Misc.kids FAQ on Jogging Strollers, Part 2/2

C

cindy

Archive-name: misc-kids/joggers/part2 Posting-frequency: monthly Last-modified: 1995/07/12
Version: 2.2

*JOGGING STROLLERS FAQ PART 2*

BURLEY BIKE TRAILER/JOGGER
-----------------------

We have a 7 month old right now. He was born in December and I knew I wanted a jogger, so I went
out looking. I decided to get a Burley bike trailer with a jogger attachment. Even though this was
the most expensive choice, I am VERY satisfied with my choice. The unit is great for pulling
behind a bike, (up to 45 mph down hill so far) and it quickly converts to a jogger by turning a
wing nut which drops the front wheel (which is attached to the trailer tongue). The front wheel is
about 8 inches in diameter and pivots, so you can turn much easier than the baby joggers with
fixed front wheel.

The Burley fits two kids, or one kid and lots of groceries. It is rated for 100 pounds of load. We
often ride our bikes to the store, stroll through the store with the stroller, buy groceries and
ride home again.

We purchased a double fly which has a screen, or a plastic see through cover. My wife recently ran a
5 K and it was pouring rain. Our baby was the ONLY person at the race to stay warm and dry.

The Burley also completely collapses and the wheels come off. My wife can collapse the trailer and
have it in the trunk in less than 60 seconds.

I was concerned about the pivot wheel on the front being stable enough to run at high speeds
(certainly a relative term). You know what I mean if you have ever run with a shopping cart. Well we
take it out when we rollerblade, and push it at 10-12 miles per hour. This is a 6 to 5 minute pace!
I will go out on a limb and say that it appears very stable.

There is one more thing that I need to say that has been very important to us thus far. The trailer
is big enough to put a car seat in. So we bundle him up inside (when it is cold) and just set the
car seat in. When he was younger (2 months old) he slept most of the time, then we would come home
and transfer him to his bed. So I can go for a run any time, day or night. If I am tending and I am
the only one home, and the baby is asleep, I just scoop him up, put him in the jogger in his car
seat, go for a 5 or 10 miler, come home and put him back in bed, and he never woke up!

I have already mentioned that it will hold 2 kids, or 100 pounds. We would like to go on a long,
(cross country) bike trip, and we will most likely use the trailer also.

This was a hard decision to make when we bought it. It was $450.00 out the door with the jogger kit,
but it is the best decision I have made in a long time.

We are very pleased with this product. I would be glad to answer any questions anyone has concerning
the subject of baby joggers.

(did I mention that it collapses to about 7 inches high?)

I think Burley is a far better company with much higher quality stuff. The people I know with
trailers, including Seana Hogan a two time winner of the "Race Across America" and proud producer of
a now 2yr old boy. She was helping at a ride I did. She went out with her kid in the trailer to do
the biggest hills of the ride.

The company itself has many good policies I like to support when I can. But the bottom line is that
a Burley trailer will work better for longer than a Huffy.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
HUFFY/JC PENNEY

-- Supposedly can carry up to 50 pounds, I think, so certainly until Erica is 6 or so (or longer if
you have more young'uns)

-- Breaks down by pulling 3 pins and releasing a strap. Back wheels come off. If you use the canopy,
it has to come off, also. Should fit in a standard trunk. It takes up the whole width of the trunk,
but you can squeeze other things into the trunk.

-- Comes with a canopy, side wings, splash guard on front. Back wheels can be positioned at 2
different widths (supposedly one for racing, one for walking). There's a pocket for storing
food, etc.

-- Front wheel does NOT pivot. There are NO brakes, just a strap. So that's a drawback when using it
as a stroller, since it rolls so easily. Because front wheel does not pivot, you probably can't rig
it up to tow behind a bike.

-- When you think about it, there aren't that many moving parts, so you'll probably base your
decision on how solidly it looks built, whether you like how it seats a child, or whether you desire
some of the other features.

-- Cost is $159 + tax and shipping. $249 for the 2- seater. I got it through JC PENNEY general
catalog. It's possible they have more models in their specialty catalogs. It's also possible that
HUFFY sells different models.

I bought a baby stroller a couple of years ago. I bought it from a local store but the same model is
advertised in the back of Runners World. I think the name of the one I bought is the "easy strider".
I will check the name when I go home tonight. It was cheaper the "the baby jogger" and had a bigger
place for the child to go. I wanted to be able to use mine for a long time and the baby jogger was
smaller. Also, the easy strider is easier to take apart (no tools). But, it doesn't fold down as
small. I have been really happy with mine and my kids love it. I bought mine at the "Sports
Authority" store. I don't know if you have those in CANADA or not. Please let me know if you have
any questions.

I checked on the info for the baby jogger. It is called the "Huffy Easy Strider" There is also a
phone number on it 612-935-6110. It might be a version of the one you were talking about that
converts into a bike trailer. I have seen adds for it and it look vary similar. I have had to call
the number twice. When I first bought it a part was missing from the stroller and I didn't tighten a
screw tight enough and it fell out. Both times they were very helpful and quick to respond. Let me
know what you end up doing. I would really like to hear if you get the bike trailer one.

Cindy Makes the Commitment and Finally Buys a Jogger.

After much hemming and hawing and soul searching, I bought the Huffy through JC Penney. My reasoning
followed the lines of 1) I didn't want to spend $300 since my daughter is 2.75 already and I
didn't/don't know if there would be a number 2. (More waffling. I wish there was an Olympic event
for waffling).

2) I run at noon (at work), so didn't want to make a big investment in something I may not use that
often. I really just wanted the flexibility to run after work if necessary (and on weekends).

3) The sidewalks are awful here and I could barely push the Graco stroller, and there are some nice
trails I wanted to walk on.

4) The Baby Jogger wouldn't fit in either of our cars.

I have used the Baby Jogger a couple of times and found it to be an really nice jogger. After owning
the Huffy for a month, I can see where the Baby Jogger is made better, though I'd have to stretch
some to justify nearly double the price.

The collapsibility was a big issue for me, and the Huffy is really easy to collapse. Just remove two
cotter pins to remove the back wheels, then loosen a strap to fold the stroller up. It fits into the
trunk of my 89 Toyota Camry Sedan.

I also like the wings that Huffy puts over the wheels to keep little fingers out. I say that then
last night my daughter was leaning forward running her finger nail on the moving front
wheel...sigh...

The Huffy is heavier, though not hugely noticeably, and the handle is a tad higher. Someone shorter
than me (5'2") might find this a drawback. The seat is made very well, and Erica finds it
comfortable.

No brakes. Comes with canopy.

I think if I were to run every day with the jogger, I would borrow both the Baby Jogger and a Huffy
and use them for a week each for a real comparison. But, I think anyone would be happy with the
Huffy if economics were the driving issue.

October 16, 1993 A note about the Huffy. Despite the fact that I keep the Huffy inside in the garage
and haven't used it in the rain, the darned thing is rusting. The bolts are rusted and the foot rest
is rusting. I'm planning to call Huffy, but haven't done it yet.

July 1995 Crummy canopy. The thing keeps collapsing. My two month old doesn't cotton to that,
another reason I use the super twinner more.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

KIDCART
-------

We got KidCart 2 years ago. At the time it was the only one that didn't require you to use a wrench
to disassemble it in order to fold it up, get it into your trunk, get it out and use it.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

RUNABOUT
--------
Runabout UNI-USA, Inc. 1-800-832-2376

I threw a baby shower for a friend who runs and a group of 25-30 of us chipped in and bought the
Runabout for her. Since they cost about $300 it makes it easier if you share the costs. They do
convert from single to tandem for a modest sum and I know someone who uses the tandem version
which they prefer to the kind that sit the kids next to each other (this one sits one kid in front
of the other). The idea is, unless the kids are the same age/weight it will be imbalanced if they
are side by side.

The Runabout seems very sturdy and is super easy to disassemble. Of course I did it without also
trying to hold a wiggling baby.

It seems very stable and smooth riding. The support looks better than the sling seat the Baby Jogger
has. Oh, in terms of how small, they had a picture of it in the hatchback of some small sporty car
like the rx7.

One thing about the runabout--no brakes. It *does* have a leash. Their position, and one of my other
running friends confirmed this, is that the brake isn't much use, its better to use your body weight
to control the speed and forward motion. All in all, I'd recommend it and if and when I ever have
kids I'd be favorably disposed towards this brand. Of course at th is rate, the technology may have
changed considerably.

As a company they were very responsive with my order and rushed me the stroller in time for the
shower. Funny, the box they ship it in is huge--why didn't they just collapse it and put it in a
smaller box? I did not order the shade with the stroller because I waited until the baby was born to
find out the name and have in embroidered on. All in all very nice.
+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&

GENERAL OPINIONS AND COMMENTS
--------------------------
I've used the Baby Jogger Baby Jogger. I own the model that Sears and Rareback sells, and can't
imagine that the difference in quality is worth the difference in price. (Sears model $139)

I'd highly recommend you not shop based on price. Why do I say this, you ask? My son is two years
old (next month). I started out two years ago with a baby jogger I saw advertised in a catalog
called "Heartland America." I choose this one because it was much less expensive than those I'd seen
in local shops and other catalogs - about $129 at the time. Also, it appeared to be well
constructed.

Big mistake. The critical structural element was held in place by two aircraft nuts. But they never
stayed tight! When my wife saw that I was running with a wrench in the pocket of the jogger, she
pointed out that I'd taken my usual quest for the best price/value to the point of foolishness!

I then went out and bought Motiv model that could also be attached to the seat post of a bicycle, as
well as be a regular ol' three wheel jogger. Again, a mistake. The front wheel frame, since it was
detachable for the bike option, was never really tight enough, and the entire contraption would
shake rattle and roll when taking the slightest bump.

So, my son and I now jog with a stroller from Racing Strollers, Inc. I paid much more that I ever
planned, $295, but this one is light, solid, well- built and definitely a cut above the rest.
Beside, baby # 2 is on the way and I plan many more years of running together.

Consider seat style. Some are more sloped back and better for infants whereas other models have a
more upright seat.

Also, it's easy to bang little heads on the pipes that make up the sides of the stroller. An older
toddler could deal with it, and a small baby's head much not reach the pipes but it's worth a
thought to pack a blanket around the side of the stroller.
I've not considered the combo bike/jogger strollers, mainly because they are even more expensive
than the basic joggers and price is an issue for
me. One other thing occurred to me that you might want to look for: the better joggers have
bicycle-like hand brakes, which seems like a nice safety feature. The cheaper brands usually
have something like a strap that you wrap around your wrist, to prevent the thing from getting
away from you.

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&&& HELPFUL HINTS, COMMONLY ASKED QUESTIONS, Q&A from Racing
Strollers inc.

Some of this is anecdotal. I'll include some questions and answers from Racing Strollers, Inc at the
end. I put my second in the jogger at 4 weeks, but I had a special car seat insert that I used in it
and used blankets to pack her in well. I was walking on a fairly even surface too rather than
running on trails. As always, a lot of this is common sense.

-------------------------------
My daughter had her first ride in the baby jogger at three weeks of age. The three week wait was for
me not her since she was born via the surgical method -- I'm sure she would have fared very well in
the jogger to keep her from flopping around, and I always put the canopy up to keep the sun off of
her. A ride in the jogger does wonders for quieting cranky babies anytime of the day or night. And
it helps to reduce YOUR tension, too. As she grew I attached toys for her to grab and took a bottle
along. Next came the cassette player with the "Disney songs" and "Wee Sing" tapes (and an occasional
New Orleans jazz tape for me). One year for Halloween I dressed us both up as bats and turned the
hot pink jogger into a Batmobile for a costume 5K. (Ok, I know, this is getting a little weird!) Now
that she is almost three I take a baggy with cheerios for her to munch on. Those joggers are great!
Good luck with the new little one, and happy trails!

Our pediatrician suggested that we wait until our daughter is 6 months old before using one of
these, but the sales brochures mention using them at 2-3 months. I'm tending to go with the MD's
advice. Anyone had medical approval to use them earlier?
Q&A from Racing Strollers Inc. (They sent me this when I told them I maintained an FAQ on jogging
strollers so there's no copyright worries...)

n) What is the weight limit on these strollers?
o) (Cindy's embellishment on the answer:) You'll have to check the manufacturer, but racing
strollers, inc strollers have a weight limit of 75 pounds, except for the Zipper which has a
weight limit of 50 pounds. The Huffy has a weight limit of 50 pounds as well.

p) How old does the baby have to be to ride in it?
q) We ask that the child be a minimum of 6 weeks old. Also, until they can hold their head up on
their own, a neck support should be used. We determined the minimum age based on the condition of
the mother after child birth (assuming that she may be the one using it) and by the baby's
natural thermostat or temperature control. Typically, from birth to 6 weeks, they can dehydrate
very easily so it is best not to have them in the hot sun for extended amounts of time.

r) Up to what age can the child ride in the stroller?
s) The strollers (Racing strollers inc) hold a child up to 4 years of age or 75 pounds safely and
comfortably. After the average child reaches 4, they are usually too tall for the stroller to
still perform at what Racing Strollers considers a safe standard. Even though they may not weigh
75 pounds yet, a 4 or 5 year old's body length will make the stroller tippy since they are
designed for the weight distribution of a baby or toddler. (Cindy's note: Actually I've noticed
this with the Twinner, where I haven't with the Huffy).

t) Does the Twinner take 2 canopies?
u) No, there's a specific one that's wide enough for the twinner.

v) Does the Twinner hold 75 pounds on each side?
w) Nope. It holds a combined weight of 75 pounds.

x) If only one child is in the Twinner or if one child is larger than the other, will this cause the
stroller to track incorrectly or be off balance?
y) No, the Twinner can operate fine with only one child. So on the days when one child is sick, you
can still take the other child our for a run.

z) Can I rollerblade with it?
z) Unforunately, people do take their children rollerblading with our (Racing strollers inc)
strollers. We want to stress that this is NOT SAFE. The conditions, balance, etc. are different
for rollerblading than they are for running, jogging, hiking, etc. If someone is about to fall
while rollerblading, their first reaction is to grab onto something for balance (like the
stroller). Then down goes the baby with mom or dad. Please, if a customer even mentions it, tell
them we DO NOT RECOMMEND IT.

z) What is the difference between the 16" wheel and the 20" wheel in the areas of use and
performance?
z) The 16" wheeled strollers (both Jogger IIs and Twinner IIs when they become available) are
excellent for running and jogging. A lot of people enjoy the 16" over the 20" for portability
reasons. However if the customer is constantly jogging/running over rough terrain (like mountain
trails, sand, snow, etc.) or if they are training for a marathon, we suggest the 20 inch wheel.
It gives the baby more shock absorption and the runner less resistance.

z) Can the children breathe when the rain canopy is on?
z) Yes, there are air holes punched in the sides of it. Also, the rain canopy does not cover the
area under the foam grip on the handle. So air flows freely from various areas.

z) Doe Racing Strollers inc carry a windshield?
z) Not a windshield per se, however the rain canopy acts as a weather guard against wind, snow,
rain, etc.