Mirror

Returning_cyclist

Jun 3, 2019
I've been trying to figure out how to put a usable mirror on my bike. I don't want to do something helmet or glasses mounted. But I've got a few problems. I have Trek bars with an Isobar grip that really won't allow a mirror to be attached.
th

Then I have bar extensions, so a bar end mirror doesn't work (I went to the Trek store and the mechanic couldn't get it to work). So then I saw the Bike-Eye frame mounted mirror and thought that might work.

th

But I'm short, so there is no viewing area between my legs, I just see my knee.

So does anyone have any clever suggestions?

Thanks!

Ok so here is my solution. I tried the Zefal Spy Mirror and mounted it on the bars, on the frame and even on the forks. But I could not get a view behind me. I was in the way.

upload_2021-9-29_7-19-20.png

So I modified it. I cut off the mounting bracket on the bottom to get a flat surface, then mounted it on the end of my bars with some double sided mounting tape and some black duct tape to reinforce it. This is what I ended up with:

upload_2021-9-29_7-21-37.png

Not necessarily aesthetically pleasing, but it's firmly fastened and does the job.

I'm not seeing why a regular bar end mirror won't work.
I have similar grips on my Trek MTB and bar end mirrors work fine.

You didn't read my post. I explained why.
I'm going by your photo. I see nothing in the photo that would prevent you using a bar end mirror.
What do you mean by bar extensions?
I have eight bikes with a wide variety of bars, grips, bar ends, etc. and I have bar end mirrors on all of them.
If there really is something preventing you from using a bar end mirror, then I would change whatever is stopping their use. Get rid of the "bar extensions" or get a different one. The mirror is more important.

You just aren't reading what I'm writing. You're so sure you're write you're paying no attention. Here is a picture of bar extensions.

Ergon-Bar-End-Handlebar-Cycling-Grips-Bicycle-Mountain-Bike-MTB-Ergonomic-Bike-MTB-Rubber-Aluminum-Barend.jpg

The shiny things on the end are bar extensions. Because they are inserted into the end of the bar, there is no place to put the mirror mounting bracket. For someone who supposedly knows everything about bicycles I'm surprised you didn't know that.

As for getting rid of them, well if you're read what I wrote, you'd have seen that I solved the mirror problem. But apparently you don't read what people write.

My real problem with this forum is people like you who don't know the answer to a question, so you answer a question you do know the answer to. It's like if I wrote "I'm having trouble getting my disc brakes adjusted" And because you don't actually know how help, you'd respond "I don't like disc brakes, get rid of them".

If you can't be helpful, don't bother to respond in the forums.

You just aren't reading what I'm writing. You're so sure you're write you're paying no attention. Here is a picture of bar extensions.

Ergon-Bar-End-Handlebar-Cycling-Grips-Bicycle-Mountain-Bike-MTB-Ergonomic-Bike-MTB-Rubber-Aluminum-Barend.jpg

The shiny things on the end are bar extensions. Because they are inserted into the end of the bar, there is no place to put the mirror mounting bracket. For someone who supposedly knows everything about bicycles I'm surprised you didn't know that.

As for getting rid of them, well if you're read what I wrote, you'd have seen that I solved the mirror problem. But apparently you don't read what people write.

My real problem with this forum is people like you who don't know the answer to a question, so you answer a question you do know the answer to. It's like if I wrote "I'm having trouble getting my disc brakes adjusted" And because you don't actually know how help, you'd respond "I don't like disc brakes, get rid of them".

If you can't be helpful, don't bother to respond in the forums.
Yes, I did read your post. I guess I'm not making myself clear.
Those are usually referred to as bar ends, not bar extensions.
Bar ends don't preclude the use of bar end mirrors. I've used the two together many times.
Yes, short bar ends are a problem, since your hand covers the end of the bar.
Longer bar ends work fine with bar end mirrors.
Bar ends aren't as popular as they once were.
If you went to Moab in the late 1990s ore early 2000s, most of the bikes you saw would have had bar ends. Mine included.
If you went there today, I think you'd find that bikes with bar ends are a lot less numerous.
I got away from them for safety reasons. You can't reach your brakes while gripping the bar ends and they can catch on stuff.
My advice is to lose the bar ends and, maybe, get a longer stem..

Use middle equipment, you can mount it at your posted second image, replace your mirror. If no other option!

sorry, I can't add a link, but you can search for it and easily add a new mirror stick!

A mirror on a bicycle is a useless thing. And also dangerous. But that's just my opinion. It's just that I once had an accident because I was relying on the mirror, and I didn't look back. I couldn't see the car that was passing me in the mirror. And I couldn't hear it. And the car was in the blind spot of the mirror. So you better turn your head!

Shockingly, a large part of that fun and gaming pleasure is eventually damaged by some genuinely bewildering design preferences that will undoubtedly leave an awful image about its gameplay when you’d be reviewing this part, once you are done with the game. Everything you need to know, everything that you forgot and Everything you didn’t know already about the game is in the Shadow of War guide.