Minoura 1200 vs 500

NSM3

Nov 10, 2004
Hi, my first post here, so no derogatory remarks please if this post seems a little pointless!

I have had a Minoura 500 (remote) for a few weeks now and I am enjoying the ability to train after work, without getting a good soaking. I don't mind riding at night or even in the cold, but a dark/cold/wet night seems more than I can stand to bear during the week.

I have the opportunity to sell the 500 for pretty much what I paid for it and wondered if it was worth upgrading to the 1200 for an additional £30 or so?

Anyone used both and can you tell the difference?

Having used the above for a few weeks now, I have noticed a fair amount of clicking/creaking coming from around my bottom bracket area (on the bike - not me!!), which is worse when I lean on the bars or the front of the top tube and stops if I lean on the back of the top tube.

I have run the hex wrench around the crank arms, pedals and chain rings but am a little concerned that the noise is coming from the frame, although this part of the bike is designed to flex under load (isn't it?).

Do these clamp at the rear trainers cause any frame damage or am I being paranoid?

NSM3 said:
Hi, my first post here, so no derogatory remarks please if this post seems a little pointless!

I have had a Minoura 500 (remote) for a few weeks now and I am enjoying the ability to train after work, without getting a good soaking. I don't mind riding at night or even in the cold, but a dark/cold/wet night seems more than I can stand to bear during the week.

I have the opportunity to sell the 500 for pretty much what I paid for it and wondered if it was worth upgrading to the 1200 for an additional £30 or so?

Anyone used both and can you tell the difference?
I can answer my own post having made the swap. The heavier flywheel/roller does seem to make the pedalling slightly "smoother" and the wheel "run on" when you stop pedalling is longer (obvious really?).

The quick release mechanism is good, allowing you to have the same tyre/roller contact pressure every time and it is nice to be able to centre the wheel on the roller (the 500 pushes the wheel over to one side).

Worth the extra money? I'm not sure that the overall workout is any better (which is the most important issue) so I would suggest that the 500 is good enough at this level of trainer.