Minneapolis/St. Paul Routes

Joe WW

Aug 10, 2004
Hi - I'm looking for advice on good rides in the Twin Cities area and especially around the southern suburbs. I've found a good 22 to 30 mile circuit that runs from Cliff in Eagan to Rich Valley Road to 145th and then up and down 145th to Rosement and back to 10 (the road that leads to Hastings). Any other suggestions in that general area?

Also, I really want to find a nice flat 3 mile route without stop lights that I can use for a time trial. It seems as if every place I look there are either a ton of stop lights or it is too hilly.

Thanks

Joe

Blackdog road down in the river valley might be a good choice for the TT. I'm not sure if it is 3 miles long but it's close. It runs from 35W to Hwy 77. No stop signs or lights except maybe one next to the power station. As far as other routes... You can do river loops between the bridges. I used to go from the Cedar Ave bridge (hwy 77) up Hwy 13, across the Mendota Bridge through Fort Snelling state park to Post Road through the airport area turn South on um... 34th? (past the Hubert Humphrey terminal), along old Shakopee road and eventually back to Hwy 77. There are more options for this route now because it looks like the bike lane accross the 35E bridge is open now, so you could jump from 13 onto the trail that runs down the bluff into the Lillydale regional park and over the 35E Bridge, back on Shepherd Road, accross the HWY 5 bridge (bike lane there also that you get to after Shepherd road turns into the East River Parkway -- steps lead down to the bridge path -- again through Fort Snelling State Park on the other side of the River and then as before...

Loops around the river are nice even for the next month or so (if we are lucky, into November), Lillydale park is gorgeous in the fall.

Although, looking back on your other route I just noticed these are a little west of where you are. I live in St. Paul and have lots of routes that go from near Lake Phalen out towards Stillwater and back. I also have a decent 25 mile loop through the city itself. If you want more specific info go ahead and e-mail me directly. I've been on my bike in most areas of the metro area and things have only continued to better and better as far as routes go. More off road/seperate trails, more bike lanes on roads. There are LOTS of great rides.

Just had another thought, a good place to start is a book you can find at most bookstores. I think it's called Twin Cities Guide to Bicycling. Not sure where my copy is right now to check it. Many good routes listing in that book with nice maps. It's a full sized 11X8 book with a green and white or blue and white cover.

There's also a TCBC book that has many route maps for mostly the metro area and suburbs, but also other places in Minnesota. Some are a little inaccurate though.

Years ago, I used to take the Rich Valley Road as part of my loop - that was before they paved any of the streets or minor roads. I'd leave Rosemount and take highway 3 north until I hit RVR. Then I'd go to 42 and back to Rosemount.

If you check the Dakota County Parks Department site, you can download some pdf files that show 65 miles worth of trails and routes.

http://www.co.dakota.mn.us/parks/activities/bike.htm

There are also lots of other possibilities at this site:

http://www.harpoval.com/Tcbc/bike.link.htm

As far as the Black Dog site, I think it is around 3 miles or more, and it is flat. It's part of my 14 mile daily ride, and while it is not as smooth as a new parking lot, it will suffice. I've seen one of the cycle clubs holding time trials on the road, so it must be pretty decent for that. It gets some traffic during the rush hour period (4-6), but the motorists have been exceptionally courteous and always give me a wide berth. The parking area is under the Cedar Bridge. There's also a great packed dirt trail that starts there and goes along the river all the way to Mendota Heights.

Good luck finding that perfect route!

Dean

I forgot to mention this one since I haven't checked it out yet - a guy I teach with rides this a lot. He says it's about 30 miles and is a good ride. Apparently, you go down to 160th street (south of Rosemount and Apple Valley) and head East. The road goes all the way through to Hastings. You can take the trail in Hastings down by the river and the locks - he said it was pretty cool. I think most of that ride is also on the Dakota Co. site.

Dean