Minimed vs Cozmo

Discussion in 'Health and medical' started by Geoffreyh, Mar 26, 2004.

  1. Geoffreyh

    Geoffreyh Guest

    I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times, but I've
    searched the archives as best I could, as well as searching
    the web in general, and I haven't found much help.

    My wife is type 1, and she is planning on going onto a
    pump (mostly to reduce the number and severity of hypos
    she's had)

    We've looked at the options availiable, and it looks like
    the Minimed 512 and Cozmo are the best options for us. We've
    met with the sales reps, and both pumps look like they'd
    suit us fine.

    What I've seen in my seacching so far is a lot of complaints
    about the minimed, and almost nothing about the Cozmo (lots
    of 'It looks great, I'm getting mine soon' but not much data
    after that).

    From my perspective, Minimed has a much larger number of
    pumps out there, so they are likely to have more problems
    (raw numbers), and of course the dissatisfied complain the
    loudest, so I don't really have a good handle on how happy
    their average user is.

    I did notice that they seem to nickle-and-dime you for
    everything. The software costs extra, upgrades cost
    extra, little things like that, which seems pretty
    pathetic considering how much they make off your typical
    pump user. Deltec may do this too, but it isn't as
    evident to me so far.

    I have also seen lots of messages about people being mad
    that the pump isn't waterproof. I asked the rep about this,
    and she said 'while they are waterprrof when they leave the
    factory, we don't want the liability risk of having failures
    on a pump that has been in use for a year and may or may not
    continue to be waterproof' To me that is just spin, designed
    to placate the buyer, but my wife doesn't lead that active
    of a lifestyle that this is a limiting factor.

    I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its memory
    even if the battery is left out, and think it is idiotic
    that the Minimed doesn't offer this feature.

    Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?

    I'm not interested in knowing how Company X won't give you
    stuff you 'deserve' for free, or how they 'ripped you off'.
    I am interested in shortcomings you've found in the pump or
    sets, unexpected issues that you've found in using the pump,
    and anything positive you have to say about the pump you are
    currently using.

    Thanks for any help you can provie, Geoff

    Tags:

  2. H&Cc

    H&Cc Guest

    Have you checked out the Animas Pumps? They are waterproof.
    My 13 year old has been on an Animas pump for just over a
    year now & we have had no complaints. Cozmo pumps are fairly
    new to my understanding, that may be why you can't find out
    much about them.

    Heather http://www.execulink.com/~craig/diabetictag.html
    http://www.execulink.com/~craig/pouches.htm

    "GeoffreyH" <[email protected]> wrote in message new-
    s:[email protected]
    hnetwork.com...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times,
    > but I've searched the archives as best I could, as
    > well as searching the web in general, and I haven't
    > found much help.
    >
    > My wife is type 1, and she is planning on going onto a
    > pump (mostly to reduce the number and severity of hypos
    > she's had)
    >
    > We've looked at the options availiable, and it looks like
    > the Minimed 512 and Cozmo are the best options for us.
    > We've met with the sales reps, and both pumps look like
    > they'd suit us fine.
    >
    > What I've seen in my seacching so far is a lot of
    > complaints about the minimed, and almost nothing about the
    > Cozmo (lots of 'It looks great, I'm getting mine soon' but
    > not much data after that).
    >
    > From my perspective, Minimed has a much larger number of
    > pumps out there, so they are likely to have more problems
    > (raw numbers), and of course the dissatisfied complain the
    > loudest, so I don't really have a good handle on how happy
    > their average user is.
    >
    > I did notice that they seem to nickle-and-dime you for
    > everything. The software costs extra, upgrades cost
    > extra, little things like that, which seems pretty
    > pathetic considering how much they make off your typical
    > pump user. Deltec may do this too, but it isn't as
    > evident to me so far.
    >
    > I have also seen lots of messages about people being mad
    > that the pump isn't waterproof. I asked the rep about
    > this, and she said 'while they are waterprrof when they
    > leave the factory, we don't want the liability risk of
    > having failures on a pump that has been in use for a year
    > and may or may not continue to be waterproof' To me that
    > is just spin, designed to placate the buyer, but my wife
    > doesn't lead that active of a lifestyle that this is a
    > limiting factor.
    >
    > I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its
    > memory even if the battery is left out, and think it is
    > idiotic that the Minimed doesn't offer this feature.
    >
    > Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    > anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?
    >
    > I'm not interested in knowing how Company X won't give you
    > stuff you 'deserve' for free, or how they 'ripped you
    > off'. I am interested in shortcomings you've found in the
    > pump or sets, unexpected issues that you've found in using
    > the pump, and anything positive you have to say about the
    > pump you are currently using.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provie, Geoff

  3. While I don't appreciate Minimed's take over by Medtronic,
    due to their heavy handed business practices I find no fault
    with my 508. I've used their pumps since '96. My wife has a
    511. The sets work fine (I use the MMT-315), the pump is
    easy to program, I've had a few failed pumps over the years,
    but never a failure that comes on without warning. The ship
    a replacement overnight.

    I haven't seen the other brands nor do I know anyone
    personally that has one.

    There is one huge caveat that you need to know up front:
    Your endo may be only prescribe one pump; the one they are
    familiar with. My endo refuses to prescribe the Cozmo.
    Doesn't mean there's anything wrong with it, but he is
    familiar with the MiniMed and that's what he prescribes. If
    I was a doctor, I'd be nuts to prescribe a piece of hardware
    that I didn't know backwards and forwards.

    If you want to speak on the phone you can email me your
    phone number to dave1812dave123456 "at" yahoo "d o t" com
    leave out the number string 1 thru 6 after "dave"

    dave

    GeoffreyH wrote:
    > I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times,
    > but I've searched the archives as best I could, as
    > well as searching the web in general, and I haven't
    > found much help.
    >
    > My wife is type 1, and she is planning on going onto a
    > pump (mostly to reduce the number and severity of hypos
    > she's had)
    >
    > We've looked at the options availiable, and it looks like
    > the Minimed 512 and Cozmo are the best options for us.
    > We've met with the sales reps, and both pumps look like
    > they'd suit us fine.
    >
    > What I've seen in my seacching so far is a lot of
    > complaints about the minimed, and almost nothing about the
    > Cozmo (lots of 'It looks great, I'm getting mine soon' but
    > not much data after that).
    >
    > From my perspective, Minimed has a much larger number of
    > pumps out there, so they are likely to have more problems
    > (raw numbers), and of course the dissatisfied complain the
    > loudest, so I don't really have a good handle on how happy
    > their average user is.
    >
    > I did notice that they seem to nickle-and-dime you for
    > everything. The software costs extra, upgrades cost
    > extra, little things like that, which seems pretty
    > pathetic considering how much they make off your typical
    > pump user. Deltec may do this too, but it isn't as
    > evident to me so far.
    >
    > I have also seen lots of messages about people being mad
    > that the pump isn't waterproof. I asked the rep about
    > this, and she said 'while they are waterprrof when they
    > leave the factory, we don't want the liability risk of
    > having failures on a pump that has been in use for a year
    > and may or may not continue to be waterproof' To me that
    > is just spin, designed to placate the buyer, but my wife
    > doesn't lead that active of a lifestyle that this is a
    > limiting factor.
    >
    > I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its
    > memory even if the battery is left out, and think it is
    > idiotic that the Minimed doesn't offer this feature.
    >
    > Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    > anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?
    >
    > I'm not interested in knowing how Company X won't give you
    > stuff you 'deserve' for free, or how they 'ripped you
    > off'. I am interested in shortcomings you've found in the
    > pump or sets, unexpected issues that you've found in using
    > the pump, and anything positive you have to say about the
    > pump you are currently using.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provie, Geoff

  4. First thing is to get a copy of the book Pumping Insulin
    from MiniMed. Its not pump specific, and will provide lots
    of information whichever pump you choose.

    Then try inserting each infusion set, and see just how
    easy/painful it is. I would wear it for a day too. May help
    you mak up your mind.

    --
    George Eberhardt
    (732)224-8988

  5. George Eberhardt wrote:

    > First thing is to get a copy of the book Pumping Insulin
    > from MiniMed. Its not pump specific, and will provide lots
    > of information whichever pump you choose.
    >
    > Then try inserting each infusion set, and see just how
    > easy/painful it is. I would wear it for a day too. May
    > help you mak up your mind.
    >
    > --
    > George Eberhardt
    > (732)224-8988

    You don't even have to let Medtronic/Minimed know you're
    interested in a pump - I'm sure they'll start a sales
    campaign on you...They did on me while I was fighting my
    insurance company.

    You can order Pumping Insulin through amazon.com or
    chapters.indigo.com in Canada or your local bookseller can
    order it for you. I got my copy earlier this week. That's
    "Pumping Insulin - Everything You Need For Success With An
    Insulin Pump" 3rd edition, by John Walsh, P.A., C.D.E. and
    Ruth Roberts, M.A. ISBN 1-884804-84-5 Published by Torrey
    Pines press.

    I decided on an Animas pump (an IR1000 with a free upgrade
    to the IR1200 when it becomes available in Canada), Geoff,
    and I go for my training Monday. I can't give you much
    insight into pumping yet as I'm a rank newbie.

    HTH :)

    Vicki

  6. H&Cc

    H&Cc Guest

    Vicki
    If you are thinking of upgrading to the IR1200 keep in mind that it has a
    smaller insulin cartridge then the IR1000, which means you will be changing
    it more often and that will increase your supplies costs.
    Heather (mom of a teenage Animas pumper)
    http://www.execulink.com/~craig/diabetictag.html
    http://www.execulink.com/~craig/pouches.htm

    "Vicki Beausoleil" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > George Eberhardt wrote:
    > >
    > > First thing is to get a copy of the book Pumping Insulin
    > > from MiniMed.
    Its
    > > not pump specific, and will provide lots of information
    > > whichever pump
    you

  7. H&CC wrote:

    > Vicki If you are thinking of upgrading to the IR1200 keep
    > in mind that it has a smaller insulin cartridge then the
    > IR1000, which means you will be changing it more often and
    > that will increase your supplies costs. Heather (mom of a
    > teenage Animas pumper)
    > http://www.execulink.com/~craig/diabetictag.html
    > http://www.execulink.com/~craig/pouches.htm

    Hi Heather

    I should still be able to get 4 days with a 175 u reservoir.
    The thought of keeping an infusion set in for longer than
    that kinda gives me the creeps :) Luckily hub's insurance
    covers all the consumables (with the possible exception of
    batteries), the resistance I had was over the cost of the
    pump itself.

    Vicki

  8. H&Cc

    H&Cc Guest

    Hi Vicki
    You can change the infusion sets (including tube) and not change the
    cartridge. My daughter changes her sites every 3 days, but we use the
    cartridges until they have less then 10 units in it, that's about every 4
    days with the 300 unit cartridge. We don't have any pump related coverage so
    we try to use things as long as safely possible.
    Have you checked out http://www.insulin-pumpers.ca/Provincial/ont.html ?
    There are some good tips on the Hamilton Group's site as well as the home
    page.
    Heather (mom of a teenage Animas pumper)
    http://www.execulink.com/~craig/diabetictag.html
    http://www.execulink.com/~craig/pouches.htm

    "Vicki Beausoleil" <[email protected]> wrote in
    message news:[email protected]...
    > H&CC wrote:
    > >
    > > Vicki If you are thinking of upgrading to the IR1200
    > > keep in mind that it has
    > > smaller insulin cartridge then the IR1000, which means
    > > you will be
    changing
    > > it more often and that will increase your supplies
    > > costs. Heather (mom of a teenage Animas pumper)
    > > http://www.execulink.com/~craig/diabetictag.html
    > > http://www.execulink.com/~craig/pouches.htm
    > >

    > Hi Heather
    >
    > I should still be able to get 4 days with a 175 u
    > reservoir. The thought of keeping an infusion set in for
    > longer than that kinda gives me the creeps :) Luckily
    > hub's insurance covers all the consumables (with the
    > possible exception of batteries), the resistance I had was
    > over the cost of the pump itself.
    >
    > Vicki

  9. Randy Sigman

    Randy Sigman Guest

    GeoffreyH <[email protected].com> wrote:
    > I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times,
    > but I've searched the archives as best I could, as
    > well as searching the web in general, and I haven't
    > found much help.

    > My wife is type 1, and she is planning on going onto a
    > pump (mostly to reduce the number and severity of hypos
    > she's had)

    > We've looked at the options availiable, and it looks like
    > the Minimed 512 and Cozmo are the best options for us.
    > We've met with the sales reps, and both pumps look like
    > they'd suit us fine.

    > What I've seen in my seacching so far is a lot of
    > complaints about the minimed, and almost nothing about the
    > Cozmo (lots of 'It looks great, I'm getting mine soon' but
    > not much data after that).

    I'm one who has complained about the Minimed customer
    service department. It used to be stellar, but has plummeted
    since the Medtronic takeover. There appears to be no desire
    on their part to improve it. Their pumps are decent
    products, however.

    > I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its
    > memory even if the battery is left out, and think it is
    > idiotic that the Minimed doesn't offer this feature.

    I don't know why Minimed can't get that right either. I'm on
    my 2nd or 3rd 512 since my purchase of one last year. The
    last cause for replacement was an almost daily ESD (electro
    static discharge). I'd be bolusing for a meal and the pump
    would cease to function, and need to be completely
    reprogrammed. I was told to learn to live with it when it
    happened weekly, but then it increased and they exchanged
    pumps for me.

    The mechanical/electronic problem wasn't as annoying as the
    way in which they responded to my concerns.

    > Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    > anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?

    After moving from a 506 to a 507 to a 511 and now to a 512,
    I will no longer support Minimed. If and when it comes time
    to replace my current pump, I will be looking at Animas,
    Cozmo, and whatever else might be out there.

    Best of luck,

    Randy

  10. Geoff -

    Check out:

    http://www.diabetesnet.com/diabetes_technology/insuli-
    npumps.php

    And click on the brand names across the top to see info
    on each pump. The don't list the Nipro Amigo. Their
    home page is:

    http://nipro-diabetes.com/

    It's a very Shockwave/Flash/PC page, so, depending on your
    browser, you might not see much...

    The Feb or Mar issue of Diabete Interview had a
    resource guide that included a nice table comparing
    features of insulin pumps. Maybe your doctor or local
    library has a copy.

    - Tere

    "GeoffreyH" <[email protected]> wrote in message new-
    s:<[email protected]
    thnetwork.com>...
    > I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times,
    > but I've searched the archives as best I could, as
    > well as searching the web in general, and I haven't
    > found much help.
    >
    > My wife is type 1, and she is planning on going onto a
    > pump (mostly to reduce the number and severity of hypos
    > she's had)
    >
    > We've looked at the options availiable, and it looks like
    > the Minimed 512 and Cozmo are the best options for us.
    > We've met with the sales reps, and both pumps look like
    > they'd suit us fine.
    >
    > What I've seen in my seacching so far is a lot of
    > complaints about the minimed, and almost nothing about the
    > Cozmo (lots of 'It looks great, I'm getting mine soon' but
    > not much data after that).
    >
    > From my perspective, Minimed has a much larger number of
    > pumps out there, so they are likely to have more problems
    > (raw numbers), and of course the dissatisfied complain the
    > loudest, so I don't really have a good handle on how happy
    > their average user is.
    >
    > I did notice that they seem to nickle-and-dime you for
    > everything. The software costs extra, upgrades cost
    > extra, little things like that, which seems pretty
    > pathetic considering how much they make off your typical
    > pump user. Deltec may do this too, but it isn't as
    > evident to me so far.
    >
    > I have also seen lots of messages about people being mad
    > that the pump isn't waterproof. I asked the rep about
    > this, and she said 'while they are waterprrof when they
    > leave the factory, we don't want the liability risk of
    > having failures on a pump that has been in use for a year
    > and may or may not continue to be waterproof' To me that
    > is just spin, designed to placate the buyer, but my wife
    > doesn't lead that active of a lifestyle that this is a
    > limiting factor.
    >
    > I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its
    > memory even if the battery is left out, and think it is
    > idiotic that the Minimed doesn't offer this feature.
    >
    > Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    > anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?
    >
    > I'm not interested in knowing how Company X won't give you
    > stuff you 'deserve' for free, or how they 'ripped you
    > off'. I am interested in shortcomings you've found in the
    > pump or sets, unexpected issues that you've found in using
    > the pump, and anything positive you have to say about the
    > pump you are currently using.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provie, Geoff

  11. Actually the IR-1200 has a 200 U reservoir.

    Vicki Beausoleil <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>... [snip]
    > I should still be able to get 4 days with a 175 u
    > reservoir. The thought of keeping an infusion set in for
    > longer than that kinda gives me the creeps :) Luckily
    > hub's insurance covers all the consumables (with the
    > possible exception of batteries), the resistance I had was
    > over the cost of the pump itself.

  12. what was the relative humidity Randy? did you have the pump
    in a leather case? do you get static shocks when touching
    doorknobs? I had my 508 reset after accidentally dragging
    bed sheets over it while it was out of the leather case (a
    rarity). Ultimately I got a replacement unit and haven't had
    a problem with resets in more than a year and a half. My
    wife's 511 reset a couple of times and they replaced hers;
    no further problemos since.

    dave

    Randy Sigman wrote:

    > GeoffreyH <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times,
    >>but I've searched the archives as best I could, as
    >>well as searching the web in general, and I haven't
    >>found much help.
    >

    >>My wife is type 1, and she is planning on going onto a
    >>pump (mostly to reduce the number and severity of hypos
    >>she's had)
    >

    >>We've looked at the options availiable, and it looks like
    >>the Minimed 512 and Cozmo are the best options for us.
    >>We've met with the sales reps, and both pumps look like
    >>they'd suit us fine.
    >

    >>What I've seen in my seacching so far is a lot of
    >>complaints about the minimed, and almost nothing about the
    >>Cozmo (lots of 'It looks great, I'm getting mine soon' but
    >>not much data after that).
    >

    > I'm one who has complained about the Minimed customer
    > service department. It used to be stellar, but has
    > plummeted since the Medtronic takeover. There appears to
    > be no desire on their part to improve it. Their pumps are
    > decent products, however.
    >

    >>I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its
    >>memory even if the battery is left out, and think it is
    >>idiotic that the Minimed doesn't offer this feature.
    >

    > I don't know why Minimed can't get that right either. I'm
    > on my 2nd or 3rd 512 since my purchase of one last year.
    > The last cause for replacement was an almost daily ESD
    > (electro static discharge). I'd be bolusing for a meal and
    > the pump would cease to function, and need to be
    > completely reprogrammed. I was told to learn to live with
    > it when it happened weekly, but then it increased and they
    > exchanged pumps for me.
    >
    > The mechanical/electronic problem wasn't as annoying as
    > the way in which they responded to my concerns.
    >

    >>Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    >>anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?
    >

    > After moving from a 506 to a 507 to a 511 and now to a
    > 512, I will no longer support Minimed. If and when it
    > comes time to replace my current pump, I will be looking
    > at Animas, Cozmo, and whatever else might be out there.
    >
    > Best of luck,
    >

    > Randy

  13. Randy Sigman

    Randy Sigman Guest

    Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    > what was the relative humidity Randy?

    I have no idea, but I'm in the northeast US, and this
    happened during winter time.

    > did you have the pump in a leather case?

    I hate using the leather case. They haven't figured out
    how to make the plastic window clear enough or flexible
    enough for my comfort. It mostly happened without the
    case, but even when they told me use the case it
    continued, albeit less.

    > do you get static shocks when touching doorknobs?

    Yes.

    > I had my 508 reset after accidentally dragging bed sheets
    > over it while it was out of the leather case (a rarity).
    > Ultimately I got a replacement unit and haven't had a
    > problem with resets in more than a year and a half. My
    > wife's 511 reset a couple of times and they replaced hers;
    > no further problemos since.

    The "shocks" causing errors were never audible or visible or
    tactile. In fact, the bolus would begin, after the pump was
    inserted into the plastic belt holster, and 30 seconds later
    it would stop, for no apparent reason. The
    audible/visible/tactile shocks I would get from touching
    doorknobs never caused the pump to malfunction.

    The replacement pump performs perfectly, even without the
    leather case.

    Randy

    > Randy Sigman wrote:

    >> GeoffreyH <[email protected]> wrote:
    >>
    >>>I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times,
    >>>but I've searched the archives as best I could, as
    >>>well as searching the web in general, and I haven't
    >>>found much help.
    >>

    >>>My wife is type 1, and she is planning on going onto a
    >>>pump (mostly to reduce the number and severity of hypos
    >>>she's had)
    >>

    >>>We've looked at the options availiable, and it looks like
    >>>the Minimed 512 and Cozmo are the best options for us.
    >>>We've met with the sales reps, and both pumps look like
    >>>they'd suit us fine.
    >>

    >>>What I've seen in my seacching so far is a lot of
    >>>complaints about the minimed, and almost nothing about
    >>>the Cozmo (lots of 'It looks great, I'm getting mine
    >>>soon' but not much data after that).
    >>

    >> I'm one who has complained about the Minimed customer
    >> service department. It used to be stellar, but has
    >> plummeted since the Medtronic takeover. There appears to
    >> be no desire on their part to improve it. Their pumps are
    >> decent products, however.
    >>

    >>>I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its
    >>>memory even if the battery is left out, and think it is
    >>>idiotic that the Minimed doesn't offer this feature.
    >>

    >> I don't know why Minimed can't get that right either. I'm
    >> on my 2nd or 3rd 512 since my purchase of one last year.
    >> The last cause for replacement was an almost daily ESD
    >> (electro static discharge). I'd be bolusing for a meal
    >> and the pump would cease to function, and need to be
    >> completely reprogrammed. I was told to learn to live with
    >> it when it happened weekly, but then it increased and
    >> they exchanged pumps for me.
    >>
    >> The mechanical/electronic problem wasn't as annoying as
    >> the way in which they responded to my concerns.
    >>

    >>>Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    >>>anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?
    >>

    >> After moving from a 506 to a 507 to a 511 and now to a
    >> 512, I will no longer support Minimed. If and when it
    >> comes time to replace my current pump, I will be looking
    >> at Animas, Cozmo, and whatever else might be out there.
    >>
    >> Best of luck,
    >>

    >> Randy

  14. "GeoffreyH" <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]k.
    com:

    > I'm sure this has been discussed hundreds of times,
    > but I've searched the archives as best I could, as
    > well as searching the web in general, and I haven't
    > found much help.
    >
    > My wife is type 1, and she is planning on going onto a
    > pump (mostly to reduce the number and severity of hypos
    > she's had)
    >
    > We've looked at the options availiable, and it looks like
    > the Minimed 512 and Cozmo are the best options for us.
    > We've met with the sales reps, and both pumps look like
    > they'd suit us fine.
    >
    > What I've seen in my seacching so far is a lot of
    > complaints about the minimed, and almost nothing about the
    > Cozmo (lots of 'It looks great, I'm getting mine soon' but
    > not much data after that).
    >
    > From my perspective, Minimed has a much larger number of
    > pumps out there, so they are likely to have more problems
    > (raw numbers), and of course the dissatisfied complain the
    > loudest, so I don't really have a good handle on how happy
    > their average user is.
    >
    > I did notice that they seem to nickle-and-dime you for
    > everything. The software costs extra, upgrades cost
    > extra, little things like that, which seems pretty
    > pathetic considering how much they make off your typical
    > pump user. Deltec may do this too, but it isn't as
    > evident to me so far.
    >
    > I have also seen lots of messages about people being mad
    > that the pump isn't waterproof. I asked the rep about
    > this, and she said 'while they are waterprrof when they
    > leave the factory, we don't want the liability risk of
    > having failures on a pump that has been in use for a year
    > and may or may not continue to be waterproof' To me that
    > is just spin, designed to placate the buyer, but my wife
    > doesn't lead that active of a lifestyle that this is a
    > limiting factor.
    >
    > I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its
    > memory even if the battery is left out, and think it is
    > idiotic that the Minimed doesn't offer this feature.
    >
    > Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    > anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?
    >
    > I'm not interested in knowing how Company X won't give you
    > stuff you 'deserve' for free, or how they 'ripped you
    > off'. I am interested in shortcomings you've found in the
    > pump or sets, unexpected issues that you've found in using
    > the pump, and anything positive you have to say about the
    > pump you are currently using.
    >
    > Thanks for any help you can provie, Geoff

    I had to replace my MiniMed 507C a couple months ago and
    came to the same conclusion, new MiniMed or Deltec Cozmo. I
    chose the Cozmo. It was a tough pick, MiniMed is the 500#
    gorilla in the (US) market and since the buy out is acting
    like it. Deltec is a relatively new and small player, at
    least in the insulin pump market. They haven't sold enough
    to be listed in the Insulin Pumper's Organization statistics
    which show MiniMed with about 75% of the (mostly US) market.
    See http://insulin-pumpers.org/about.shtml

    They archive their chat rooms and I found a little
    discussion about the Cozmo there in December. There may
    be more now.

    I finally decided to go with the Cozmo. I am quite happy
    with it, but have never worn a 512 so it is difficult to
    compare directly.

    Pump preferences are much like operating system
    preferences, much depends on what you first use and get
    used to and much depends on idiosyncratic preferences. The
    things that are listed in the comparison charts are often
    not the things that turn out to annoy you or that you find
    comforting. For example, I miss the clicking of my 507C.
    Some people thought the clicking was horrible. I like the
    fact that a standard bolus is possible on the Cozmo when an
    extended bolus is already in effect. This would probably
    not make much difference to most people. I don't need no
    stinking remote. I know a guy who is very paranoid about
    people finding out he is a diabetic and uses the remote on
    his MiniMed all the time.

    I use the MiniMed Quick infusion sets which have a standard
    Lurer lock that matches the Cozmo syringe. The new Quick
    Plus sets have a proprietary lock that only works with the
    MiniMed new style syringes. Eventually this may become a
    problem when the older MiniMeds die off.

    --
    -------
    Charly Coughran [email protected]

  15. I think sometimes one pump is much more sensitive to
    resetting itself than another. Like you said, when they
    replaced it, you stopped having problems. I get stubborn
    with their tech support when I know that I'm having a
    problem with my pump that only a replacement will fix.

    dave

    Randy Sigman wrote:
    > Bay Area Dave <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    >>what was the relative humidity Randy?
    >

    > I have no idea, but I'm in the northeast US, and this
    > happened during winter time.
    >

    >>did you have the pump in a leather case?
    >

    > I hate using the leather case. They haven't figured out
    > how to make the plastic window clear enough or flexible
    > enough for my comfort. It mostly happened without the
    > case, but even when they told me use the case it
    > continued, albeit less.
    >

    >>do you get static shocks when touching doorknobs?
    >

    > Yes.
    >

    >>I had my 508 reset after accidentally dragging bed sheets
    >>over it while it was out of the leather case (a rarity).
    >>Ultimately I got a replacement unit and haven't had a
    >>problem with resets in more than a year and a half. My
    >>wife's 511 reset a couple of times and they replaced hers;
    >>no further problemos since.
    >

    > The "shocks" causing errors were never audible or visible
    > or tactile. In fact, the bolus would begin, after the pump
    > was inserted into the plastic belt holster, and 30 seconds
    > later it would stop, for no apparent reason. The
    > audible/visible/tactile shocks I would get from touching
    > doorknobs never caused the pump to malfunction.
    >
    > The replacement pump performs perfectly, even without the
    > leather case.
    >
    > Randy
    >

    >>Randy Sigman wrote:

    >>>I'm one who has complained about the Minimed customer
    >>>service department. It used to be stellar, but has
    >>>plummeted since the Medtronic takeover. There appears to
    >>>be no desire on their part to improve it. Their pumps are
    >>>decent products, however.

    >>>I don't know why Minimed can't get that right either. I'm
    >>>on my 2nd or 3rd 512 since my purchase of one last year.
    >>>The last cause for replacement was an almost daily ESD
    >>>(electro static discharge). I'd be bolusing for a meal
    >>>and the pump would cease to function, and need to be
    >>>completely reprogrammed. I was told to learn to live with
    >>>it when it happened weekly, but then it increased and
    >>>they exchanged pumps for me.
    >>>
    >>>The mechanical/electronic problem wasn't as annoying as
    >>>the way in which they responded to my concerns.

    >>>After moving from a 506 to a 507 to a 511 and now to a
    >>>512, I will no longer support Minimed. If and when it
    >>>comes time to replace my current pump, I will be looking
    >>>at Animas, Cozmo, and whatever else might be out there.
    >>>
    >>>Best of luck,
    >>>

    >>>Randy

  16. On Fri, 26 Mar 2004 14:35:53 -0600, in misc.health.diabetes "GeoffreyH"
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    >>I really like the fact that the Cozmo will retain its
    >>memory even if =
    the
    >>battery is left out, and think it is idiotic that the
    >>Minimed doesn't offer this feature.
    >>
    >>Okay, so with all that out of the way, can anyone give me
    >>anecdotal evidence for or against the above two pumps?

    My CDE felt that the menu and button setup on the cosmo was
    a bit poorer.= She felt it tended to take more button
    pushes, with the pump asking you to = confirm and "are you
    sure" kind of things. apparently to make it more idiot =
    proof, but she thought they'd overdone it But at least one
    user of the pump who I = know, loves it, and I think it may
    be slightly smaller and lighter, which the = ladies like
    when it comes time to try and hide the thing somewhere in an
    evening= gown. (My friend managed to clip hers to a neck
    strap on her gown, so it was = hidden under her long hair. A
    novel approach, if I say so myself) And nobody I know has
    complained that the cosmo isn't sufficiently = waterproof,
    though i don't know about that. One important comment is
    that some of = the appeal of the 512 is the whole linked
    meter system. My own experience = with that meter (made by
    bd) is that it's a faulty, untrustworthy device. Readings=
    are not accurate or consistent, at least with the one i got.
    I've kept it = only because I still need it to link the pump
    to the computer. On the other = hand, one complaint I've
    heard about the Cozmo is that bolus delivery is quite =
    rapid. The importance of that is that if, after starting a
    bolus, you find = you've made a mistake, and wish to stop
    the bolus delivery, you have very little time= to do so.
    With the minimed, bolus delivery is extended over a long
    enough = period of time that you can easily stop it before
    much insulin has been delivered. = Also, at least with my
    712, your worry about loosing settings without the = battery
    is a little overstated, as you can leave the battery out
    for, so I'm told, = around 20 minutes without loosing
    settings. At least that's what's claimed. i've = not tested
    that myself.

    Hope that helps.

    Peter Rowe

  17. Peter W. Rowe <[email protected]> wrote in
    news:[email protected]:

    On the other hand, one complaint
    > I've heard about the Cozmo is that bolus delivery is quite
    > rapid. The importance of that is that if, after starting a
    > bolus, you find you've made a mistake, and wish to stop
    > the bolus delivery, you have very little time to do so.
    > With the minimed, bolus delivery is extended over a long
    > enough period of time that you can easily stop it before
    > much insulin has been delivered.

    This is a good instance of why it is difficult to compare
    pumps without really living with them both for a while. It
    is true that the Cozmo has a fairly rapid bolus delivery,
    but it also has pretty good resolution on the extended
    bolus, 15 minutes. It may not be what you consider a perfect
    bolus length, but it does get around the problem.

    I remember when I got my 507C, MiniMed was making a big deal
    out of it's combined extended and immediate bolus, a feature
    that the Disetronic didn't have. With a Disetronic you
    could, of course apply a bolus and a modified basal for a
    given duration and produce nearly the same result.

    Solving the practical day to day issues with a given pump is
    comparing where the rubber meets the road, rather than from
    a comparison chart. I think for my next new pump, I'll push
    the rep's for a 30 day loaner for all of the short list
    candidate replacements.