Minoura Mag Trainers

Chris

Guest
Has any one had any problems with these trainers?

My HyperRim has decided to go south for the winter on me.

I jumped on last night psyching myself up for a 90 minute session working up through the gears to
warm up. When I got to 3rd gear rear cog on my MTB I picked up the pace a little and all of a sudden
I lost all resistance and the unit started making a rattling sound like a bearing rolling around in
a tin cup. So I stopped, got off the bike, kneeled down next to the unit and started turning the
pedals by hand hoping to get a better idea of where the noise was coming from. It turns out that the
problem only arises at mid-high revs.

So off with the remote cover. All looks as it should. The shaft is not sloppy at all but the
aluminium rotor between the 2 magnets is loose. When I say loose I mean that I can hold the rotor
with 1 hand and turn the pulley/belt and rotate the shaft inside the rotor.

My question is should this be possible or should the aluminium rotor/s be bolted tightly to the
shaft with no slippage? I'm hessitant to tighten the nut at this stage because the washers clamping
the rotors together look to be made of a similar material to brake pads. I'm thinking that they may
act as a clutch of sorts which would mean that the nut needs to be torqued to a particular setting.
However the nut isn't a locking type and it's possible that it has come a little loose which would
explain the slippage.

While I am at it, does anyone know where I can find instructions on how to remove the remote? I
leave it in its hardest setting and use the gears on the bike to vary the resistance.

"Chris" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Has any one had any problems with these trainers?

I tore the hub away from the rubber, rim-contacting wheel on a new one - got a replacement unit from
the store. No problems like you describe though.

Reminds me.. I just completed a similar destruction to my commuter's rear wheel.. jumping off from
the lights, it went BANG! and countless spokes were no longer connecting the rim to the hub. Riding
a little bit further, I then blew the side out of the tyre! :-(

hip