Mirrors on bicycles?

I have 2 mirrors on my road commuter/tourer. Right(traffic)=flat. Left(curb)=curved.

Makes for relaxed riding and the ability to influence overtaking traffic.

I would rather ride with no mirror than just a curved one.

HINT: go to a mirror shop and get them to "try" to put a flat mirror on, your risk.

The only time I've missed the mirrors on the race bike is when I took it for a test ride on my very first right hand turn.

interlooper said:
Hi. I'm considering getting one of those little mirrors you stick into or onto your handlebar to see what's happening behind you. I reckon that'd be really useful on the battlefield that is the australian roads and a quick alternative to the good-ol "shoulderglance".

HOWEVER, i've been told by some people that these mirrors do more damage than good, because they distort distance and don't have a full range of vision, and you tend to rely on them too much and make bad decisions etc etc.... what's with that? should i get a mirror or not?

Mirrors on bicycles are ghey. Unless there's something wrong with your neck and you're still determined to bike than by all means...represent!
Otherwise you might as well get some battery operated left and right turn signals too while your at it.
The only bikes mirrors belong on are motorcycles and lowrider bikes.
www.kingzoftheroad.com ;)

interlooper said:
Hi. I'm considering getting one of those little mirrors you stick into or onto your handlebar to see what's happening behind you. I reckon that'd be really useful on the battlefield that is the australian roads and a quick alternative to the good-ol "shoulderglance".

HOWEVER, i've been told by some people that these mirrors do more damage than good, because they distort distance and don't have a full range of vision, and you tend to rely on them too much and make bad decisions etc etc.... what's with that? should i get a mirror or not?
i ride a mtb in london i have had a bar end mirror on the right for years and cant ride without it.. you soon learn the distance it covers so distorting distance is not really a problem.. i got it as i see it this way..

without mirror.. i look round some **** steps out i hit them... while looking round (yes it can happen that fast too)..

or...

i use mirror to glance slightly down from field of view so out of corner of eye i see if anything happens in front at same time..

they are more useful than nothing trust me...

you only really need it when coming to junctions, moving across lanes etc..

interlooper said:

I wear prescription glasses and have found the mirros that clip onto the temple
bars to be far more satisfactory. When not in use they go into their sleeve and
into my tool/accessory bag. Mirros on the bike are always getting broke, I had
one stolen once.?!

riptide said:
I wear prescription glasses and have found the mirros that clip onto the temple
bars to be far more satisfactory. When not in use they go into their sleeve and
into my tool/accessory bag. Mirros on the bike are always getting broke, I had
one stolen once.?!
you have them on your glasses?

where do i get these from

There seems to be a great concern over whether something is cool as oppsed to whether something is smart. That's kind of a grade school attitude. Also one person states that he can hear a car before he can see it, so he doesn't use a mirror. Can he also hear the thunder before he sees the lightning?

HellonWheels said:
I read an article in Carbusters about bike safety and the author said mirrors are so vital that you'll wonder how you ever got by without one. I went out and bought one the next day--actually I bought fir each member of my family...my husband and three kids.

"Cool" means nothing if you're dead from a car you didnt see coming....or if you're in a head trauma unit with a new IQ of 4 and drooling from becoming a vegetable.
I have a mirror on the left brake hood of both bikes. It's cool in groups as you can see when someone's going to try and pass you or catch up. They realize you see them and then, "Hey! He's got a mirror!". But especially you can see cars coming from a long ways away. Safety is a major reason for using a mirror on a bicycle. I wouldn't ride anywhere without having one.

I would also point out another benefit of having a mirror mounted on the left side of your handlebar.

Mine sits just under the top of the left hand brakehood, sticking out about four or five inches to the left (street) side of the bike...

Maybe I'm imagining things, but I could swear that cars give me that much more clearance when they pass me; it's as if the extra few inches of width in the cyclist's profile that appears to the driver register visually, and the driver adjusts accordingly. I'm sure a few inches have been the difference between disaster and near miss for a lot of people on this board.

I have one that I use in the city, wouldn't ride without it. It does not distort and is a lifesaver.:)

I use a mirror for commuting. It attaches to my specs. It's great, I have complete view of the road behind and is more or less immune to vibration and that is important on the lousy roads I ride on, and the gravel, too.

I always told my kid, it don't matter how cute your momma thinks you are, you'll still make a really ugly hood ornament.

I avoid sidewalks whenever it's safe and I always wear the glasses-mount mirror. I like that I can scan the road behind without turning the handlebars.
I drive past one intersection with entrance ramps and I can even scan over to see the cars coming down the ramp from the right.

I have a "take a look" mirror and its probably the best bit of kit I've bought, the old adage of a bike going where you are looking is true and I find the helmet mounted mirror is safer than looking down at a bar mounted mirror as you only need a glance. Its is no trouble judging distance either as you quickly get the knack. The "take a look" also works on both sides of the helmet in case you ride on funny sides of the road.

I have been called the "Borg" (due to mirror + light on helmet), and a "moving christmas tree" due to lights and clothing so I obviously lose out on "coolness". Still having come close to death by automobile I really don't give a Flying Fruitloop what I look like. I can safely carry on my biking and the wife is more than pleased with my level of fitness that I can ahem* ;) "display", so looking cool is not something I worry about.

i use a (viewpoint?)tiny mirror that sticks to the inside of the sunglasses. it takes a while for the eye muscles to strengthen up, but its only $10. it has saved my life once already. i saw this car approaching from about 300m and they werent moving over to the other lane like everyone else does. i kept my eye on them and they werent moving over! i rode into someone driveway (it was parallel to the road for a few meters) and watched the car whiz by me; not not giving an inch. i have no idea why this person did that. it was a lincoln and driving slow like how and elderly driver drives (we all know how the elderly drive!). get a mirror

If your looking for a bike mirror that's different, go no further, Bike-Eye is brilliant, it fits to my frame so not so much chance of wrecking it and there is virtually no vibration. It's not ideal on my touring bike with all the panniers loaded but brilliant on my commuting and training/racing bikes. There is a web site that gives loades of information, it may be just what you have been looking for! http://bike-eye.com

interlooper said:

I started riding a "bent" in Feb of this year and have a rear view on it. It is the first bike I have had a mirror on and I don't know how I got along without one before this. I think they are great.
I have talked to people who use handle bar mirrors (which is what I have) and I have talked to people who use mirrors that attach to the glasses or helmet. Both groups swear by their particular type of mirror and wouldn't use any other kind. I guess it's just a matter of taste and what you are used to.
http://greg.wyglewideweb.com/

I don't use a mirror, but I do keep looking about to see what vehicles are coming on etc. 'Situational Awareness' I would term it.

Now, I have cycled in the USA and I have to say that I felt I needed a mirror on several occasions as the 'gaining eye contact with the opposing driver' thing, generally was returned as a paranoid 'what you looking at'. Quite disconcerting.

threaded said:
I don't use a mirror, but I do keep looking about to see what vehicles are coming on etc. 'Situational Awareness' I would term it.

Commuting+"situational awareness" = Reflexes of a Ninja Cat on his last life.

Jonahhobbes said:
Commuting+"situational awareness" = Reflexes of a Ninja Cat on his last life.
ROFL, absolutely! I've been known to go from a trackstand through a side roll over a set of railings to a trackstand on the pavement to avoid getting cheese-grated by a red-light-jumping articulated-truck making a sharp turn on me.

Anyways this nice thread that has got me Googling about looking at various types.

Has to be fixed on the helmet or glasses for me, as anything attached to the bike will be stolen, or cause my bike to receive the attentions of a vandal. It's what happens.

Was reading on one site where he said he'd had a set fail in cold weather. So that's something to look out for where I am, as it is going to get seriously cold some day soon. He was recommending a set from Bicycle Peddler of Greeley Colorado which look quite good to me.

I am so happy to come across this thread.
smile.gif
I am a newbie to cycling and finding it nerve racking on the roads. I also try to be considerate to other cyclists on the bike tracks but if they don't ring the bell, I don't know they are there to pull over for them (I am still at stage of learning gears / riding in a straight line!!!).
redface.gif
I also find that I'm habitually looking for a mirror to check traffic as I am so used to doing that while driving.

Now I just need to decide what option is best - handlebar mount or the glasses mount. I'm thinking that as a newbie the handlebar mount may be less distracting.

And with the retro look being so 'in', mirrors may well be cool!
cool.gif