Mino Auletta named as president of CAS

TheDarkLord

Dec 24, 2007
http://www.velonews.com/article/74117/mino-auletta-named-president-of-cas

The International Council of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) has named Italian Mino Auletta to be its president.

Auletta has been interim president since the death of Judge Kéba Mbaye last January. Mbaye was the president and founder of the organization.

Outspoken Canadian **** Pound, the former president of the World Anti-Doping Agency had been lobbying for the position.

According to a CAS press release, Auletta is an attorney at the Milan High Court and at the Court of Appeal. He is also legal counsel of the International Athletic Foundation in Monaco and was member of the legal commission of the International University Sports Federation (FISU).

Another article focusing more on Pound: http://edition.cnn.com/2008/SPORT/04/03/cas.pound.ap/index.html?eref=rss_latest

GENEVA, Switzerland (AP) -- Former World Anti-Doping Agency chief **** Pound failed on Thursday in his bid to become president of the highest appeals body in international sports.

Pound finished second to Italian lawyer Mino Auletta in the election for president of the Court of Arbitration for Sport.

The Canadian has drawn fire for his outspoken style, and the International Cycling Union announced last month that it was suing him over comments he made about doping in the sport.

Pound declined to comment on the court case on Thursday or say whether it might have undermined his CAS candidacy.

He said he would now focus on his role as a senior member of the International Olympic Committee and of WADA's foundation board.

"I have never had any trouble filling my time," Pound said by telephone after the vote in Monaco.

He will also remain on the governing board of CAS.

"There are a ton of things going on and a ton of issues needing to be resolved," Pound said, adding that it is important for CAS to have among its members people familiar with sports, not just lawyers.

Pound said he would consider running again for the CAS presidency in 2010 if nominated.

<snip>

Check the link for the rest..........

Powerful Pete said:
Well there ya go, there are repercussions for messing with the UCI! :D
I presume we'll see the lawsuit getting quietly dropped now, will we?

micron said:
I presume we'll see the lawsuit getting quietly dropped now, will we?
I don't know, but if I were Pat I would. Whether originally intended or not, he has scored a win...