Mismatched Legs

L

Laloo Yadav

Hi All, Still running around enjoying lovely Irish spring weather. I've realised that my left leg
(in fact the left side of my body) is much weaker than the right. Will running correct this over
time or should I try something else?

Best Regards

laloo

Your nervous system should correct this over time, along with exercise.

"Laloo Yadav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Hi All, Still running around enjoying lovely Irish spring weather. I've realised that my left leg
> (in fact the left side of my body) is much weaker than the right. Will running correct this over
> time or should I try something else?
>
> Best Regards
>
> laloo

news:<[email protected]>...
> Hi All, Still running around enjoying lovely Irish spring weather. I've realised that my left leg
> (in fact the left side of my body) is much weaker than the right. Will running correct this over
>
> Best Regards
>
> laloo

If you one leg is "much weaker" than the other this may indicate a physiological problem. As
symmertical beings drastic muscle imbalances are unusual. Perhaps a physical therapist can shed some
light on the cause. If you fix the cause the symptoms will go away.

My $0.02 Andy

news:[email protected]...

How much weaker, e.g., how have you measured this? If you are right-handed, some discrepancy in size
of muscles and negligible relative strength is normal. In my case, I was having a lot of problems
with my left side injury-wise, and I noticed that my right thigh was noticeably (but not overly)
bulkier than my left.

My experience is that a combination of running with proper form and weight-training fixes the
problem. My ITB and related hip pain problems have subsided after a season of targetted
weight-training exercises. Note that I do not lift with one leg and not the other, but rather, I do
everything symmetrically. For me, exercises that work out each leg independently have paid good
dividends.

--
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º Eduardo Suastegui "Test everything.
Hold on to the good." (remove '701' when replying via e-mail)
ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º°`°º¤ø¤º°`°º¤ø,,,,ø¤º

I'm curious what the average discrepancy is.

Laloo, is this causing you any sort of injury? How much can you can leg press with each leg?

amh wrote:
> "Laloo Yadav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
>
>>Hi All, Still running around enjoying lovely Irish spring weather. I've realised that my left leg
>>(in fact the left side of my body) is much weaker than the right. Will running correct this over
>>time or should I try something else?
>>
>>Best Regards
>>
>>laloo
>
>
> If you one leg is "much weaker" than the other this may indicate a physiological problem. As
> symmertical beings drastic muscle imbalances are unusual. Perhaps a physical therapist can shed
> some light on the cause. If you fix the cause the symptoms will go away.
>
> My $0.02 Andy

You've had some good suggestions already. Just a note to add: I discovered when I returned to
regular running in 2000 that my left leg was somewhat weaker than my right....or more specifically,
that it seemed to do less work during runs than the right, felt somewhat like it was "along for the
ride." I had to concentrate on pushing off with the left to moderate the effect and help out my
right side. Over time, I've realized that this problem has eased somewhat, even without doing
leg-oriented weight conditioning, something I plan to start doing again this summer. Once I got up
to significant miles and intensity for me per week, the left leg has been stronger. I still notice
the difference in leg power on hard uphills when I am really tired, but it got better with work. Of
course, you still may want to have a doctor look at the problem to make sure it's not a medical
problem that must be addressed before you can improve. Good luck.

> > "Laloo Yadav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:<[email protected]>...
> >
> >>Hi All, Still running around enjoying lovely Irish spring weather. I've realised that my left
> >>leg (in fact the left side of my body) is much weaker than the right. Will running correct this
> >>over time or should I try something else?

You may consider gradually introducing some basic leg strength training into your routine.

I had ACL surgery (knee) about 12 yr. ago, and I naturally favor my "involved" leg. I depend on
minimal strength training and stretching to keep a rough parity between my legs so that my "good"
leg doesn't get injured compensating for the involved leg.

My surgeon advised me that I would probably always need to do some wt. training.

Good luck!

Scott

Stephen wrote:
> Your nervous system should correct this over time, along with exercise.
>
> "Laloo Yadav" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
>
>>Hi All, Still running around enjoying lovely Irish spring weather. I've realised that my left leg
>>(in fact the left side of my body) is much weaker than the right. Will running correct this over
>>time or should I try something else?
>>
>>Best Regards
>>
>>laloo
>>
>>
>

Ireland? That small, weak, underdeveloped, appendage isn't your left leg....it's those Irish
genitals. You have to look farther left, to find the left leg. And no, it doesn't matter if you're
actually Irish, or not. If you live there.....it'll get small.

>And no, it doesn't matter if you're actually Irish, or not. If you live there.....it'll get small.

Ain't it the truth...

Bill R.

=============> - -- - (_!_)
OO