Missing threads...........censorship?

Discussion in 'Recumbent bicycles' started by Michael Devenis, Apr 29, 2003.

  1. Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
    customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have a
    monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting personal
    experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google newsgroups and this
    is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is still possible to post
    opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for promotional posts only?

    Tags:

  2. Jim H

    Jim H Guest

    Still there. I don't use Google as my newsgroup reader - suspect it's playing some game with you. I
    use Outlook Express.

    Believe me, there have been some flaming threads here from time to time, directed at manufacturers
    or dealers. No one censors them as far as I know.

    "Michael Devenis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
    > customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have a
    > monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting
    > personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google
    > newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is still
    > possible to post opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for promotional
    > posts only?

  3. sometimes a thread dies abruptly when someone does a post that (everyone) can offer their 2 cents
    about. you'll see a post about a bent like the P-38 light up the NG because it is a popular bent
    lots of members ride or have ridden. Then you'll get a post by someone asking for info on a specific
    bent that maybe 4 people on the planet have ridden and everyone else drifts away hunting a topic
    they have knowledge about...then someone (not Moi) always tries to send the NG off track with a post
    about power-assists or ramjet engines or breaking mirrors on car doors etc.

    As for does anyone here gets censored because they express an opinion some bent manufacturer like or
    does not appreciate, well that sort of thing never happens. If it did most of us would be in Court
    right now.

    "jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > Still there. I don't use Google as my newsgroup reader - suspect it's playing some game with you.
    > I use Outlook Express.
    >
    > Believe me, there have been some flaming threads here from time to time, directed at manufacturers
    > or dealers. No one censors them as far as I
    know.

    > "Michael Devenis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > news:[email protected]...
    > > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
    > > customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have
    > > a monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting
    > > personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google
    > > newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is
    > > still possible to post opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for
    > > promotional posts only?

  4. <Chas>

    <Chas> Guest

    "Michael Devenis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
    > customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have a
    > monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting
    > personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google
    > newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is still
    > possible to post opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for promotional
    > posts only?

    a.r.b.r. is an "unmoderated" newsgroup, and as such no one has the right, or the power to censor or
    remove any post. If they did, why wouldn't they remove the obnoxious posts in Spanish from
    "sadam husein" that have appeared the last couple of days.

    Newsgroups are not operated by Google. They simply provide a web interface to them. I haven't
    noticed any threads "disappearing" recently.

    I'd suggest finding another way to access the newsgroup and see if the problem persists. Contact
    your ISP for the server name for their news server, then get a "newsgroup reader" software such as
    XNews or similar.

    My $0.02 worth

    <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

  5. In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
    > sometimes a thread dies abruptly when someone does a post that (everyone) can offer their 2 cents
    > about. you'll see a post about a bent like the P-38 light up the NG because it is a popular bent
    > lots of members ride or have ridden. Then you'll get a post by someone asking for info on a
    > specific bent that maybe 4 people on the planet have ridden and everyone else drifts away hunting
    > a topic they have knowledge about...then someone (not Moi) always tries to send the NG off track
    > with a post about power-assists or ramjet engines or breaking mirrors on car doors etc.
    >
    > As for does anyone here gets censored because they express an opinion some bent manufacturer like
    > or does not appreciate, well that sort of thing never happens. If it did most of us would be in
    > Court right now.
    >
    > "jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
    > > Still there. I don't use Google as my newsgroup reader - suspect it's playing some game with
    > > you. I use Outlook Express.
    > >
    > > Believe me, there have been some flaming threads here from time to time, directed at
    > > manufacturers or dealers. No one censors them as far as I
    > know.

    Well, it appears that Google did pull this one. Their perogative I guess. Although I did not see
    anything that might be defamatory or libelous.

    > > "Michael Devenis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > > news:[email protected]...
    > > > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread
    > > > regarding customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone,
    > > > or do we have a monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue
    > > > about posting personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new
    > > > to Google newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would
    > > > hope it is still possible to post opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a
    > > > site for promotional posts only?

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  6. "Michael Devenis" skrev...
    > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
    > customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have a
    > monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting
    > personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google
    > newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread.

    Google just sucks. This also happened to me when I used it. Use the free german server unless your
    ISP has a decent feed. Mine didn't. http://news.cis.dfn.de/

    > I would hope it is still possible to post opinion and personal
    > experience here, or has this become a site for promotional posts only?

    Careful, "they" probably know where you live. *peers around in a paranoid manner*

  7. Danny Colyer

    Danny Colyer Guest

    Michael Devenis wrote:
    > I am new to Google newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread.

    There have been several posts on other ng's over the last couple of days about messages missing from
    Google. It seems to be a problem specific to Google, which I daresay they're aware of and are
    working to rectify, but if in doubt I suggest contacting them about it.

    Thomas Paine

  8. Doug Huffman

    Doug Huffman Guest

    Good post. To expand here in response to subsequent posts that miss the point a bit...

    Usenet/nntp (Net' News Transport Protocol) is/was not intended to be 'foolproof' and especially so
    with the unexpected number of newsservers. An article number may be dropped for any number of
    reasons. Remember that the duration that an article is maintained and which groups are tracked is
    entirely at the discretion of the newsmanager. For those that care, a review of the nntp
    paradigm/protocol should reveal its 'weaknesses' (and the protocol is OT here on a.r.b.r).

    "<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > a.r.b.r. is an "unmoderated" newsgroup, and as such no one has the right,
    or
    > the power to censor or remove any post. If they did, why wouldn't they remove the obnoxious posts
    > in Spanish from "sadam husein" that have
    appeared
    > the last couple of days.
    >
    > Newsgroups are not operated by Google. They simply provide a web interface to them. I haven't
    > noticed any threads "disappearing" recently.
    >
    > I'd suggest finding another way to access the newsgroup and see if the problem persists. Contact
    > your ISP for the server name for their news server, then get a "newsgroup reader" software such as
    > XNews or similar.
    >
    > My $0.02 worth
    >
    > <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

  9. I use the newsreader provided by my ISP and there are still two different threads on it about the
    Lightning in the message #250 to #400 range. When Google was operated as DejaNews, it had a pretty
    good newsreader and archive system, but I rarely bother to use it now.

    Steve McDonald

  10. [email protected] (Michael Devenis) wrote in message
    news:<[email protected]>...
    > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
    > customer service and Lightning bikes go?

    Was this the thread for which you were looking?

    http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=MPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%40News.CIS.D-
    FN.DE&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlightning%2Bcustomer%2Bservice%2Bgroup:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent%-
    26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_qdr%3Dm%26selm%3DMPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%2540News.CIS.DFN.D-
    E%26rnum%3D1

  11. bentcruiser

    bentcruiser New Member

    Joined:
    Apr 18, 2003
    I find Cycling Forums to be the best free service. It organizes the topics and posts almost immediately. Try it out: http://www.cyclingforums.com/

    Derek

  12. Cletus Lee

    Cletus Lee Guest

    > [email protected] (Michael Devenis) wrote in message
    > news:<[email protected]>...
    > > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
    > > customer service and Lightning bikes go?
    >
    > Was this the thread for which you were looking?
    >
    > http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=MPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%40News.CIS.-
    > DFN.DE&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlightning%2Bcustomer%2Bservice%2Bgroup:alt.rec.bicycles.recumben-
    > t%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_qdr%3Dm%26selm%3DMPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%2540News.CIS.DF-
    > N.DE%26rnum%3D1

    Interesting, that thread was no available last night on google.

    - Bellaire, TX USA -

  13. Carol Cohen

    Carol Cohen Guest

    Yes! There was a mysterious lapse on google. On April 28 I posted a reply to something on a regional
    newsgroup and then another reply to a thread on the bike rides newsgroup, and neither showed up via
    google. However I just checked on them both, and now, the afternoon of April 30, they have appeared
    in each thread as if they were always there.

    C.C.