"Mirefois"? Spelling query

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by Alan, Apr 10, 2005.

  1. Alan

    Alan Guest

    What is the correct spelling of this word? It's one I hear on the
    television from time to time, used to describe a base of (typically)
    onions, carrots & celery, sweated gently. I've never seen it in
    writing so I've no idea how to spell it. The above spelling produced
    just one food-related reference on Google, so I don't think it's
    correct; but no other spelling that I could think of showed up at all!

    Thanks,
    KF

    Tags:

  2. Peter Aitken

    Peter Aitken Guest

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the correct spelling of this word? It's one I hear on the
    > television from time to time, used to describe a base of (typically)
    > onions, carrots & celery, sweated gently. I've never seen it in
    > writing so I've no idea how to spell it. The above spelling produced
    > just one food-related reference on Google, so I don't think it's
    > correct; but no other spelling that I could think of showed up at all!
    >

    > Thanks,
    > KF

    It is mirepoix. It is traditionally 1/2 onion, 1/4 each carrot and celery.

  3. Bronwyn

    Bronwyn Guest

    mirepoix is the correct spelling.

  4. L, not -L

    L, not -L Guest

    On 10-Apr-2005, [email protected] (Alan) wrote:

    > What is the correct spelling of this word? It's one I hear on the
    > television from time to time, used to describe a base of (typically)
    > onions, carrots & celery, sweated gently. I've never seen it in
    > writing so I've no idea how to spell it. The above spelling produced
    > just one food-related reference on Google, so I don't think it's
    > correct; but no other spelling that I could think of showed up at all!

    It can be spelled as mirepois or mirepoix
    http://web.foodnetwork.com/food/web/encyclopedia/termdetail/0,,4048,00.html

    A good way to look these things up is on foodnetwork.com, use the search
    topic feature. In this case, a search for mir* brought up a list of topics
    that included the one of interest.

  5. In article <[email protected]>,
    [email protected] (Alan) wrote:

    > What is the correct spelling of this word? It's one I hear on the
    > television from time to time, used to describe a base of (typically)
    > onions, carrots & celery, sweated gently. I've never seen it in
    > writing so I've no idea how to spell it. The above spelling produced
    > just one food-related reference on Google, so I don't think it's
    > correct; but no other spelling that I could think of showed up at all!
    >

    > Thanks,
    > KF

    Try mirepoix.
    --
    -Barb, <http://www.jamlady.eboard.com> Cam Ranh Bay food added 4-8-05.
    Sam I Am! updated 4-9-05.

  6. Alan

    Alan Guest

    Thanks chaps - very helpful, much appreciated.

  7. Nexis

    Nexis Guest

    "Alan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]
    > What is the correct spelling of this word? It's one I hear on the
    > television from time to time, used to describe a base of (typically)
    > onions, carrots & celery, sweated gently. I've never seen it in
    > writing so I've no idea how to spell it. The above spelling produced
    > just one food-related reference on Google, so I don't think it's
    > correct; but no other spelling that I could think of showed up at all!
    >

    > Thanks,
    > KF

    Mirepoix

    kimberly