Minor knee injury, mental anguish! Time for some cross training?

dpr

Feb 12, 2007
Hey all, my doctor has ordered me off my bike for up to a week due to a injury I inflicted upon myself while time trailling on my road bike.

The problem is that I have inflamed the soft tissues/cartelidge around the right front side of my left knee, leading to pain when I move it. The degree of pain has steadily decreased from excruitiating when I got off my bike and could pedal no more, to a now constant ache that should hopefully be hidden by some new more powerful prescribed pain killers I have been given today.

The cause is that I have over-developed my inner quad muscles (especially on my left leg), resulting in my patella being pulled diagonally across the joint with each contraction, wearing on the soft tissues.

This is no where near some of the horror stories I have read here and elsewhere of injuries suffered in crashes, so I know I am getting off lightly.

My current thought as to a prevention of this happening again is some form of cross training. I also need to work on my core strength as well anyway. Can any one field on suggestions on low impact cross training sports / activities I could take up to address these two key areas?

I have been considering: Swimming, Pilates, Kayaking, Rowing and gym based strength training. I dislike using gyms for the cost and I much prefer fresh air, even if its cold and raining.

Any thoughts?

When my knee bothers me I keep riding but avoid L7 and high L6 for at least a month it's a good time to stay in L4 well under the knee pain radar screen but high enough to avoid detraining...I also try to take MSM/HA/Vit C/Calcium citrate at optimal amounts... just my two cents

wiredued said:
When my knee bothers me I keep riding but avoid L7 and high L6 for at least a month it's a good time to stay in L4 well under the knee pain radar screen but high enough to avoid detraining...I also try to take MSM/HA/Vit C/Calcium citrate at optimal amounts... just my two cents
Yes good advice there. It is a killer to be off the bike especially for us active sort:) . But see the positive side it gives you time to re-think and plan ahead. Thats what I do when I am injured. I am sure you will but take it easy when you do hit the streets again take time to build up. In the end it will only make you stronger:) . nath

Don't forget a stretching routine after each ride (warm muscles stretch better). When stretching, don't neglect the less obvious areas: glutes, lateral quad, hip flexors. I started stretching after some minor overuse injuries and the problems never came back.

Having seen my doctor this morning, I can talked to some physio's at a walk in centre. Ive been given some strengthening exercises to follow and advised that I am clear to start swimming right away (gently, no breast stroke). The physio also thought pilates was a good idea.

I now must contact my doctor tommorow to be reffered to a physio for a dedicated consultation at the main local hospital. Apparently I might have to wait a couple of months!

I'll see what my doctor says tommorow and if I face a long wait, I might consult the services of a private physio to help me recuperate and plan my training better.

Slightly on a side note, does any one know of any state provision (In the UK of course) for sport specific coaching for adults? I am not talented so the Olympic team certainly wouldn't have me!
tongue.gif

I probably have been pushing myself too hard. Despite my rubbish bike, I would like to get involved in some racing and time trails. In the week running up to my injury, I had ramped up my mileage and speed. I need a coach.

I hope your "rubbish bike" fits right being able to raise the saddle a small amount without making it more than 2 inches higher than the handlebars can make a big difference to your knees.

dpr said:
Having seen my doctor this morning, I can talked to some physio's at a walk in centre. Ive been given some strengthening exercises to follow and advised that I am clear to start swimming right away (gently, no breast stroke). The physio also thought pilates was a good idea.

I now must contact my doctor tommorow to be reffered to a physio for a dedicated consultation at the main local hospital. Apparently I might have to wait a couple of months!

I'll see what my doctor says tommorow and if I face a long wait, I might consult the services of a private physio to help me recuperate and plan my training better.

Slightly on a side note, does any one know of any state provision (In the UK of course) for sport specific coaching for adults? I am not talented so the Olympic team certainly wouldn't have me!
tongue.gif

I probably have been pushing myself too hard. Despite my rubbish bike, I would like to get involved in some racing and time trails. In the week running up to my injury, I had ramped up my mileage and speed. I need a coach.