Minoura RDA-850 turbo trainer

Discussion in 'UK and Europe' started by Mark, Jun 19, 2003.

  1. Mark

    Mark Guest

    Anyone got one of these? It's the one which runs on the rim, not the tyre.

    I set mine up yesterday & it seems to be making a lot of noise when I use
    it. I borrowed a similar one from a friend and it was far quieter.

    Thanks,

    Mark

    Tags:

  2. Jim Price

    Jim Price Guest

    Mark wrote:
    > Anyone got one of these? It's the one which runs on the rim, not the tyre.
    >
    > I set mine up yesterday & it seems to be making a lot of noise when I use
    > it. I borrowed a similar one from a friend and it was far quieter.

    Two things seem to make a big difference with this trainer. One is how tight you do up the clamps.
    Initially, I didn't do mine up tight enough, until I saw a mate of mine do his up until there was a
    visible flex in the frame (the instructions seem to suggest its not a good idea to overtighten, but
    give no clue as to what overtightened actually is!). The other thing I noticed is that you get a lot
    of vibration at low speeds and until the thing warms up, so now I run it in the highest gear
    available, warm up for a few minutes, and then get it up to a speed where the vibration starts to
    subside. You can feel this through the saddle.

    And don't forget to release the rim rollers when you finish your training session, or they get
    flat spots.

    Bizarrely, there does not seem to be enough resistance on this model when used with mountain bike
    gearing, even though the design has obviously been aimed at the mountain biker.

    --
    Jim Price

    http://www.jimprice.dsl.pipex.com

    Aye!.

  3. Mark

    Mark Guest

    > Two things seem to make a big difference with this trainer. One is how tight you do up the clamps.
    > Initially, I didn't do mine up tight enough, until I saw a mate of mine do his up until there was
    > a visible flex in the frame (the instructions seem to suggest its not a good idea to overtighten,
    > but give no clue as to what overtightened actually is!). The other thing I noticed is that you get
    > a lot of vibration at low speeds and until the thing warms up, so now I run it in the highest gear
    > available, warm up for a few minutes, and then get it up to a speed where the vibration starts to
    > subside. You can feel this through the saddle.

    Thanks for the thoughts. I'll try that and see what happens.

    Mark