mirror

alienator said:
As we drift off topic, I think better enforcement of traffic laws for all users is needed, but that's only part of the solution. Better drivers' education is needed. Cyclists are in an odd spot, we're about the only road users that don't require and licensing or specific training/education to be on the road. Frankly, that shows in a lot of riders, a surprisingly high number of riders.

I agree with the education/training part, and did not mention it explicitly because I see it as a part of "tougher standards". Extensive education and training should go into getting the license, and there should be an on-going education process required for keeping the license. Something like a half-day mandatory refresher class when renewing a license every N number of years can be helpful. They do something similar to this in Japan, and I have found it to be effective in raising my own awareness.

I would not be against seeing a similar requirement for cycling on the road. My guess is that a lot of people would benefit from a basic video, showing examples of good and bad cycling habits, common mistakes, common accidents, testimonies from people who learned from some experience, explanations of the laws/regulations, etc.

Anyway, yes, this is off-topic. Back to mirrors.

Rode a long time with a helmet mirror...dipping into racing and had to strip the mirror and must admit that while I don't miss it all the time, I really miss it some of the time. "Lose sight, lose the fight" is commonplace in air to air battles and situational awareness (SA) comes from many inputs; learning what information to process and when is key to knowing if your next move could be fatal.

Can't say that a glance over my shoulder is as 'efficient' as an eye movement to my mirror. Will probably go back to training with a mirror and deal with the muscle memory glance I always do b/f I remember that I don't have a mirror.

Anything benefitting SA at minimal expense is a bonus in my book.

alienator said:
I think it's hilarious that Heinz Stucke considers mirrors a necessity but doens't always wear a helmet. I guess he's not aware that there are likely helmets out there that would fit him properly and not give him a headache.

I totally agree with this Heinz. I never wear a helmet but can't imagine touring without a mirror. It's called prevention. Cat Eye. No idea what name but very flexible and simple.

I just love the wind in my hair (although it is not much) and have been enjoying this for more than fifteen years travelling on a bicycle.

osmosno

Sebastian Wever said:
I totally agree with this Heinz. I never wear a helmet but can't imagine touring without a mirror. It's called prevention. Cat Eye. No idea what name but very flexible and simple.

I just love the wind in my hair (although it is not much) and have been enjoying this for more than fifteen years travelling on a bicycle.

osmosno
I agree with Heinz about the mirror. I use one now that I don't compete. I don't agree on the helmet. I rode for 39 years without one and then one day I realized that I was tempting fate. I got one and have gotten real religious about wearing one, especially after getting whapped in the head by a low hanging tree branch that I did not see.

As for enlarging a riders sphere of awareness, I find that a small honk on the horn lets riders know that I am there and getting ready to pass them if conditions allow it to be done safely. I find that as a rider, I tend to be much more courteous to other riders when I am driving than I am to the idiots who run in the road instead of the sidewalk because "asphalt is springier than concrete".

kdelong said:
I agree with Heinz about the mirror. I use one now that I don't compete. I don't agree on the helmet. I rode for 39 years without one and then one day I realized that I was tempting fate. I got one and have gotten real religious about wearing one, especially after getting whapped in the head by a low hanging tree branch that I did not see.

As for enlarging a riders sphere of awareness, I find that a small honk on the horn lets riders know that I am there and getting ready to pass them if conditions allow it to be done safely. I find that as a rider, I tend to be much more courteous to other riders when I am driving than I am to the idiots who run in the road instead of the sidewalk because "asphalt is springier than concrete".

Courtesy breeds more courtesy. That's the approach I take when riding. When on tight roads with little shoulders, I try to wave cars by so as not to hold them up and to say, "I don't mind you passing me." Whenever a car/driver yields to me, I give a give 'em a wave and a smile. When riding through road construction where passing isn't an option, I'll actually get up and sprint so driver's don't feel like I was hogging the lane. I don't blow stop signs and lights. I follow the rules the drivers have to follow hoping that'll make 'em realize not all cyclists are a$$hats. Everyday of the week I'll promote good will between us and drivers, hoping to gain acceptance by drivers as well their courtesy. Likewise, I always give an "on your right" to cyclists I'm about to pass, unlike the guy on the time trial rig, Saturday, that gave me all of about 6" as he passed me without uttering a word. I give a wave to riders going the other way, when it's safe for me to do so, and it's quite easy to get into a short conversation with another rider enjoying their day out on their bike. I also don't judge anybody by what they ride, whether it as two wheels, three wheels, and/or a reclined sitting position. I certainly don't judge people about their speed or whether or not they're hardcore. You know, it's not like I can know what the rider's plan on his bike is for the day, whether he's riding slowly, riding fast, or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, they're just out having fun. I couldn't care less whether I pass them, or they pass me. Such petty judgments by small minded riders only serve kill a nice buzz form bike riding.

All in all, I think the number of a$$hats in cars and on bikes is very small compared to the total number of drivers and of cyclists.

While I'm at it.....
.....Granted, I pretty much think that Bicycling Magazine is a waste of a perfectly good tree. That said, http://bicycling.com/blogs/sittingin/2010/02/19/the-passion-of-the-twerps/]here is an article, uhm , a blog entry to be exact, by Bill Strickland re: bicycling twerps. It really hits the spot.

vspa said:
check out the video on this thread
http://www.cyclingforums.com/touring-recreational-cycling/473646-%2A%2A%2A-2000-miles-touring-france-video-%2A%2A%2A.html
the guy uses a mirror installed on the handle bar bottom end
it looks quite useful, gives a decent sight of his friend riding on the back

Very useful indeed when you are travelling together. I use a Cat Eye mirror. Cateye - Mirrors - Bm-300g
Very good, doesn't break even when bike falls down on it. Simple and cheap but best.

osmosno

alienator said:
Courtesy breeds more courtesy. That's the approach I take when riding.
All in all, I think the number of a$$hats in cars and on bikes is very small compared to the total number of drivers and of cyclists.

High-five.That is an awesome approach to road cycling and I follow it as well, i always wave at cars who yield to me at junctions. Although i couldn't help cursing at a driver who almost ran me over at a zebra-crossing, cos he was too busy smoking. But yeah, a wave and a smile improves your ride dramatically, cos everyone is happy.

I do use my Cat-Eye Bm-500g which i find real stylish and useful.

Well basically what i would like to say is a mirror is a part of your bicycle to make your ride easier, what you do as a cyclist on the road makes up the most part of a good journey.

alienator said:
.....Granted, I pretty much think that Bicycling Magazine is a waste of a perfectly good tree. That said, here is an article]| Sitting In, uhm , a blog entry to be exact, by Bill Strickland re: bicycling twerps. It really hits the spot.

Enjoyed reading this. Definitely resonated from several different points of view.

alienator said:
While I'm at it.....
.....Granted, I pretty much think that Bicycling Magazine is a waste of a perfectly good tree. That said, here is an article]| Sitting In, uhm , a blog entry to be exact, by Bill Strickland re: bicycling twerps. It really hits the spot.

Hey Alienator,

I really resent that: You're jumping to the conclusion that we're wasting the good trees.

Bill S.

Bill Strickland said:
Hey Alienator,

I really resent that: You're jumping to the conclusion that we're wasting the good trees.

Bill S.

"Bill Strickland" as in the author of the Bicycling Magazine piece???

Bill Strickland said:
Hey Alienator,

Bill S.

Well, as long as you only waste the bad trees then it's okay.....

:D

Originally Posted by alienator .

Courtesy breeds more courtesy. That's the approach I take when riding. When on tight roads with little shoulders, I try to wave cars by so as not to hold them up and to say, "I don't mind you passing me." Whenever a car/driver yields to me, I give a give 'em a wave and a smile. When riding through road construction where passing isn't an option, I'll actually get up and sprint so driver's don't feel like I was hogging the lane. I don't blow stop signs and lights. I follow the rules the drivers have to follow hoping that'll make 'em realize not all cyclists are a$$hats. Everyday of the week I'll promote good will between us and drivers, hoping to gain acceptance by drivers as well their courtesy. Likewise, I always give an "on your right" to cyclists I'm about to pass, unlike the guy on the time trial rig, Saturday, that gave me all of about 6" as he passed me without uttering a word. I give a wave to riders going the other way, when it's safe for me to do so, and it's quite easy to get into a short conversation with another rider enjoying their day out on their bike. I also don't judge anybody by what they ride, whether it as two wheels, three wheels, and/or a reclined sitting position. I certainly don't judge people about their speed or whether or not they're hardcore. You know, it's not like I can know what the rider's plan on his bike is for the day, whether he's riding slowly, riding fast, or whatever. As far as I'm concerned, they're just out having fun. I couldn't care less whether I pass them, or they pass me. Such petty judgments by small minded riders only serve kill a nice buzz form bike riding.

This, a thousand times this. We can build good-will towards cyclists from motorists one motorist at a time.