Minister for speed cameras admits to having a detector

Peter Fox wrote:
> From the department of you couldn't make it up.
> <http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30187>

Shouldn't that read "Minister for Safety Cameras"?

druidh

Peter Fox wrote:
> From the department of you couldn't make it up.
> <http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30187>

OT.

--
Matt B

In message <[email protected]>, druidh
<[email protected]> writes
>Peter Fox wrote:
>> From the department of you couldn't make it up.
>> <http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30187>

Makes you think, doesn't it? By admitting to having a detector, he's
admitting to needing one, ergo admitting to breaking the law by
speeding. The double standards are staggering, coming from a government
minister responsible for proposing legislation we all have to obey .

As a further thought, GPS detectors cannot be made illegal as they are
knowledge-based, i.e. you cannot ban knowledge (or can you?). Musing
along these lines, where do the databases for these GPS units come from?
Can they be hacked and filled with erroneous data? Could be fun.
--
Bob Downie
Downie GeoScience Ltd.

Dave Larrington wrote:

> That's right, Ladyboy /always/ drives within the speed limit and only
> bought the gadget as he had a gift from Silvio Berlusconi burning a hole
> in his pocket...

I think you'll find the gadget was bought for him by his wife as the
gift was made to her. He himself knew nothing whatsoever about it, and
was not aware she'd suddenly paid off the extra mortgage they'd taken
out 6 weeks previously that he also didn't know about.

--
Dave...

Simon Brooke wrote:

> Drinking a beer once does not make you an alcoholic. Breaking a speed
> limit once /does/ make you a criminal.

True, but you're never going to get the majority of the public to share
that view.

Whatever the law might say, most reasonable people accept that there is
a significant difference between someone doing 55mph through a
residential area passing old folks homes and primary schools, to doing
90mph on a motorway or open road somewhere with little traffic and no
pedestrians.

Laws can only be enforced properly with the consent of the public. The
complete farce of the so-called "war on drugs" is an example of what
happens when authorities try and go against general opinion. The
cycling community's resistance to idiotic "farcilities" is another.

"Bob Downie" <BobMail@downie-geo#n0spam#.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, druidh
> <[email protected]> writes
>>Peter Fox wrote:
>>> From the department of you couldn't make it up.
>>> <http://www.theinquirer.net/?article=30187>

> Makes you think, doesn't it? By admitting to having a detector, he's
> admitting to needing one, ergo admitting to breaking the law by speeding.
> The double standards are staggering, coming from a government minister
> responsible for proposing legislation we all have to obey .
>
> As a further thought, GPS detectors cannot be made illegal as they are
> knowledge-based, i.e. you cannot ban knowledge (or can you?). Musing along
> these lines, where do the databases for these GPS units come from? Can
> they be hacked and filled with erroneous data? Could be fun.
> --

They used to be illegal in Alberta until one of the ministers of the crown
got caught! Then, surprise, surprise:
he stopped the cops from issuing tickets for possession of them.
Graham

mb wrote:

> No. it's not simple.
> You assume he's breaking the law? You're saying he hasn't been caught
> while he's had the detector? How can you then say he's breaking the law?
>
> When you can prove he's, get back to me. This could be a whole new
> system of justice, we just assume people are guilty.

Balance of probabilities. He has admitted to breaking the law by
speeding in an interview with Jeremy Clarkson on Top Gear and he
accumulated 9 points for it. He has admitted he has the speed camera
detector so he can slow down when necessary. What do you think that
means? Why do you think he needs to slow down when his detector tells
him he is approaching a speed camera? If he were within the speed limit
he would not need to slow down.

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

In article <[email protected]>, mb
<[email protected]> writes
>Simon Brooke wrote:
>
>> in message <[email protected]>, mb
>> ('[email protected]') wrote:

>> Drinking a beer once does not make you an alcoholic. Breaking a speed
>> limit once does make you a criminal.

>Hmm, OK what about knives? I've got some big long pointy knives in the
>kitchen, so I must be a murderer?

Kill someone once with it, and, yes.

--
congokid
Eating out in London? Read my tips...

Clive George wrote:

> "mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
> > Oh right. That makes it OK to call him a criminal then.

> Er - we know he's a criminal, he's got the convictions to prove it.

For which I assume he's paid fines and got points.
I meant since he got the thing, which is what we are talking about here.

Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like everybody
who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a few people
here.

--
Mike

"mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Clive George wrote:
>
>> "mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>> > Oh right. That makes it OK to call him a criminal then.

>> Er - we know he's a criminal, he's got the convictions to prove it.
>>

> For which I assume he's paid fines and got points.

Yesss - does that stop him being a criminal? Does being caught and punished
mean he no longer commited the crime?

> I meant since he got the thing, which is what we are talking about here.
>
> Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like everybody
> who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a few people
> here.

Wahey! Stunning swerve there. So now you're not complaining about the bloke
in the subject, you're complaining about something else?

FWIW I think it's probably fair to call everybody who owns such a detector a
criminal - they're motorists after all, and pretty much any motorist has
broken the speed limit.

clive

"mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> See my other post. This doesn't wash. Ownership of such a device
> doesn't mean that it's specifically used for that purpose.

Of course not. He uses it for birdwatching....

Cheers, helen s

mb wrote:
> Clive George wrote:
>
>> "mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>>
>>> Oh right. That makes it OK to call him a criminal then.

>> Er - we know he's a criminal, he's got the convictions to prove it.
>>

> For which I assume he's paid fines and got points.
> I meant since he got the thing, which is what we are talking about
> here.
>
> Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like everybody
> who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a few people
> here.

Do I detect a touch of defensiveness? Are you perhaps an owner of a GPS
based speed camera detector?

--
Ambrose

>Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like everybody
>who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a few people
>here.

Mike,
you've got a detector haven't you?
--
Bob Downie
Downie GeoScience Ltd.
please remove #n0spam# to reply directly

"Bob Downie" <BobMail@downie-geo#n0spam#.co.uk> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> >Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like everybody
>>who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a few people
>>here.
>>

> Mike,
> you've got a detector haven't you?

Perhaps he uses it for birdwatching.

Cheers, helen s

mb wrote:
> Clive George wrote:
>>
>>> Oh right. That makes it OK to call him a criminal then.

>> Er - we know he's a criminal, he's got the convictions to prove it.
>>

> For which I assume he's paid fines and got points.
> I meant since he got the thing, which is what we are talking about here.

Well he does admit he uses it to slow down for speed cameras and there
is no need to slow down unless you are exceeding the speed limit at the time

> Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like everybody
> who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a few people
> here.

No, just those with points on their license for speeding and who have
admitted they need to slow down for speed cameras. Of course if you
don't speed it is a totally redundant piece of equipment.

UR Stephen Ladyman and ICMFP

--
Tony

right."
- Lord Hailsham

Ambrose Nankivell wrote:

> mb wrote:
> > Clive George wrote:
> >
> >>"mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Er - we know he's a criminal, he's got the convictions to prove
> > > it.
> > >

> > For which I assume he's paid fines and got points.
> > I meant since he got the thing, which is what we are talking about
> > here.
> >
> > Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like
> > everybody who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a
> > few people here.

> Do I detect a touch of defensiveness? Are you perhaps an owner of a
> GPS based speed camera detector?

No defensiveness. I don't own and have never owned or used any
radar/camera detector.
I don't have a GPS thingy, I live in Holland FFS. I know where
everything is.

Before you ask, I don't have any points on my licence...

--
Mike

Clive George wrote:

> "mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Clive George wrote:
> >
> >>"mb" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > > news:[email protected]...

> > > Er - we know he's a criminal, he's got the convictions to prove
> > > it.
> > >

> > For which I assume he's paid fines and got points.

> Yesss - does that stop him being a criminal? Does being caught and
> punished mean he no longer commited the crime?
>
> > I meant since he got the thing, which is what we are talking about
> > here.
> >
> > Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like
> > everybody who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a
> > few people here.

> Wahey! Stunning swerve there. So now you're not complaining about the
> bloke in the subject, you're complaining about something else?

What swerve? Unless you're saying that it's only wotsisname that is
likely to break the law by having a detector?

> FWIW I think it's probably fair to call everybody who owns such a
> detector a criminal - they're motorists after all, and pretty much
> any motorist has broken the speed limit.

Well, obviously.

--
Mike

Bob Downie wrote:

> > Also, this isn't just specific to wotsisname. It looks like
> > everybody who owns such a detector is being called a criminal by a
> > few people here.
> >

> Mike,
> you've got a detector haven't you?

See other post, never had one, never used one. Too expensive (make of
that what you will...).

--
Mike