Minoritys

TeamPlayers

Oct 10, 2004
Ok this subject may be sensitive to some if you are one of those people go to another thread.

I dont post here much but I do a lot of reading. I am US military stationed overseas Belgium. I have been riding off and on all my life. Im not the best rider in the world but I enjoy riding. I just so happens that I'm Black. I understand that here in Belgium most riders are alittle anti-social, but when I ride and I see other riders most of them never even look my way. My buddy who happens to be white always gets hellos and everything. Now Im not saying that it is cause im black but I just want to get everyones take on the subject. Not just on black riders but any ethnicity for that matter. All opinions are welcome good or bad.

Thanks

I had a black coworker make a comment that a certain group was not diverse.

I'm thinking it was 25% black 25% hispanic and 50% white. Seemed diverse however he saw beyond race. The group was all made up of counselors.

Us whites we don't think about being white that often.

When I was in grade school they asked us what we were.

We said "American"

Ding ding ding wrong answer so the teacher sent us home to ask what we were.

My family was slow to tell me that we were german.

They wanted to just leave it at "American"

When I said I was german there were cracks about me being a Nazi. But I was not the only german.

My personal opinion is that there is just one race. The human race.

Had a friend who put down that he was human for his college scholarship and they data entered him in as hispanic and he got a hispanic scholarship only he wasn't hispanic.

I'm from a small town so I tend to say high to people.

TeamPlayers said:
Ok this subject may be sensitive to some if you are one of those people go to another thread.

I dont post here much but I do a lot of reading. I am US military stationed overseas Belgium. I have been riding off and on all my life. Im not the best rider in the world but I enjoy riding. I just so happens that I'm Black. I understand that here in Belgium most riders are alittle anti-social, but when I ride and I see other riders most of them never even look my way. My buddy who happens to be white always gets hellos and everything. Now Im not saying that it is cause im black but I just want to get everyones take on the subject. Not just on black riders but any ethnicity for that matter. All opinions are welcome good or bad.
Thanks
I doubt it has anything to do with your skin color, perhaps it is your technique? Must be subtle or else people will think "WTF do I know that guy" and not return

FWIW, I am white and I find that many cyclists won't wave or say hello. IMO this is only because: 1) a certain % of people are just pricks 2) cyclists are people... I don't think it is a big deal if you don't go out of your way to wave/nod/etc. and niether does the other guy, but often when you do it, it is not returned correct? There are several types of cyclists that I find seem to do this the most: 1) the posuer with the full Postal Kit 2) the guy that always rides by himself and has some elitist ideal of himself, these guys will never say hi especially if you reel them in and pass with a freindly "hey hows it going" 3) the guy that lost his license for DWI and is riding his bike to work

I see your point but. I dont go out of my to say hello. All I give is a simple nod of the head mind my own business. Im just trying to make some new riding partners. I hate riding by myself. I dont push as hard when im by myself. I know it is mainly cause of the language barrier. But im trying to be friendly.

Road cyclist are a notoriously aloof bunch. I'm a slower than average Roadie very involved in promoting cycling in the Nashville, TN area. After a recent 40 mile ride about the rural contryside I noted to my local bike shop proprieter that when I waved hello, all the kids in their yards waved back, all the old folks on their porches waved back, even most of the good old boys in their pickups waved, but not a damn one of the seven cyclist I met acknowleged my presence in any way. I'm whatever you consider a pretty tanned Scotch, French, Welsh, and Cherokee but generally pass for white. You may well be experiencing racism. Some cultures don't ever regard it a flaw. I would not judge the society as a whole by the behavior of its cyclists. There are many good reasons why we do most of our riding solo but it is beyond me why we can't be nicer to each other.

If the other cyclists wave at your white friend but not you, it sure sounds like racism. Or it could be that you're not wearing the appropriate jersey or riding the right type of bike.
Where I live, it seems that the folks riding carbon fiber bikes or wearing cycling jerseys are less likely to nod or wave to other riders. And if they're riding CF AND wearing a jersey, other riders don't even exist! ;)

I'm sorry if all of this hurts your feelings in some way, but as I'm sure you're already aware biggots come in all shapes,sizes,sexes,nationalities,economic levels..................................................................................................................................ages, educational levels,races,...............................................................................
Just think, they've missed out on an opportunity to know you.

TeamPlayers said:

Thanks
Why don't you try to wave at them yourself if they don't? If the mountain doesn't come to you, you have to go to it my friend. But you shouldn't worry really, if they're racist, it's their loss that they're missing on so many interesting people in this world.