Mirrors on bicycles?

I used a handle bar mirror for a while. I found that I could hear cars coming a lot sooner than I could see them. Then I would swerve all over the road trying to see the car in my morror. I don't worry about it anymore. Maybe that's foolish but I don't. I don't see how a mirror is going to prevent being hit from behind by a car. It never helped when I drove cars, why would it help on a bike. I assume that some day I going to be hit and when I am I'll deal with it. Actually I have been hit twice. Both times were my fault and I was hit from the side and no damage was done. Lucky I guess.

I think It's a lot more important to be visable, ride with confidence and ride in a straight and predictable line.

I have to throw my support in for a helmet mounted mirror. Since using one for about a month now, I feel more confident, and can be more aware of my surroundings, an important aspect of road cycling. Sure I can hear cars coming from behind, especially when they are right on my rear, but alot of times it is hard to tell where exactly they are. The rear site also lets them know I am watching them, especially so when slowing at a stop, or when in a traffic que. The mirror may not prevent any hits, but I think it may help to prepare the rider. If I am moving along keeping an eye behind me, and I see a quick approach onto my rear, I can signal for slow, or even brace for a hit (maybe directing myself to the curb side), who knows. I haven't been hit yet, but I feel more prepared, and less likely to get hit now, and defenitely more relaxed on the road.

Originally posted by interlooper
that helmet is SUCH a good idea. i want one!!! can i get it in australia???

Hi, came across your comment . Yes you can get the helmet from us. We are the distributor in Asia and based in Singapore. Visit our website www.i-m-a-world.com

I bought a small mirror that attaches to my eyeglass frame.

The first time one of the senior stoic whiners at the Stop-N-Rob noticed it and asked I explained that it is a rearview mirrior. It has nothing to do with riding bicycles. It is to view ladies who walk past going in the opposite direction. Several geezers grinned vacantly.

Originally posted by HellonWheels

Anyway the mirror really really reduces my phobias of being hit from behind. I read an article last month in Carbusters thay recommended a mirror,. and in my 30+ yrs of cycling I never thought to get one. I wish I'd done it sooner! It also enables me to keep an eye on my 9 yr old daughter who rides behind me, too.

Spot on! That's my primary use for the mirror -- to keep a close eye on the young'in when we're travelling in a pack. She feels more comfortable following me, and given her current level of traffic management skills, I'm thinking it's appropriate. But it's easy as an adult cyclist to get too far ahead, so I use the mirror continously to check her positioning. I can't imagine cycling with a child without one. It would be too nerve-wracking.

I've used a helmet mirror for gosh, 26 years, I think it's more important than the helmet!

I have no blind spots; I just move my head a little bit and completely scan what's in back of me.

Brunswick_kate said:
Spot on! That's my primary use for the mirror -- to keep a close eye on the young'in when we're travelling in a pack. She feels more comfortable following me, and given her current level of traffic management skills, I'm thinking it's appropriate. But it's easy as an adult cyclist to get too far ahead, so I use the mirror continously to check her positioning. I can't imagine cycling with a child without one. It would be too nerve-wracking.

A few days ago one of my bikes fell over and the arm of the mirror bent. I tried riding with it anyway but it didnt work. I actually came home, grabbed my other bike and used that (both have the mirrors on them.)

Its AMAZING how I never used a mirror before, but now that I have used one, I won't even ride a bike without one (or without one that works right!)

BTW those stick on mirrors don't work for me because I have 3 speed bikes (from the 1970s/1980s)...for those I need the longarm mirrors, but the bike shop in Pitman, NJ sells them for 12 bucks. Couldnt find them anywhere else!

I think it depends on the application .

My commuting bike is covered with reflectors and lights , but the most important thing is my mirror . I have got it fitted where the bar end plugs normally go . I think it is absolutely essential , and gives me forewarning of when a lorry is about to overtake me etc.

On my mountain bike - no lights , no mirror , only a water bottle and a bum bag . No lorries on the mountains !

The rectangular mirror 2 cm x 3.5 cm ( 3/4 inch x 1-3/8 inches) positions 5 cm ( two inches) in front of my eyeglasses. I adjust the mirror just so that I cannot see my left ear.

By turning my head slightly I can pan the road behind me.

You may wish to query Kinetics re availability in Oz

Kinetics, 54 Switchback Road, Bearsden, Glasgow G61 1AE, UK
tel/fax: 0141 942 2552, email: [email protected]
Opening hours: 9am to 5pm, Tuesday to Saturday.

My mirror clips to my left eyeglass/sunglass temple. I bought it at the Folks On Spokes Easter 2004 ride near University Park, Illinois. The vendor has appeared at other rides such as Apple Cider Century, Hilly Hundred, TOSRV, etc. It is made from #14 solid electrical wire. The mirror is flat, so there is no optical distortion.

No such luck finding a mirror to stick to the inside of sunglasses. Anyone else know of anything or anywhere else?

Courtancer said:
No such luck finding a mirror to stick to the inside of sunglasses. Anyone else know of anything or anywhere else?

take a look is the best. the best. yup. the best. sho shittin' nuff!

MERTON said:
take a look is the best. the best. yup. the best. sho shittin' nuff!

I, too, have been using the "take-a-look" eyeglass mirror for years any time I'm riding where motor traffic is overtaking me. Unlike the plastic eyeglass and helmet mounted mirrors (which generally last for one or two rides before breaking off) the "take-a-look" is comparatively indestructible due to its strong wire frame. During long-distance tours, keeping an eye on the mirror has saved me several times from being run down from behind. I have enough time to bail onto the shoulder before being hit by a side mirror on a rented RV southbound on HWY 1. For commuting, it's indispensible in SoCal.

I've got mirror on the left bar end of my bike (flat handlebar) and wouldn't ride here without it. I've gotten so used to it I can tell distances okay with it and know when to move where in a lane to prevent (or help) cars trying to pass me. When I get a road bike I'll probably not put one on.

I would not be without my helmet mounted mirror. I use the CycleAware Reflex mirror. Most helmet mirrors have a limited lifespan. After a year the swivels tend to get so loose that they are useless. A new one goes on and I am good for another year. I cannot use the mirror for glasses as my cycling glasses bows are to thick. If they were thin I would have one as a emergency backup. The bar end mirrors tend to shake on rough pavement and you have to look away from the road to use them but they are ok also.

I don't have a mirror...I think I'm going to get one that attaches to my helmet or the helmet with the mirror built-in.

Nah, I would forget the mirror for the various reasons -

a) save your pennies
b) less clutter on your bike
c) you look less of a geek
d) keep your neck well stretched by looking over both shoulders - dun get lazy!
e) mirror will make you less aware of your surroundings, it's amazing how much your ears can tell you (when you use them properly) before you do glance behind
f) it's another thing to replace if it gets stolen or broken

my two cents...