Minipump

Discussion in 'Australia and New Zealand' started by flyingdutch, May 18, 2004.

  1. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Got to carpark where the bike lives while Im doing the hardyards, and
    discovered a front tyre flat!

    Start to change over tube and in the process snap the locking lever on
    my minipump!!!

    Its now locked permanently in 'tight' mode I can jemmy it into 'off'
    position but realistically its not any use to me anymore. I never really
    like it anyway and never gave me great pressure on my road bike (altho
    it gets far more use on my commuting mtb)

    What would people recommend. Want good pressure, Preferably a good
    locking/engaging mech One of those handles that rotates/flips to become
    more like a trackstand handle for greater leverage

    thanx in advance

  2. Craigster

    Craigster Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What would people recommend. Want good pressure, Preferably a good
    > locking/engaging mech One of those handles that rotates/flips to become
    > more like a trackstand handle for greater leverage
    >
    > thanx in advance

    I've got a Topeak mountain morph - which as you describe allows it to be
    used like a track pump (in fact due to a lack of space at home, it is our
    main pump). I can inflate road tyres to 120psi without too much sweat,
    although it is a little heavy to carry around on a regular basis. The build
    is also very good.

    As a portable, I tried the Master Blaster DX, also from Topeak, but although
    it claims to inflate to 120psi, I couldn't get it past 80. Fine for MTB
    tyres, but it annoys me they should make a claim like that so I returned it.

    I've found a major differentiator to be the construction of the pump head -
    on some better pumps, the head assembly is metal. I've had several plastic
    ones (mainly Specialized) break on me, particularly the pin which opens your
    inner tube's valve.

    Cheers,
    Craigster

  3. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by flyingdutch What would people recommend.

    Silca track pump and any sort of minipump that works when you need it.

    >Want good pressure,

    Silca

    >Preferably a good locking/engaging mech

    Pfft.. locking mechs just end up breaking. My old Blackburn screwtop is
    still going strong. I've also got another brand which I can't remember
    the name of right now..

    >One of those handles that rotates/flips to become more like a
    >>trackstand handle for greater leverage

    You mean trackPUMP right? :) Or do you do your trackstands by sticking
    out your pump for balance? :)

    In all seriousness, a frame pump should only be for emergency pumping
    anyway and doesn't need to be 'super' high pressure, it just needs to
    work when you need it, so the less bells and whistles, the better. Get a
    track pump to do all your usual refills. I'd only use my frame pump
    maybe 10 times a year(?) when I puncture.

    hippy

    --

  4. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > >Originally posted by flyingdutch What would people recommend.

    > Silca track pump and any sort of minipump that works when you need it.
    > >Want good pressure,

    > Silca
    > >Preferably a good locking/engaging mech

    > Pfft.. locking mechs just end up breaking. My old Blackburn screwtop is
    > still going strong. I've also got another brand which I can't remember
    > the name of right now..
    > >One of those handles that rotates/flips to become more like a
    > >>trackstand handle for greater leverage

    > You mean trackPUMP right? :) Or do you do your trackstands by sticking
    > out your pump for balance? :)
    > In all seriousness, a frame pump should only be for emergency pumping
    > anyway and doesn't need to be 'super' high pressure, it just needs to
    > work when you need it, so the less bells and whistles, the better. Get a
    > track pump to do all your usual refills. I'd only use my frame pump
    > maybe 10 times a year(?) when I puncture.
    > hippy

    Yeah, got the Silca TrackPUMP at home.

    (PS can you replace the rubber grommet thingy in the head/attaching bit?
    mines worn to buggery and not very well sealing at the mo).

    yes the minipump is used very little here too. but when I most need it
    (ie cant go back inside from shed and make coffee and contemplate) when
    commuting/weekend rides.

    Cecil Walker list a few Blackburn models which look the go...
    ""Balckburn AS1 Air Stick Pump A mini-pump designed to handle high-
    pressure road tires---fast. Double-action internals inflate in both
    directions of pump stroke to fill tires faster. Small diameter barrel
    requires less effort at high pressure so you can reach stratospheric
    recommended riding pressures (up to 160psi, really) on the road instead
    of limping home with soft tires and tired arms Price: $38.95"

    Looks nice and strong so I can use it to do trackSTANDS :p

    Anyone got anything better or got one of these to give open-onion?

    --

  5. DRS

    DRS Guest

    "flyingdutch" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]

    [...]

    > Yeah, got the Silca TrackPUMP at home.
    >
    > (PS can you replace the rubber grommet thingy in the head/attaching
    > bit? mines worn to buggery and not very well sealing at the mo).

    Ummm... Google rec.bicycles.tech, from memory someone was talking about the
    a short while back.

    > yes the minipump is used very little here too. but when I most need it
    > (ie cant go back inside from shed and make coffee and contemplate)
    > when commuting/weekend rides.
    >
    > Cecil Walker list a few Blackburn models which look the go...
    > ""Balckburn AS1 Air Stick Pump A mini-pump designed to handle high-
    > pressure road tires---fast. Double-action internals inflate in both
    > directions of pump stroke to fill tires faster. Small diameter barrel
    > requires less effort at high pressure so you can reach stratospheric
    > recommended riding pressures (up to 160psi, really) on the road
    > instead
    > of limping home with soft tires and tired arms Price: $38.95"
    >
    > Looks nice and strong so I can use it to do trackSTANDS :p
    >
    > Anyone got anything better or got one of these to give open-onion?

    I've got one. It's small, light and takes ages. Pumping up my tyres and
    the air horn is equivalent to an upper body workout at the gym. I've never
    tried pumping anything over 100psi so I've got no idea whether it'll get to
    160. First chance I get I'm buying a floor pump for home so I can leave the
    mini for emergencies.

    --

    A: Top-posters.

  6. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Just got me a new minipump!

    Serfas Grifter

    $32 at Cecil's

    Alu body light good hand grip (like a track pump) nozzle detachs and
    is on end of hose to main body (so no more ripping heads off valve
    stems!#@#!#@!!) Had a go in the shop. Got a 23mm tyre up to 120psi
    with no sweat!

    Hopefully that will scar ethe puncture fairies off!!!;)

    --

  7. Tony

    Tony Guest

    I've got a Blackburn Airstick which does the trick - nothing fancy,
    but will do 90 psi without any trouble (and more if you're prepared to
    put in some effort).
    It's also very light, has a folding t-grip and is not outrageously
    expensive.

    ----------------------

    flyingdutch <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
    > Got to carpark where the bike lives while Im doing the hardyards, and
    > discovered a front tyre flat!
    >
    > Start to change over tube and in the process snap the locking lever on
    > my minipump!!!
    >
    > Its now locked permanently in 'tight' mode I can jemmy it into 'off'
    > position but realistically its not any use to me anymore. I never really
    > like it anyway and never gave me great pressure on my road bike (altho
    > it gets far more use on my commuting mtb)
    >
    > What would people recommend. Want good pressure, Preferably a good
    > locking/engaging mech One of those handles that rotates/flips to become
    > more like a trackstand handle for greater leverage
    >
    > thanx in advance
    >

    > --

  8. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:
    > Just got me a new minipump!
    >
    > Serfas Grifter
    >
    > $32 at Cecil's
    >
    > Alu body light good hand grip (like a track pump) nozzle detachs and
    > is on end of hose to main body (so no more ripping heads off valve
    > stems!#@#!#@!!) Had a go in the shop. Got a 23mm tyre up to 120psi
    > with no sweat!
    >
    > Hopefully that will scar ethe puncture fairies off!!!;)
    >

    > --

    Did Leigh put you onto that?

    He told me a few weeks ago that the Serfas Grifter was the best mini
    pump he'd _ever_ used, and for those who don't know, Leigh is not
    prone to bullshitting :)

    --
    Nick

  9. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Nickzx6r wrote:
    > > Hopefully that will scar ethe puncture fairies off!!!;)
    > >

    > > --
    > >

    > Did Leigh put you onto that?
    > He told me a few weeks ago that the Serfas Grifter was the best mini
    > pump he'd _ever_ used, and for those who don't know, Leigh is not prone
    > to bullshitting :)
    > --
    > Nick

    Yep! Apparently he bought one in France cos he'd forgotten his when
    going over there for cycling holiday (or was it PBP? maybe that was
    year prior...)

    Didnt help me in the eyes of the puncture fairy tho:mad: :mad: :mad:

    Got down to the garage and found I had a flat rear tyre this time!!!
    Large shard of glass (probably picked up at the same time my front one
    was punctured the day before)

    Pump worked a treat tho

    --

  10. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    flyingdutch wrote:

    > Nickzx6r wrote:
    > > > Hopefully that will scar ethe puncture fairies off!!!;)
    > > >

    > > > --
    > > >

    > > Did Leigh put you onto that?
    > > He told me a few weeks ago that the Serfas Grifter was the best mini
    > > pump he'd _ever_ used, and for those who don't know, Leigh is not prone
    > > to bullshitting :)
    > > --
    > > Nick

    > Yep! Apparently he bought one in France cos he'd forgotten his when
    > going over there for cycling holiday (or was it PBP? maybe that was
    > year prior...)
    >
    > Didnt help me in the eyes of the puncture fairy tho:mad: :mad: :mad:
    >
    > Got down to the garage and found I had a flat rear tyre this time!!!
    > Large shard of glass (probably picked up at the same time my front one
    > was punctured the day before)
    >
    > Pump worked a treat tho
    >

    > --

    I thought about buying one, but I'm too paranoid - as soon as I buy a
    new pump, I'll start getting punctures :)

    --
    Nick

  11. Etxy

    Etxy Guest

    Nickzx6r wrote:
    > I thought about buying one, but I'm too paranoid - as soon as I buy a
    > new pump, I'll start getting punctures :) Nick

    That's my policy, I'm so paranoid I don't even carry a pump with me! ;)

    --

  12. hippy

    hippy Guest

    Etxy wrote:
    > That's my policy, I'm so paranoid I don't even carry a pump with me! ;)

    What do you hit stupid drivers with then?

    .. oh hang on, this isn't the "Couriers" thread.. doo dee doo doo...
    "nothing to see here, move it along people"

    hippy

    --

  13. DaveB

    DaveB Guest

    hippy wrote:
    > Etxy wrote:
    > > That's my policy, I'm so paranoid I don't even carry a pump with me! ;)

    > What do you hit stupid drivers with then?
    >
    > . oh hang on, this isn't the "Couriers" thread.. doo dee doo doo...
    > "nothing to see here, move it along people"
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --

    I have a minipump, but I also keep an old K-mart pump on the bike
    because it is easy to get off quickly mid-pedal and swing at dogs when
    they chase me. Haven't managed to connect yet, but those polo skills are
    improving (I'm convinced Springvale Rd is a safre ride on the weekend
    than the Eastern Freewat trail east of Bulleen Rd).

    DaveB

  14. eddiec

    eddiec Guest

    Daveb wrote:
    > I have a minipump, but I also keep an old K-mart pump on the bike
    > because it is easy to get off quickly mid-pedal and swing at dogs when
    > they chase me. Haven't managed to connect yet, but those polo skills are
    > improving (I'm convinced Springvale Rd is a safre ride on the weekend
    > than the Eastern Freewat trail east of Bulleen Rd).
    > DaveB

    Hell yes!! :mad:

    I live virtually right on that trail and avoid it like the plaque on the
    weekend, unless I'm leaving super-early. The combination of unaware
    walkers, dog-central and wobbly riders is enough to send you screaming
    into the night. I still don't fully understand the logic behind locating
    bike paths in off-leash dog areas, or vice versa... Sounds like a recipe
    for disaster.

    In my paper-boy days i used to carry a short length of hose for the same
    purpose - However, I like dogs too much these days and would rather give
    the owner a cuff across the ear as I ride past for being so
    irresponsible.

    --

  15. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    Etxy wrote:
    > Nickzx6r wrote:
    > > I thought about buying one, but I'm too paranoid - as soon as I buy a
    > > new pump, I'll start getting punctures :) Nick

    > That's my policy, I'm so paranoid I don't even carry a pump with me! ;)
    >

    > --

    I don't even take a bike with me! ;)

    --
    Nick

  16. NickZX6R

    NickZX6R Guest

    hippy wrote:

    > Etxy wrote:
    > > That's my policy, I'm so paranoid I don't even carry a pump with me! ;)

    > What do you hit stupid drivers with then?
    >
    > . oh hang on, this isn't the "Couriers" thread.. doo dee doo doo...
    > "nothing to see here, move it along people"
    >
    > hippy
    >

    > --
    >

    > What do you hit stupid drivers with then?

    razor sharp wit ? ;)

    --
    Nick

  17. kingsley

    kingsley Guest

    On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:19:09 +0000, hippy wrote:

    > What do you hit stupid drivers with then?

    Nightstick battery.

    :p

    -kt

  18. Andrew Price

    Andrew Price Guest

    "kingsley" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:p[email protected]
    > On Thu, 20 May 2004 15:19:09 +0000, hippy wrote:
    >
    > > What do you hit stupid drivers with then?

    a HUGE smile and a big wave, as if you know them.

    its what they least expect and annoys the hell out of them.

    best, Andrew

  19. flyingdutch

    flyingdutch Guest

    Nickzx6r wrote:
    > I thought about buying one, but I'm too paranoid - as soon as I buy a
    > new pump, I'll start getting punctures :)

    oh yeah. great!

    so i buys a new mini-pump. carry it to work once and then take it out on
    a weekend ride and leave it on the roadie. totally forget about it until
    last night and stick it back in my commuting pannier.

    So fate says hello and as Im passing St Pats this morning get what is
    possibly the WORST puncture of all time. A piece of VB stubby-style
    glass so big i thought the beer might still be in it. Rear tyre got a
    cut/slash/chainsaw wound about 3 inches long!!!

    Damn [email protected]@#!#!!!!!!

    (just come back from spoke(n) with nice new Conti TravelContact tho:D )

    PS theys got some very nice and very cheap CIOCC frame/fork combos going
    for the next week or so...

    --

  20. hippy

    hippy Guest

    >Originally posted by flyingdutch A piece of VB stubby-style glass so
    >big i thought the beer might still be in it. Rear tyre got a
    >cut/slash/chainsaw wound >about 3 inches long!!!

    Bummer! You know you can ride "around" things like that? :p <giggles>

    >PS theys got some very nice and very cheap CIOCC frame/fork >combos
    > going for the next week or so...

    I think your version and my version of "cheap" are a little different..
    ;-) How much?

    hippy