Mirror Question

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Fraser, Sep 17, 2003.

  1. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    Any EZ Sport owners out there willing to recommend a decent mirror to use on the new toy?

    Picked up the new bike today but the shop really couldn't advise on what brand of mirror to
    use and any they had in stock really didn't look like they'd do the job.

    Any brand names that do a good job on the EZ Sport?

    Tags:

  2. Dh

    Dh Guest

    I can't recommend anything specific, but would advise keeping this in mind ... I passed a recumbent
    yesterday and his mirror stuck out from the side of his bike. If I and were to touch that mirror
    (inadvertently) when passing, I could have caused an accident.

    I would think a mirror that does not extend from the side of the bike or a mirror that mounts to
    your helmet or glasses would be the way to go. My two cents.

  3. "Fraser" skrev...
    > Picked up the new bike today but the shop really couldn't advise on what brand of mirror to use
    > and any they had in stock really didn't look like they'd do the job.
    >
    > Any brand names that do a good job on the EZ Sport?

    Heres a wide selection to look at: http://www.hostelshoppe.com/cgi-bin/search.pl?category=206000

    I use two B&M Cyclestar mirrors on my TE-clone. http://uk.f1.pg.photos.yahoo.com/briangoebbels
    ("Recumbents"-folder has some pics of it with mirrors.)

    Mikael

  4. Cbb

    Cbb Guest

    Mirrorcycle (sp?) works very well with most OSS bents. Hostel shoppe, Performance bike and others
    carry them. This mirror inserts into the end of the handle bars and has several adjustment axis all
    of which can be tightned down with a screw to prevent accidental movements. The only down side is
    that the mirror tends to break easily if you drop the bike on its side.

    Fraser <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Any EZ Sport owners out there willing to recommend a decent mirror to use on the new toy?
    >
    > Picked up the new bike today but the shop really couldn't advise on what brand of mirror to
    > use and any they had in stock really didn't look like they'd do the job.
    >
    > Any brand names that do a good job on the EZ Sport?

  5. Steve Fox

    Steve Fox Guest

    I have a TE. On my trans-Am this spring, I started out with Mirrycles, but they quickly broke. Also
    hard to adjust. Fell in love with the Blackburn bar end mirror (also called Rhode Gear). Easy to
    mount, adjust, and swing out of the way when you need to. No more hex wrenches.

    Steve

    --
    Steve Fox McKinleyville, CA http://members.cox.net/steve.fox

  6. Pjclarkesq

    Pjclarkesq Guest

    I use mirror that attaches to my helmet (or glasses) when I ride my new TE. A lot less vibration and
    I can scan a much wider area with just a slight movement of my head.

  7. Fraser wrote:
    > Any EZ Sport owners out there willing to recommend a decent mirror to use on the new toy?
    >
    > Picked up the new bike today but the shop really couldn't advise on what brand of mirror to
    > use and any they had in stock really didn't look like they'd do the job.
    >
    > Any brand names that do a good job on the EZ Sport?

    Have a look at: http://www.mirrycle.com/ I use a 'mountain mirricle' on my ASS and I'am a satisfied
    customer. For a picture of me, the bike and the mirror have a look at:
    http://rulhm1.leidenuniv.nl/~lprevo/

    --
    reply: to group only
    -<\\\ leendert
    | . @ _ goes by bent \\\/ \_ .
    =|=\x/=|=# gaat per ligfiets
    ____(_)___(_)____________________________ flevobike fifty-fifty

  8. Dipseair

    Dipseair Guest

  9. Tom Thompson

    Tom Thompson Guest

    "Leendert Prevo" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    >> Have a look at:
    > http://www.mirrycle.com/ I use a 'mountain mirricle' on my ASS and I'am a satisfied customer.
    > For a picture of me, the bike and the mirror have a look at:
    > http://rulhm1.leidenuniv.nl/~lprevo/

    I'm far to shy to put a mirror of any type on my ASS. I'm also certain that the view under any
    circumstances would be less than optimal. :cool: That said, the mirrcycle is the best mirror I've ever
    had on handlebars. Unfortunately, mmy favorite bike at the moment is a USS with barcon shiftters, so
    the mirrcycle won't fit.

    Tom Thompson

  10. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    On 17 Sep 2003 05:27:00 -0700, [email protected] (cbb) wrote:

    >Mirrorcycle (sp?) works very well with most OSS bents.

    That's what I ended up going with. It seems to give an excellent view of where I just came
    from . . .

    > The only down side is that the mirror tends to break easily if you drop the bike on its side.

    grin, it's a brand new bike . . . I ain't planning on dropping it anytime soon. (knock on
    wood). And after saying that, I almost gotta wonder if I'm going to take a spill on this
    evenings' ride. You'll hear about it in 3 hours.

  11. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 08:50:51 -0700, Steve Fox <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I have a TE. On my trans-Am this spring, I started out with Mirrycles, but they quickly broke. Also
    >hard to adjust. Fell in love with the Blackburn bar end mirror (also called Rhode Gear). Easy to
    >mount, adjust, and swing out of the way when you need to. No more hex wrenches.

    After asking the question here, I went into the basement and dug out the old box of bike
    parts. Lo and behold, I found an old Rhodes gear mirror, bar end mount. Unfortunately the
    glass was cracked, but I tried it out anyways. It didn't fit worth a hill of beans on my
    handle bars, different size and all but it did give me a starting point.

  12. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    On Wed, 17 Sep 2003 20:58:42 GMT, "pjclarkesq" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I use mirror that attaches to my helmet (or glasses) when I ride my new TE. A lot less vibration
    >and I can scan a much wider area with just a slight movement of my head.

    I tried a mirror for the arm of my glasses but found the viewing area to small, and being of
    an extremely lazy nature, I got ticked off having to align the mirror every time I went for
    a ride. It might have been that I bought one of the least expensive brands to try, but
    decided on the bar end mirricycle.

    Thanks for the advice though . . .

  13. Dave Clary

    Dave Clary Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:24:30 GMT, Fraser <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I tried a mirror for the arm of my glasses but found the viewing area to small,

    Then you aren't using it correctly. You can't adjust it like a car's rear view mirror. You adjust it
    so that you see just outside your ear and then simply turn your head a tiny amount to scan a large
    area behind you.

    Here's my favorite:

    http://www.pacelineproducts.com/menu_pages/products/tkealook.htm

    Dave Clary/Corpus Christi, Tx Home: http://home.stx.rr.com/dclary RSG Roll Call
    http://www.rec-sport-golf.com/members/?rollcall=claryd

  14. Mark Stonich

    Mark Stonich Guest

    "Tom Thompson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:

    > That said, the mirrcycle is the best mirror I've ever had on handlebars. Unfortunately, mmy
    > favorite bike at the moment is a USS with barcon shiftters, so the mirrcycle won't fit.

    I modify Mirrycle mirrors for mounting with a clamp. Calhoun Cycle sells them.
    http://calhouncycle.com/evolutionmirror.html shows a photo of one on a Vision

  15. Rick Moll

    Rick Moll Guest

    Dave Clary wrote:
    > On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 01:24:30 GMT, Fraser <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > ... You can't adjust it like a car's rear view mirror. You adjust it so that you see just outside
    > your ear and then simply turn your head a tiny amount to scan a large area behind you.
    >
    > Here's my favorite:
    >
    > http://www.pacelineproducts.com/menu_pages/products/tkealook.htm

    I'll second that. The "Take A Look" mirror is great. I tried a cheaper glasses mounted mirror but it
    was constantly getting knocked out of adjustment. The "Take A Look" holds up well, stays adjusted
    and it's simply wonderful to be able to scan the whole area behind you.

    Rick Moll

  16. Fraser

    Fraser Guest

    On Mon, 22 Sep 2003 15:21:12 GMT, Rick Moll <[email protected]> wrote:

    > The "Take A Look" mirror is great. I tried a cheaper glasses mounted mirror but it was constantly
    > getting knocked out of adjustment. The "Take A Look" holds up well, stays adjusted and it's simply
    > wonderful to be able to scan the whole area behind you.

    Then I'd guess the pair I bought belong to the cheaper category. I had a heck of time with
    them. Perhaps I'll give them another try once I break what I have now.

    Thanks for the input . .

  17. Anonymous

    Anonymous Guest

    What if the recumbent rider is blind in the right eye like I am. The only place I've fornt a mirror
    useful is by my left hand stiking out so I can see on coming traffic.

    BTW, don't ride that close, it's not safe.

  18. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > What if the recumbent rider is blind in the right eye like I am. The only place I've fornt a
    > mirror useful is by my left hand stiking out so I can see on coming traffic.
    >
    > BTW, don't ride that close, it's not safe.

    A helmet mirror mounted in the usual place (in the US) on the left side for the left eye, would
    probably afford better rear visibility for a cyclist that has only vision in one eye.

    I know of one cyclist that has no use of the left eye and has a mirror mounted on the right side of
    the helmet which when he turns his head permits a wide view of traffic behind.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -