Miso Soup, Soy Compound Lowers Breast Cancer Risk

N-H-P

Guest
Miso Soup, Soy Compound Lowers Breast Cancer Risk
http://story.news.yahoo.com/news?tmpl=story&u=/nm/20030617/hl_nm/soy_cancer_dc_1
"Tue Jun 17, 6:07 PM ET Add Health - Reuters to My Yahoo!

By Alison McCook

NEW YORK (Reuters Health) - Japanese women who are frequent
eaters of miso soup, a soy-filled staple of Japanese cuisine,
and soy ingredients called isoflavones appear to be less likely
to develop breast cancer (news - web sites), researchers
reported Tuesday.

Women in Asian countries have only a fraction of the risk of
breast cancer seen in Western countries, and the current
findings add to a growing body of evidence that suggests
isoflavone intake might help explain why.

In Japan, for instance, women typically consume approximately
700 times more isoflavones than U.S. whites."

SOURCE:
Yamamoto S, Sobue T, Kobayashi M.
Soy, isoflavones, and breast cancer risk in Japan.
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/...ve&db=PubMed&list_uids=12813174&dopt=Abstract
J Natl Cancer Inst. 2003 Jun 18;95(12):906-13.
PMID: 12813174
ABSTRACT:
"RESULTS: Consumption of miso soup and isoflavones, but not of
soyfoods, was inversely associated with the risk of breast
cancer."
------------------------
This Article Concluded:

"Many researchers have investigated the link between eating soy
and developing breast cancer, but previous studies have shown
mixed results, with some suggesting that soy and isoflavones
offer no benefits in protecting women against breast cancer,
according to the Journal of the National Cancer Institute
report.
Women who reported eating miso soup and foods that contain
isoflavones were less likely to be diagnosed with the disease
than others.

Those women who consumed the most isoflavones typically drank at
least two to three cups of miso soup daily and also ate
soy-containing foods such as soybeans and tofu almost every day.

These soy-containing foods alone, however, did not influence
breast cancer risk in the same way as miso soup or total
isoflavone amount.

Interestingly, women who ate the least amount of isoflavones
still consumed around 250 times more of a type of isoflavone
called genistein than U.S. white women."

------------------------
Comment:

"Consumption of miso soup and isoflavones, but not of soyfoods,
was inversely associated with the risk of breast cancer."

So, there is something about the processed food called "miso
soup" and how it is traditionally prepared in Japan that is
associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer.

What I found particularly interesting about this study was how
soyfoods in general were not particularly effective. Hence, I
believe that the most important factor here is properly
preparing "miso soup" the way it is done in Japan. Prepared
"miso soup" by Western Food Processors are not likely to produce
the same effect, IMHO.

Soyfoods require extensive processing to make them safe for
human consumption. Soy is a potent goitrogen which conceivable
can result in hypothyroidism when eaten in excess or when not
properly prepared.
--
John Gohde,
Achieving good Health is an Art, NOT a Science!

Health-with-Attitude is a support group for people
trying to follow a Healthy Lifestyle.

"Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]> said ...

>Hmmm. The Japanese have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world.
>Could it be that Miso soup causes stomach cancer?

Stomach cancer rates are somewhat higher in *parts of* Japan than
worldwide rates. But the rates are not *uniformly* high throughout
Japan. And if we examine the areas where it is high, we can see they
are regions where the diet tends toward highly pickled foods, fish
entrails, etc. Miso, on the other hand, is widely consumed throughout
Japan.
--
John de Hoog, Tokyo http://dehoog.org

[email protected] (N-H-P) wrote in message
> Those women who consumed the most isoflavones typically drank at
> least two to three cups of miso soup daily and also ate
> soy-containing foods such as soybeans and tofu almost every day.

Interestingly not shown here but more people in japan as per this
study eat greater at least 2 servings of miso soup than less than
that.
Before reading this I would have incorrectly guessed tofu to be a high
contributer of isoflav's.

off topic
I'd like to see more studies on Bone Mineral density in Japanese vs.
americans - we know that Japanese have *higher* BMD when adjusted for
frame size (americans obviously have more cross-sectional bone mineral
density due to frame size). This is well known to be the cause of
lower hip fractures.
It would be interesting to see why - is it genetic? This can only be
answered (probably not by twin studies) by looking at prediction by
exercise +things like isoflav's. The latter is unlikely given that it
is probably not much greater than -salt as a predictor. Regarding
former, last time I checked the steps per day was not *that* much
greater in Japanese but I have to check again - I also suspect that
skeletal loads are not that much greater, so I'm left to guess mostly
genetic but I'm probably worng.....

Thanks for posting this ... very interesting.

www.BreastImplantAwareness.org

[email protected] (N-H-P) wrote in message news:<[email protected]>...
> [...]
> Comment:
>
> "Consumption of miso soup and isoflavones, but not of soyfoods,
> was inversely associated with the risk of breast cancer."
>
> So, there is something about the processed food called "miso
> soup" and how it is traditionally prepared in Japan that is
> associated with a reduced risk of breast cancer.
>
> What I found particularly interesting about this study was how
> soyfoods in general were not particularly effective. Hence, I
> believe that the most important factor here is properly
> preparing "miso soup" the way it is done in Japan. Prepared
> "miso soup" by Western Food Processors are not likely to produce
> the same effect, IMHO.
>
> Soyfoods require extensive processing to make them safe for
> human consumption. Soy is a potent goitrogen which conceivable
> can result in hypothyroidism when eaten in excess or when not

[email protected] (Ilena) said ...

>"Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]>
>

>> Hmmm. The Japanese have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world.

>No they don't ...
>
>Japanese women are diagnosed at the rate of 15.3 per 100,000 ...
>
>Korean men at 48.9 ... for starters ...

Another pointer to pickled and salted foods.

I have more complex data for Japan that breaks down the cancer data by
region. It shows wide variation in cancer rates of each type from one
region of Japan to another. Diets also vary from region to region, as
do other factors such as climate and economy.
--

Ilena wrote:

> "Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]>
>
> > Hmmm. The Japanese have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world.

> No they don't ...
>
> Japanese women are diagnosed at the rate of 15.3 per 100,000 ...
>
> Korean men at 48.9 ... for starters ...

It's probably the kim chee...

sue

In article <[email protected]>,
Ilena <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Rich Shewmaker" <[email protected]>
>

>> Hmmm. The Japanese have the highest rate of stomach cancer in the world.

>No they don't ...
>
>Japanese women are diagnosed at the rate of 15.3 per 100,000 ...
>
>Korean men at 48.9 ... for starters ...
>
>Interesting breakdown of cancer incidences and deaths:
>

>http://216.239.53.100/search?q=cach....pdf+"stomach+cancer"+japanese&hl=en&ie=UTF-8

All sarcasm aside, this may be the most useful posting Ilena has ever
produced. Ilena, why can't you do this sort of thing more often?

-- David Wright :: alphabeta at prodigy.net
were standing on my shoulders." (Hal Abelson, MIT)