Mirrors on flat handlebar cycles?

Ian Teelan

Guest
Hi all,

Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a flat handlebar cycle. I currently
use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and left) but have never found them very satisfactory. I use
Mirrycle mirrors on my drop bar cycle.

Thanks in anticipation,

Ian T

"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a
flat
> handlebar cycle. I currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and
left)
> but have never found them very satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors on
my
> drop bar cycle.
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> Ian T

I use a Mirrcycle - it is great on my flat Specialized bars.

"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a flat handlebar cycle. I
> currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and left) but have never found them very
> satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors on my drop bar cycle.

Out of curiousity, do you actually find mirrors any good? I recently rode a friend's bike that had
them fitted, and I found it much more hard work to look and focus on them, than look over my
shoulder and get a decent full view of the road.

Just a shoddy technique on my part?

Tom.

"Thomas Buck" <La de la de la> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...

> "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a
flat
> > handlebar cycle. I currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and
left)
> > but have never found them very satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors
on my
> > drop bar cycle.
>
> Out of curiousity, do you actually find mirrors any good? I recently
rode a
> friend's bike that had them fitted, and I found it much more hard work
> look and focus on them, than look over my shoulder and get a decent
full
> view of the road.
>
> Just a shoddy technique on my part?
>
> Tom.

I need a mirror - I use varifocal spectacles and can't see behind by turning my head - the right bit
of the lens doesn't come into play. Mirrors are great - and make the bike look wider so I get more
road room from cars.

"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a flat handlebar cycle. I
> currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and left) but have never found them very
> satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors on my drop bar cycle.
>
> Thanks in anticipation,
>
> Ian T

There is a cheaper solution if you wear glasses.. do you?

In message <[email protected]>, Thomas Buck <[email protected]> writes

>"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> Hi all,
>>
>> Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a flat handlebar cycle. I
>> currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and left) but have never found them very
>> satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors on my drop bar cycle.
>
>Out of curiousity, do you actually find mirrors any good?

Yep, much prefer to ride with mirrors on my bikes. I've had them for years.

>I recently rode a friend's bike that had them fitted, and I found it much more hard work to look
>and focus on them,

I have a Mirrycle mirror on my dropped bar bike, and a Mountain Mirrycle on my flat barred bike. I
find looking in them easy enough, just like looking in the mirrors in the car on or an motorbike

>than look over my shoulder and get a decent full view of the road.

I've never considered a glance over the shoulder (which isn't even al in focus 'cos I'm shorted
sighted and have specs to be decent view.......

I like mirrors because I can easily monitor what is going on behind, much more so than looking over
my shoulder. It does not remove the need for looking behind as well, esp. when doing a manoeuvre -
but it means I need to do it a lot less - I can see when it isn't safe to do something, and I can
anticipate sooner when it might be safe to do something, and I can spend longer looking ahead at
where I am going.

>Just a shoddy technique on my part?

Dunno, some people like them some people don't

Anyway, to answer the Op, I find the Mountain Mirrycle very good.
--
Chris French, Leeds

As I have reflective tape on the back (non glass) side of the mirror I feel that it probably makes
the bike look a little bit wider to vehicles approaching me - especially in narrow streets at night.

I 've found the Mirrycle mirror on drop bars to be fantastically effective. It is fitted onto the
brake hoods and the break cables fit through its base.

Is there a specific Mirrycle mirror for flat bars?

Ian

"Geoff Pearson" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...

> "Thomas Buck" <La de la de la> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> >
> > "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a
> flat
> > > handlebar cycle. I currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and
> left)
> > > but have never found them very satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors
> on my
> > > drop bar cycle.
> >
> > Out of curiousity, do you actually find mirrors any good? I recently
> rode a
> > friend's bike that had them fitted, and I found it much more hard work
> > look and focus on them, than look over my shoulder and get a decent
> full
> > view of the road.
> >
> > Just a shoddy technique on my part?
> >
> > Tom.
> >

> I need a mirror - I use varifocal spectacles and can't see behind by turning my head - the right
> bit of the lens doesn't come into play. Mirrors are great - and make the bike look wider so I get
> more road room from cars.

I do use spectacles.

Ian T.

"Jan" <janfieten(at)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]
berlin.de...

> "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> news:[email protected]...
> > Hi all,
> >
> > Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a flat handlebar cycle. I
> > currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and
left)
> > but have never found them very satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors on
my
> > drop bar cycle.
> >
> > Thanks in anticipation,
> >
> > Ian T
> >

> There is a cheaper solution if you wear glasses.. do you?

"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
news:[email protected]...
> I do use spectacles.
>
> Ian T.
>

> "Jan" <janfieten(at)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> berlin.de...
> >
> > "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Hi all,
> > >
> > > Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a
flat
> > > handlebar cycle. I currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and
> left)
> > > but have never found them very satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors on
> my
> > > drop bar cycle.
> > >
> > > Thanks in anticipation,
> > >
> > > Ian T
> > >

> > There is a cheaper solution if you wear glasses.. do you?

I've read an article from someone who put a very small mirror. If not necessary, he could fould it
away. Homemade, for 10 cents...

As you use the Mountain Mirrycle mirror on your flat bars, may I ask do you also use bar ends?

I find it EXTREMLY difficult to get a mirror to angle so that it can be seen while using
the bar ends.

Cheers,

Ian

"chris French" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In message <[email protected]>, Thomas Buck <[email protected]> writes
> >
> >"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> Hi all,
> >>
> >> Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a flat handlebar cycle. I
> >> currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and
left)
> >> but have never found them very satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors on
my
> >> drop bar cycle.
> >
> >Out of curiousity, do you actually find mirrors any good?
>
> Yep, much prefer to ride with mirrors on my bikes. I've had them for years.
>
> >I recently rode a friend's bike that had them fitted, and I found it much more hard work to look
> >and focus on them,
>
> I have a Mirrycle mirror on my dropped bar bike, and a Mountain Mirrycle on my flat barred bike. I
> find looking in them easy enough, just like looking in the mirrors in the car on or an motorbike
>
> >than look over my shoulder and get a decent full view of the road.
> >
> I've never considered a glance over the shoulder (which isn't even al in focus 'cos I'm shorted
> sighted and have specs to be decent view.......
>
> I like mirrors because I can easily monitor what is going on behind, much more so than looking
> over my shoulder. It does not remove the need for looking behind as well, esp. when doing a
> manoeuvre - but it means I need to do it a lot less - I can see when it isn't safe to do
> something, and I can anticipate sooner when it might be safe to do something, and I can spend
> longer looking ahead at where I am going.
>

> >Just a shoddy technique on my part?
>
> Dunno, some people like them some people don't
>
> Anyway, to answer the Op, I find the Mountain Mirrycle very good.
> --
> Chris French, Leeds

In message <[email protected]>, Jan <[email protected]> writes

>"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
>news:[email protected]...
>> I do use spectacles.
>>
>> "Jan" <janfieten(at)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]
>> berlin.de...
>> >
>> > "Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
>> > news:[email protected]...

>flat
>> > There is a cheaper solution if you wear glasses.. do you?
>> >

>I've read an article from someone who put a very small mirror. If not necessary, he could fould it
>away. Homemade, for 10 cents...

I've tried a spectacle mounted mirror - bloody horrible tying, though as ever some like em.

I don't think ti would be that easy to make a neat and effective one though.

--
Chris French, Leeds

In message <[email protected]>, Ian Teelan <[email protected]> writes

>As you use the Mountain Mirrycle mirror on your flat bars, may I ask do you also use bar ends?
>
>I find it EXTREMLY difficult to get a mirror to angle so that it can be seen while using the
>bar ends.

I do have bar ends fitted, but don't use them that much so can't say I've noticed.

--
Chris French, Leeds

Ian Teelan <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> As I have reflective tape on the back (non glass) side of the mirror I
feel
> that it probably makes the bike look a little bit wider to vehicles approaching me - especially in
> narrow streets at night.
>
> I 've found the Mirrycle mirror on drop bars to be fantastically
effective.
> It is fitted onto the brake hoods and the break cables fit through its
base.

> Is there a specific Mirrycle mirror for flat bars?

Yes - its effectively a bar-end plug, with a "normal" mirrycle on the end of it - all except the
vertical part the the brake cable threads through. I tried one on the ends of my drop bars, but the
mirror was perfectly positioned behind my forearms in the normal riding position.

Andrew

"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> writes:

> Hi all,
>
> Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a flat handlebar cycle. I
> currently use Cateye Racing mirror (on right and left) but have never found them very
> satisfactory. I use Mirrycle mirrors on my drop bar cycle.

I don't know of anything equal in effectiveness to the Mirrycle, but there is a thing called a
'Mountain Mirrycle' (which I haven't tried) and these intriguing looking things

<URL:http://www.wiggle.co.uk/?ProductID=5360006674>

which I haven't tried either.

;; 99% of browsers can't run ActiveX controls. Unfortunately ;; 99% of users are using the
1% of browsers that can... [seen on /. 08:04:02]

Ian Teelan wrote:

> Can anyone recommend effective mirrors to fit on the bar ends of a flat handlebar cycle.

I use a B&M Cyclestar on the 'bent, and the bars on that turn up in much the same way as the bar
ends on my MTB. It has separate positional possibilities at the mount, a ball and socket mount for
the stalk and another between stalk and mirror, so should work on most things.

Pete.
http://www.dundee.ac.uk/~pjclinch/

Ian Teelan wrote:

> As you use the Mountain Mirrycle mirror on your flat bars, may I ask do you also use bar ends?
>
> I find it EXTREMLY difficult to get a mirror to angle so that it can be seen while using the
> bar ends.

You could use the bracket that ICE make for their recumbents.

The next stage would be to buy the 'bent to match the mirror ;-)

John B

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=3660302575&category=16143&sspagename=STRK%3AMEASE%3AIT&rd=1
--
http://www.pbase.com/john28july

chris French wrote:

> I've tried a spectacle mounted mirror - bloody horrible tying, though as ever some like em.

Of which I am one. The Take-A-Look mirror is now available in the UK, from someone who advertises in
the back of the CTC rag and knocks spots off any h+lm+t-mounted mirror I've ever tried. If you have
ultra-lightweight Ti specs it probably wouldn't work, but it's fine attached to cycling shades.

I used to use brake-mounted Mirrcyles on my drop-bar bike, but now it has levers with concealed
cables, I don't miss 'em. I do have them on the trike though.

http://www.bhpc.org.uk/

chris French <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> In message <[email protected]>, Jan <[email protected]> writes
> >
> >"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> schreef in bericht
> >news:[email protected]...
> >> I do use spectacles. "Jan" <janfieten(at)@hotmail.com> wrote in message news:[email protected]
> >> berlin.de...
> flat

> >I've read an article from someone who put a very small mirror. If not necessary, he could fould
> >it away. Homemade, for 10 cents...

> I've tried a spectacle mounted mirror - bloody horrible tying, though as ever some like em.

I am that some. I saw the take-a-look mirror on the icebike site and thought it looked interesting
(since I like gadgets). I eventually found a uk importer and gought one for about GBP10. It took a
couple of weeks to get used to using it so I am not surprised by "Thomas Buck" <La de la de la>'s
experience.

I find it useful to keep tabs on what is going on behind so that I already know roughly what to
expect when I look over my shoulder. I slightly miss it when I don't have it now. The chief
drawbacks are what to do with it when you arrive (I keep it in my spectacle case but I probably
wouldn't carry this otherwise) and becoming "dependant" on another gizmo.

best wishes james

"Ian Teelan" <[email protected]> writes:

>I find it EXTREMLY difficult to get a mirror to angle so that it can be seen while using the
>bar ends.

I use the Zefal bar end mirror. No stalk to amplify vibration, decent field of view, easily adjusted
by hand while riding (if you set the tension right).

[http://www.dai.ed.ac.uk/homes/cam/]