minus 5 this morning

Davep

Guest
Today the shed thermometer was showing -5. I think thats
the coldest day so far this year in SW London.
I needed the windstopper jacket on the commute as my arms would have
felt a bit cold
( long sleeved base layer and jersey plus gilet ) but the silk inners,
gore liners and
gore main gloves didn't stop the ends of my fingers getting cold.
Does anyone have any of these? The review seems pretty good.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360009678

davep

"davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Today the shed thermometer was showing -5. I think thats the coldest day so far this year in SW
> London. I needed the windstopper jacket on the commute as my arms would have felt a bit cold (
> long sleeved base layer and jersey plus gilet ) but the silk inners, gore liners and gore main
> gloves didn't stop the ends of my fingers getting cold. Does anyone have any of these? The review
> seems pretty good. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360009678

It was -5 when I cycled home last night. I had the Gore Windstopper T shirt on,
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428

plus a Gore Future jersey http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428

and the Gore Sprinter jacket (2002).

I've just received the Gore X-Lite jacket (under 40 quid)
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428 but it looks too thin for this weather, I'll wait
until the spring to wear
it.

I've not got any Gore gloves yet, I use these Gill ones.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428 but I wouldn't recommend them as I put them in the
washer and the inner came out and it was the devil's own job to get all the fingers back in.

Originally posted by Davep
Today the shed thermometer was showing -5. I think thats
the coldest day so far this year in SW London.
I needed the windstopper jacket on the commute as my arms would have
felt a bit cold
( long sleeved base layer and jersey plus gilet ) but the silk inners,
gore liners and
gore main gloves didn't stop the ends of my fingers getting cold.
Does anyone have any of these? The review seems pretty good.
http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360009678

davep

I just use some thinsulate gloves on with an extra large pair of cheap cycling mitts over the top - works for me. On cold rides through I always try and keep my hands moving on the bars, being static for too long results in numbness creeping in.

I quite enjoy cycling in the cold (as long as it's dry).

I've got an Endura WindTex jacket, I wear this over my Canondale fleece, which is worn over a Lowe Alpine base layer - keeps me nice and toasty :D

Simon Mason wrote:

> "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Today the shed thermometer was showing -5. I think thats the coldest day so far this year in SW
> > London. I needed the windstopper jacket on the commute as my arms would have felt a bit cold (
> > long sleeved base layer and jersey plus gilet ) but the silk inners, gore liners and gore main
> > gloves didn't stop the ends of my fingers getting cold. Does anyone have any of these? The
> > review seems pretty good. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360009678
>
> It was -5 when I cycled home last night. I had the Gore Windstopper T shirt on,
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428

thats the jacket :)

> plus a Gore Future jersey http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428

so's that :)

> and the Gore Sprinter jacket (2002).
>
> I've just received the Gore X-Lite jacket (under 40 quid)
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428 but it looks too thin for this weather, I'll wait
> until the spring to wear
> it.

nice jacket. Looks like the Hind I've seen in an Action Bikes shop here in London.

> I've not got any Gore gloves yet, I use these Gill ones.
> http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428

another link to the jacket :)

> but I wouldn't recommend them as I put them in the washer and the inner came out and it was the
> devil's own job to get all the fingers back in.

I dont wash my gloves , only the liners

McBain_v1 wrote:

> Davep wrote:
> > Today the shed thermometer was showing -5. I think thats the coldest day so far this year in
> > SW London. I needed the windstopper jacket on the commute as my arms would have felt a bit
> > cold ( long sleeved base layer and jersey plus gilet ) but the silk inners, gore liners and
> > gore main gloves didn't stop the ends of my fingers getting cold. Does anyone have any of
> > these? The review seems pretty good. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?Pr-
> > oductID=5360009678http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360009678 davep
>
> I just use some thinsulate gloves on with an extra large pair of cheap cycling mitts over the top
> - works for me. On cold rides through I always try and keep my hands moving on the bars, being
> static for too long results in numbness creeping in.

yep, I did that on the return journey today. The fingers were a lot less cold

> I quite enjoy cycling in the cold (as long as it's dry).

both journeys were really nice today. Cold but not too uncomortable.

> I've got an Endura WindTex jacket, I wear this over my Canondale fleece, which is worn over a Lowe
> Alpine base layer - keeps me nice and toasty :D
>
> --

I kept on my Lusso Windstopper for thewhole of the return journey, unzipping when it got too hot

davep

I kept on my Lusso Windstopper for thewhole of the return journey, unzipping when it got too hot
davep

It's a bit too snowy outside at the moment for my 23mm slicks. If I had a mountain bike I might give a ride a whirl, but not my road bike. Yes, I'd be plenty warm, but I'd also be plenty worried about cornering and treacherous traction :(

davep wrote:

> Action Bikes

Can you mind your language please. This is a family newsgroup. :)

~PB

> > I kept on my Lusso Windstopper for thewhole of the return journey, unzipping when it got too
> > hot davep
>

>It's a bit too snowy outside at the moment for my 23mm slicks. If I had a mountain bike I might
>give a ride a whirl, but not my road bike. Yes, I'd be plenty warm, but I'd also be plenty worried
>about cornering and treacherous traction :(

AS usual here in Norfolk, a couple of inches of snow causes the county to grind to a halt with over
300 schools being closed (Bah!), including Nathan's school. However, prior to settling down to do
some revision for his GCSEs, he popped round to see our neighbour who owns the field at the back of
our place. Said neighbour is a good neighbour (having had truly grotty neighbours in the past, I
appreciate the good ones we have now). I then saw Nathan on his mountain bike having a good time
cycling in the snow on his MTB :) He's now back in, showered and settled down to the boring business
of revision.

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

Originally posted by Dirtylitterboxo
AS usual here in Norfolk, a couple of inches of snow causes the county to grind to a halt with over 300 schools being closed (Bah!), including Nathan's school. However, prior to settling down to do some revision for his GCSEs, he popped round to see our neighbour who owns the field at the back of our place. Said neighbour is a good neighbour (having had truly grotty neighbours in the past, I appreciate the good ones we have now). I then saw Nathan on his mountain bike having a good time
cycling in the snow on his MTB :) He's now back in, showered and settled down to the boring business of revision.

Cheers, helen s

Neighbours - you can't pick 'em, but you have to treasure the good ones.

GCSE revision - that brings back some sad memories (18 year old ones). As for getting out on the MTB - why weren't you with him :confused:

>As for getting out on the MTB - why weren't you with him :confused:

No room for me on the crossbar.

Cheers, helen s

fortune h*$el*$$e**nd***$o$ts***i*$*$m**m$$o*n**s@$*$a$$o**l.c**$*$om$$

"davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> Simon Mason wrote:
>
> > "davep" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Today the shed thermometer was showing -5. I think thats the coldest day so far this year in
> > > SW London. I needed the windstopper jacket on the commute as my arms would have felt a bit
> > > cold ( long sleeved base layer and jersey plus gilet ) but the silk inners, gore liners and
> > > gore main gloves didn't stop the ends of my fingers getting cold. Does anyone have any of
> > > these? The review seems pretty good. http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360009678
> >
> > It was -5 when I cycled home last night. I had the Gore Windstopper T
shirt
> > on, http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5300006428
>
> thats the jacket :)

Sorry, my copy and paste must have gone awry!

Simon