jacket, armwarmers, money & cards, mobile phone, map, food, allen keys, spare tube, puncture repair kit, chain splitter, tyre levers, spoke key

Doesnotcompute wrote:
> Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
> must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
>
> So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?
>
> Mine goes something like this:

Here are my suggestions for what you could leave out or change:

> Small rolled waterproof jacket

Won't need that most days

> Mini pump 1 Tube 1 Puncture kit Alien multi tool Compass

Mini compass

> D lock and flexi cable if needed

D lock is a big old weight to carry. A small cable lock will do for day rides when you're not
expecting to leave bike long or in any risky places, and D lock could possibly be left at
destination for commuting, etc.

Some small extra emergency items I carry:

- Park Tyre Boot - adhesive patch to fix a ripped tyre (not tube).
- Presta to Schaeder valve adaptor (with o-ring) so garage compressor can be used if
loose/break/forget pump.
- Extra long limit screw for rear derailleur in case cable fails.

/snip
> that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

How about putting more of the weight on the bike? Wedge bag? Saddle bag? Rack? Seatpost rack? D lock
on frame not in bag?

~PB

Sort out the absolute minimum you need, place it on the floor in front of you - then take
half of it !
--
<[email protected]>...

Doesnotcompute wrote:
> Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
> must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
>
> So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?
>
> Mine goes something like this:
[snip longish list]

What is your definition of "absolute essentials"? Mine is the minimum I will definitely need, and it
looks like this:

Me (and clothes I'm wearing) Bike

I usually take a load more than that, but that is the list of "absolute essentials".

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Pete Biggs wrote:

> Here are my suggestions for what you could leave out or change:

>>Small rolled waterproof jacket
>
> Won't need that most days

It's tiny and weightless - sno problem

>>D lock and flexi cable if needed
>

> D lock is a big old weight to carry. A small cable lock will do for day rides when you're not
> expecting to leave bike long or in any risky places, and D lock could possibly be left at
> destination for commuting, etc.

True, however I'd rather take nothing than a **** lock - it's worth too much to not use a decent
lock. Also,with a Y shape frame, there's nowhere really safe enough for a cable only.

> Some small extra emergency items I carry:
>
> - Park Tyre Boot - adhesive patch to fix a ripped tyre (not tube).
> - Presta to Schaeder valve adaptor (with o-ring) so garage compressor can be used if
> loose/break/forget pump.
> - Extra long limit screw for rear derailleur in case cable fails.

All noted - ta.

> How about putting more of the weight on the bike? Wedge bag? Saddle bag?

Got a small saddle bag holding a tube, patch kit and Alien.

> Rack? Seatpost rack? D lock on frame not in bag?

Again, with a Y shape frame, this all becomes slightly more difficult :/

Thanks for your input.

--
Dnc

Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote in news:bhu82r$1r3$19@ID- 30778.news.uni-berlin.de:

> platypus

In all my experience of cycling I've never seen the need for a small, furry aquatic animal from
Australia in my pannier.

All the other stuff seems reasonable if it's a long ride.

Toby

--
Remove spamtrap to reply by mail

Drink, Phone, Pump full size Tubes 1 Patch Kit First aid kit Alien Multi Tool Phone Energy Bars 3
Jacket (Not all) the time. Toilet Paper a must.

Doesnotcompute wrote:

>>> Small rolled waterproof jacket
>>
>> Won't need that most days
>
> It's tiny and weightless - sno problem

Nothing is weightless. I bet it weighs 150 to 250 grams. Every gram counts in the religion of the
Weight Weenie :) Seriously, attention to detail can end up making a difference if there are
enough details.

>> D lock is a big old weight to carry. A small cable lock will do for day rides when you're not
>> expecting to leave bike long or in any risky places, and D lock could possibly be left at
>> destination for commuting, etc.
>
> True, however I'd rather take nothing than a **** lock - it's worth too much to not use a
> decent lock.

A good bike is spoiled by carrying a heavy lock for recreational cycling. My best bike is so
expensive that I couldn't afford to replace it if I lost it -- can't even afford to insure it -- yet
I just carry a small flimsy crappy cable lock on my day rides, and I bet many other people here also
do the same thing (or even take no lock at all). That's the risk we take. I reckon the risk is very
small when leaving bike at a garage when buying a drink, for example - although I can understand
wanting more security in certain other situations.

Admittedly, it makes more difference on a lightweight roadbike than on a mountain bike.

> Also,with a Y shape frame, there's nowhere really safe enough for a cable only.

There are always ways securing any bike with a cable lock - even if not *completely* safe.

Anti-theft wheel skewers help - usually some on eBay. I'm pleased with the TranzX ones I got. Note.
Some take ordinary allen keys, some take a special five-sided key, and I think some posh ones
(Kryptonite?) use proper unique keys.

~PB

On Tue, 19 Aug 2003 23:24:25 +0100, Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:

>Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
>must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
>
>So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?
>
>Mine goes something like this:
>
>Small rolled waterproof jacket

Only if the weather looks like it'll change. I have one that straps round my waist.

>Mini pump

Yes.

>1 Tube

Yes.

>1 Puncture kit

I carry a couple of self adhesive patches in my seat pack. Get me home measure.

>Alien multi tool

Na, just 5mm and 6mm keys. If anything on my bike fails that uses another size, I won't be riding
home anyway.

>D lock and flexi cable if needed

Na, if I'm out for a ride, I'm out for a ride not to stop.

>wallet and change

Yes. Make sure it has id and contact details in it as well in case you get knocked unconscious in an
accident as happened to my Dad a couple of years back.

>mobile phone

Essential.

>platypus

heh :)

>first aid stuff

Na, that's what a mobile and ambulances are for if it's serious. If it's not serious it can wait
till you get home.

>pen

You've got a mobile, you can make notes in sms messages.

>compass map

Na, road signs and a look at the map before you go out.

>spare pair of socks

Nope, unless I'm going offroading somewhere in which case there is a complete change of clothes
in the car.

>empty carrier bag

As above.

>food

Short rides: couple of cereal bars and lots of drink (2 litres in the Camelbak)

>Digicam

Na, to expensive to risk.
--
"We take these risks, not to escape from life, but to prevent life escaping from us." ***** replace
'spam' with 'ben' to reply *****

Doesnotcompute <[email protected]> wrote:

: Small rolled waterproof jacket

I use a Gore Winderstopper gilet in summer - smaller and lighter.

For winter I have a gore paclite jacket. Very, very expensive but goes in a jersey pocket.

: Mini pump

One bike

: 1 Tube

In pocket

: 1 Puncture kit Alien multi tool

I put

1 x tyre boot 1 x set of park glue less patches 1 x spare tube (so that's two in total) 1 x cool
tool 1 x £1

in a (very) small underseat bag

: D lock and flexi cable if needed

No. If it's not where I can see it, I don't leave it

: wallet and change

If I think I'm having a cafe stop, I put a tenner in a old film box (35 mm file boxes are
ideal here)

: mobile phone

No. I want peace and quiet when riding

: platypus

Water bottles on bike, but this is on road

: first aid stuff

No, though if I'm off road I might

: pen compass map

No. Sometimes I'll put a map or some pages from an atlas in a back pocket if I'm going somewhere
new. Again, this is on-road though

: spare pair of socks

!!!!!!!

Why!

: empty carrier bag

Each to their own....

: food

Couple of tracker bars and/or a banana does me.

: Digicam

Very much no

: Change of clothers if applicable.

No.

: that's all I can think of and already my shoulders are concerned!

I'm not surprised!

Arthur

Pete Biggs wrote:

>>> Won't need that most days
>>
>> It's tiny and weightless - sno problem
>
> Nothing is weightless. I bet it weighs 150 to 250 grams.

Not necessarily. I've got a jacket that weighs 90gm (including its little carrying bag). (see
http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_feathersmock.htm)

That's not their lightest one BTW, you can go down to 65gm
(http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_aero.htm)

HTH any weight shedding fanatics.

Tim
--
Time for a new sig.

Tim Downie wrote:

>>> It's tiny and weightless - sno problem
>>
>> Nothing is weightless. I bet it weighs 150 to 250 grams.
>
> Not necessarily. I've got a jacket that weighs 90gm (including its little carrying bag). (see
> http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_feathersmock.htm)
>
> That's not their lightest one BTW, you can go down to 65gm
> (http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_aero.htm)

Blimey, my Coolmax string vest weighs more than that! I didn't realise a waterproof jacket could be
that light. Very good. My Lusso Aquawhatsit weighs about 200g - but it was cheap.

~PB

In article <[email protected]>, pLime {remove_fruit}@biggs.tc says...

> >> Nothing is weightless. I bet it weighs 150 to 250 grams.

Probably nearer 400g

> > Not necessarily. I've got a jacket that weighs 90gm (including its little carrying bag). (see
> > http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_feathersmock.htm)
> >
> > That's not their lightest one BTW, you can go down to 65gm
> > (http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_aero.htm)
>
> Blimey, my Coolmax string vest weighs more than that! I didn't realise a waterproof jacket could
> be that light. Very good. My Lusso Aquawhatsit weighs about 200g - but it was cheap.

As far as I know he Montane jackets aren't waterproof, just "weather resistant" ie windproof and
light showerproof---still bloody light though. Montane's lightest waterproof is around 250g. My
RAIDlite, which claims to be the lightest waterproof in the world is 180g.

Colin

Tim Downie wrote:

> Not necessarily. I've got a jacket that weighs 90gm (including its little carrying bag). (see
> http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_feathersmock.htm)
>
> That's not their lightest one BTW, you can go down to 65gm
> (http://www.montane.co.uk/products_fastlite_aero.htm)

I've got the Featherlite too, didn't know about the Aero so thanks for the tip. Pity they don't do
them in LOUD colourways for the bike :-(

Only thing I don't really like about it is spare material on the arms flaps a helluva lot (and
noisily too) in a strong wind.

Doesnotcompute wrote:
> Why is it whenever I pack a bag for a days riding, I seem to end up with a full bag? I reckon I
> must take loads of stuff I needn't, but can't think what.
>
> So what are your absolute essentials for a days solo ride?

Snip my own list.

It seems from the mixed replies that we all vary dramatically. Let me clarify a little further:

1) I'm talking about a full day of pleasure riding,
2) most of my pleasure riding is off road in areas I may not know well
3) I like having dry socks available if for some reason I'm going to be delayed, or indoors,
or whatever.
4) I'm riding a full sus MTB, not a road bike
5) umm not sure but there's bound to be a five.

--
Dnc