MIRACLE IN A BOTTLE, or merely marketing, a must read

markd

Guest
This is a very well written and balanced overview of the supplement biz, it's history, legal and
commercial and medical reality, and what to consider when deciding to use them. There are things
which can help various disorders, the current problem is that there is no way to know when you pick
that "MIRACLE IN A BOTTLE" off the shelf if it contains what is on the label, if it works, and if it
is safe; it is a pig in a poke; not to mention all the hucksters on radio/tv and the internet/spam
and local "doctors" of various self defined experience and knowledge. Using net search engines which
cover the biomedical research, one can know independently if the stuff works; knowing what is realy
in the bottle is still a pig in a poke. Several examples of testing contents come up again and again
with poor to down right frauds in bottle contents. The worst of all are the out right snake oil
salesmen the likes of sea silver etc. who use the poorly written law to simply be crooks and theives
on the backs of people with health concerns; or those the hucksters create for them in their minds.

http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040202fa_fact

It not the lack of laws. It is the lack of funds to implement the laws and regulations that
are already available to the USFDA. It costs money to check potency so the FDA doesn't for the
most part.

Clearly Mark De Toad has never met a restriction or prohibition, he didn't like. Sure there are
huckster's so what. The price of freedom in any topic is a measure of foolishness as defined by
either reality or some controlling ******* through self centered ego or greed. The big med companies
have done there share of stupidity and greed.. Dolobid is an example of truly asinine medication. Or
consider the poorly formulated HRT regimens marketed by the big med companies. The FDA is a much of
a problem as is it a help. They are part of the problem with HRT. Of course, one has to actually
looked at the science and think about it. Rather than just listening to the drug reps or recalling
obsolete course work or reading the moron press articles.

That "poorly written law" is one of the better laws on the books.

This is just his standard whine. His vision is twisted and his rhetoric is honed. His posting
is a repeat.

Perhaps, he assumes everyone is as stupid as he is.

(tongue firmly in cheek) Outlaw patents on drugs, seize the big med corporations, put the profits
into research that is directed by publicly elected boards. Prohibit congress or the executive both
federal and state levels from meddling on penalty of death. .........it won't happen until the
revolution....... I dream, I know.......it would be fun to see the Toad's face if this did happen.

The Toad trolls so I troll...........William A. Noyes

> This is a very well written and balanced overview of the supplement biz, it's history, legal and
> commercial and medical reality, and what to consider when deciding to use them. There are things
> which can help various disorders, the current problem is that there is no way to know when you
> pick that "MIRACLE IN A BOTTLE" off the shelf if it contains what is on the label, if it works,
> and if it is safe; it is a pig in a poke; not to mention all the hucksters on radio/tv and the
> internet/spam and local "doctors" of various self defined experience and knowledge. Using net
> search engines which cover the biomedical research, one can know independently if the stuff works;
> knowing what is realy in the bottle is still a pig in a poke. Several examples of testing contents
> come up again and again with poor to down right frauds in bottle contents. The worst of all are
> the out right snake oil salesmen the likes of sea silver etc. who use the poorly written law to
> simply be crooks and theives on the backs of people with health concerns; or those the hucksters
> create for them in their minds.
>
> http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040202fa_fact

A couple of questions, do you have any part of your income originate somehow with the suppliment
biz? Did you read the article and is there any part of it you can provide support finding it
invalid? Exactly what can be enforced when the law doesn't require the label to reflect actual
contents, or it does what is claimed, or it is safe? As written, complaints must be made to the FDA
before they will look at a product and do anything about it, we are the experimental rats, such as
in the recent diet pills now banned, see article, which caused multiple deaths and damage. Every
sale makes a potential sucker of a consumer because the law is as far from allowing an informed
consumer as is possible, whats in the bottle, does it work as research can support, will it cause
harm to me or my family? There is no way to make an informed choice such as one can do even with a
simple bottle of aspirin. In the mean time, the hucksters can, and do, make all manner of claims
almost without any restraint, as the article shows, just make the language clever to skirt even the
very weak directives the law provides. Don't say it cures cancer, just say it is said by some people
to improve your immune system to fight cancer. Now it is the wild west, common sucker, gives your
money and takes your chance with this mircle in this bottle. You believe me don't you, cause i'm
telling ya this is the best stuff your money can buy, you believe me don't ya sucker? Just require
even the simple requirements for over the counter stuff, such as aspirin, which will clean up this
biz real fast. No need to do what is required for perscription meds.

>It not the lack of laws. It is the lack of funds to implement the laws and regulations that
>are already available to the USFDA. It costs money to check potency so the FDA doesn't for the
>most part.
>
>Clearly Mark De Toad has never met a restriction or prohibition, he didn't like. Sure there are
>huckster's so what. The price of freedom in any topic is a measure of foolishness as defined by
>either reality or some controlling ******* through self centered ego or greed. The big med
>companies have done there share of stupidity and greed.. Dolobid is an example of truly asinine
>medication. Or consider the poorly formulated HRT regimens marketed by the big med companies. The
>FDA is a much of a problem as is it a help. They are part of the problem with HRT. Of course, one
>has to actually looked at the science and think about it. Rather than just listening to the drug
>reps or recalling obsolete course work or reading the moron press articles.
>
>That "poorly written law" is one of the better laws on the books.
>
>This is just his standard whine. His vision is twisted and his rhetoric is honed. His posting is
>a repeat.
>
>Perhaps, he assumes everyone is as stupid as he is.
>
>(tongue firmly in cheek) Outlaw patents on drugs, seize the big med corporations, put the profits
>into research that is directed by publicly elected boards. Prohibit congress or the executive both
>federal and state levels from meddling on penalty of death. .........it won't happen until the
>revolution....... I dream, I know.......it would be fun to see the Toad's face if this did happen.
>
>The Toad trolls so I troll...........William A. Noyes
>

><[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
>> This is a very well written and balanced overview of the supplement biz, it's history, legal and
>> commercial and medical reality, and what to consider when deciding to use them. There are things
>> which can help various disorders, the current problem is that there is no way to know when you
>> pick that "MIRACLE IN A BOTTLE" off the shelf if it contains what is on the label, if it works,
>> and if it is safe; it is a pig in a poke; not to mention all the hucksters on radio/tv and the
>> internet/spam and local "doctors" of various self defined experience and knowledge. Using net
>> search engines which cover the biomedical research, one can know independently if the stuff
>> works; knowing what is realy in the bottle is still a pig in a poke. Several examples of testing
>> contents come up again and again with poor to down right frauds in bottle contents. The worst of
>> all are the out right snake oil salesmen the likes of sea silver etc. who use the poorly written
>> law to simply be crooks and theives on the backs of people with health concerns; or those the
>> hucksters create for them in their minds.
>>
>> http://www.newyorker.com/fact/content/?040202fa_fact

"William A. Noyes" <[email protected]> wrote in
news:[email protected]:

> It not the lack of laws. It is the lack of funds to implement the laws and regulations that
> are already available to the USFDA. It costs money to check potency so the FDA doesn't for the
> most part.

********. The reason the FDA doesn't check potency of dietary supplements is that the DSHEA doesn't
allow them to do anything with the results. The DSHEA prohibits the FDA from taking any action
other than banning a supplement altogether if they can show heavy proof that the supplement is
actually harmful.