'minimalist' cycling short?

expatCanuck2

Jul 1, 2007
Hi there -

Anyone care to recommend a cost-effective, basic men's cycling short for (not to put too fine a point on it) a lean, tight-assed cyclist which is comfortable off the bike as well as on it?

By this, I mean a short having a smallish / narrow pad that doesn't make you feel like you're being goosed when you stand up.

By way of comparison - I've got a rather old basic Garneau short with a lean chamois that I like, and a recent Zoic short whose pad I find too wide.

Most of my rides are under an hour, so I certainly don't need anything century-worthy.

All suggestions welcome.

Thanks kindly,

- Richard

Bad idea to wear cycling shorts after a ride. I'd bring a change of clothes if possible. If you just don't intend on having the lycra look while on the bike, buy a pair of mountain bike shorts. Or better yet, wear a pair of these liner shorts in the link below. I use these during the winter so I can choose which pants to wear. They're also thin and comfortable.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/pearl-izumi-mens-liner-short

Bad idea to wear cycling shorts after a ride. I'd bring a change of clothes if possible. If you just don't intend on having the lycra look while on the bike, buy a pair of mountain bike shorts. Or better yet, wear a pair of these liner shorts in the link below. I use these during the winter so I can choose which pants to wear. They're also thin and comfortable.

https://www.biketiresdirect.com/product/pearl-izumi-mens-liner-short
Thanks for the link. Could be just the ticket.

Entirely agree that it's a bad idea to wear cycling shorts after a ride. But on relaxed day outings, sometimes we'll stop for lunch (or an early dinner) mid-ride, and it's nice not to have to change (tho' I usually have light 'civilian' clothes in my pannier if the need arises).

I've worn the same shorts for a week straight w/o taking them off at all. Whats the problem?

I've worn the same shorts for a week straight w/o taking them off at all. Whats the problem?

Depends on the persons tolerance I guess. Whenever i've kept shorts on for an extended time after a ride, I've developed a nasty saddle sore/rash. Keeping sweat and germs close to the skin after a ride isn't a good thing.