Minor triumph

Luna

Guest
Every Sunday my sister and her family come over to our house for a late
lunch. My dad and I usually provide some sort of dessert for them, and
it's not unusual for me to have a little bite. Or two. Or three. Or
sometimes a whole piece of cake. Not every time, but too often. Today,
everyone had left, including my dad, and there was a half a donut left
over. My favorite kind, with the chocolate icing and the cream filling.
No one around to see if I ate it. I threw it away.

Just one half a donut won't make a huge difference in the long run, but as
I've started to realize the last few weeks, every little bit matters.
Every choice can be the beginning of a path. Every bad choice could be
where it all went wrong, and every good choice could be a new beginning
where it all goes right.

--
Michelle Levin
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

In article <[email protected]>,
[email protected] says...
> Every Sunday my sister and her family come over to our house for a late
> lunch. My dad and I usually provide some sort of dessert for them, and
> it's not unusual for me to have a little bite. Or two. Or three. Or
> sometimes a whole piece of cake. Not every time, but too often. Today,
> everyone had left, including my dad, and there was a half a donut left
> over. My favorite kind, with the chocolate icing and the cream filling.
> No one around to see if I ate it. I threw it away.
>
> Just one half a donut won't make a huge difference in the long run, but as
> I've started to realize the last few weeks, every little bit matters.
> Every choice can be the beginning of a path. Every bad choice could be
> where it all went wrong, and every good choice could be a new beginning
> where it all goes right.

Good for you!

--
Saffire
205/147/125 - 5'1.5"

I thought you were going to say you inhaled the donut. Congratz on finding
the willpower.

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Every Sunday my sister and her family come over to our house for a late
> lunch. My dad and I usually provide some sort of dessert for them, and
> it's not unusual for me to have a little bite. Or two. Or three. Or
> sometimes a whole piece of cake. Not every time, but too often. Today,
> everyone had left, including my dad, and there was a half a donut left
> over. My favorite kind, with the chocolate icing and the cream filling.
> No one around to see if I ate it. I threw it away.
>
> Just one half a donut won't make a huge difference in the long run, but as
> I've started to realize the last few weeks, every little bit matters.
> Every choice can be the beginning of a path. Every bad choice could be
> where it all went wrong, and every good choice could be a new beginning
> where it all goes right.
>
> --
> Michelle Levin
> http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
>
> I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

Very minor.

--
You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Every Sunday my sister and her family come over to our house for a late
> lunch. My dad and I usually provide some sort of dessert for them, and
> it's not unusual for me to have a little bite. Or two. Or three. Or
> sometimes a whole piece of cake. Not every time, but too often. Today,
> everyone had left, including my dad, and there was a half a donut left
> over. My favorite kind, with the chocolate icing and the cream filling.
> No one around to see if I ate it. I threw it away.
>
> Just one half a donut won't make a huge difference in the long run, but as
> I've started to realize the last few weeks, every little bit matters.
> Every choice can be the beginning of a path. Every bad choice could be
> where it all went wrong, and every good choice could be a new beginning
> where it all goes right.
>
> --
> Michelle Levin
> http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
>
> I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

well done!!

Luna wrote:
> Every Sunday my sister and her family come over to our house for a late
> lunch. My dad and I usually provide some sort of dessert for them, and
> it's not unusual for me to have a little bite. Or two. Or three. Or
> sometimes a whole piece of cake. Not every time, but too often. Today,
> everyone had left, including my dad, and there was a half a donut left
> over. My favorite kind, with the chocolate icing and the cream filling.
> No one around to see if I ate it. I threw it away.
>
> Just one half a donut won't make a huge difference in the long run, but as
> I've started to realize the last few weeks, every little bit matters.
> Every choice can be the beginning of a path. Every bad choice could be
> where it all went wrong, and every good choice could be a new beginning
> where it all goes right.

A journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step . . .
And every donut not eaten is one step closer to goal.

--
Michelle Levin
http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick

I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

That's true.

--

Eat less, exercise more. -- MFW

--
"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
>A journey of a 1000 miles begins with one step . . .
> And every donut not eaten is one step closer to goal.
>
> In article <[email protected]>,
> "JC Der Koenig" <[email protected]> wrote:
>
>> Very minor.
>>
>> --
>> You take stupid to a new level. -- MFW
>>

>> "Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>> news:[email protected]...
>> > Every Sunday my sister and her family come over to our house for a late
>> > lunch. My dad and I usually provide some sort of dessert for them, and
>> > it's not unusual for me to have a little bite. Or two. Or three. Or
>> > sometimes a whole piece of cake. Not every time, but too often. Today,
>> > everyone had left, including my dad, and there was a half a donut left
>> > over. My favorite kind, with the chocolate icing and the cream
>> > filling.
>> > No one around to see if I ate it. I threw it away.
>> >
>> > Just one half a donut won't make a huge difference in the long run, but
>> > as
>> > I've started to realize the last few weeks, every little bit matters.
>> > Every choice can be the beginning of a path. Every bad choice could be
>> > where it all went wrong, and every good choice could be a new beginning
>> > where it all goes right.
>> >

> --
> Michelle Levin
> http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
>
> I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Every Sunday my sister and her family come over to our house for a late
> lunch. My dad and I usually provide some sort of dessert for them, and
> it's not unusual for me to have a little bite. Or two. Or three. Or
> sometimes a whole piece of cake. Not every time, but too often. Today,
> everyone had left, including my dad, and there was a half a donut left
> over. My favorite kind, with the chocolate icing and the cream filling.
> No one around to see if I ate it. I threw it away.
>
> Just one half a donut won't make a huge difference in the long run, but as
> I've started to realize the last few weeks, every little bit matters.
> Every choice can be the beginning of a path. Every bad choice could be
> where it all went wrong, and every good choice could be a new beginning
> where it all goes right.
>
> --
> Michelle Levin
> http://www.mindspring.com/~lunachick
>
> I have only 3 flaws. My first flaw is thinking that I only have 3 flaws.

I agree with you, Michelle. I am getting away from being that stringent,
though. I might have eaten the half donut, though in fact I never really
cared for donuts.

But I have lost most of the weight that I wanted to lose, and people tell me
I look good now. More importantly, I FEEL good. While I don't go out and
splurge on sugar and starch foods, I do allow them into my diet on occassion
now. Just tonight I was invited to two different parties, one an early
Christmas party and the other a birthday party, and both served food.
Although I concentrated on light helpings of meats, cheeses, and raw
cauliflower and brocolli, there was a pea and cheese dish I sampled, and
also tried a few bites of a chocolate treat.

Eating that half donut today would have had almost no effect on your diet
plan. But if it became a temptation every day, that would be a different
story.

"Luna" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
.. Today,
> everyone had left, including my dad, and there was a half a donut left
> over. My favorite kind, with the chocolate icing and the cream filling.
> No one around to see if I ate it. I threw it away.

Great! Now personally I would have no prob tossing a doughnut, but if it
was like a flakey puff pastery....there could be a tad of white knuckling
there. It doesn't happen much, but once in a while...

> Just one half a donut won't make a huge difference in the long run, but as
> I've started to realize the last few weeks, every little bit matters.
> Every choice can be the beginning of a path. Every bad choice could be
> where it all went wrong, and every good choice could be a new beginning
> where it all goes right.

Very well said. *If* I could have one bite, then walk away, I would have
never been in the posistion to lose weight in the first place.

--
Lisa
208/159.5/145-150

You're right about the every choice being a new beginning. That is a
very strong psychologicial stimulus for eating the right way. Another
one that I find useful, is to remember that each choice has to happen
NOW, at this very instant. You could have eaten that donut, and said
"Well, I will throw the NEXT donut out". Well, you didn't wait till
the next donut, and that is an accomplishemt at well!
Good luck!
Elana

> You're right about the every choice being a new beginning. That is a
> very strong psychologicial stimulus for eating the right way. Another
> one that I find useful, is to remember that each choice has to happen
> NOW, at this very instant. You could have eaten that donut, and said
> "Well, I will throw the NEXT donut out". Well, you didn't wait till
> the next donut, and that is an accomplishemt at well!
> Good luck!
> Elana

Thanks. This philosophy was kind of a revelation for me, in that moment.
I realized that yes, that one half a donut would not matter so much in the
long run. But everyone who fails at a diet and gains the weight back had
to start _somewhere_. I could see myself a few months down the road, back
at 200+ pounds, looking back at that half donut as the beginning of my
downfall. I could also see myself thin and fit, looking back at throwing
away the donut, and seeing that as the beginning of a string of choices
that ends up getting me where I want to be. Every decision is either a step
backward or a step forward. I'm going to apply the same logic to quitting
smoking. If I smoke even one cigarette, it could be the beginning of going
back to 3 packs a day.