Missing threads...........censorship?

Status
Not open for further replies.
M

Michael Devenis

Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have a
monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting personal
experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google newsgroups and this
is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is still possible to post
opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for promotional posts only?

Still there. I don't use Google as my newsgroup reader - suspect it's playing some game with you. I
use Outlook Express.

Believe me, there have been some flaming threads here from time to time, directed at manufacturers
or dealers. No one censors them as far as I know.

"Michael Devenis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
> customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have a
> monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting
> personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google
> newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is still
> possible to post opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for promotional
> posts only?

sometimes a thread dies abruptly when someone does a post that (everyone) can offer their 2 cents
about. you'll see a post about a bent like the P-38 light up the NG because it is a popular bent
lots of members ride or have ridden. Then you'll get a post by someone asking for info on a specific
bent that maybe 4 people on the planet have ridden and everyone else drifts away hunting a topic
they have knowledge about...then someone (not Moi) always tries to send the NG off track with a post
about power-assists or ramjet engines or breaking mirrors on car doors etc.

As for does anyone here gets censored because they express an opinion some bent manufacturer like or
does not appreciate, well that sort of thing never happens. If it did most of us would be in Court
right now.
---------------------------------------------------

"jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> Still there. I don't use Google as my newsgroup reader - suspect it's playing some game with you.
> I use Outlook Express.
>
> Believe me, there have been some flaming threads here from time to time, directed at manufacturers
> or dealers. No one censors them as far as I
know.
>
> "Michael Devenis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> news:[email protected]...
> > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
> > customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have
> > a monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting
> > personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google
> > newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is
> > still possible to post opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for
> > promotional posts only?

"Michael Devenis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
> customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have a
> monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting
> personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google
> newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is still
> possible to post opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for promotional
> posts only?

a.r.b.r. is an "unmoderated" newsgroup, and as such no one has the right, or the power to censor or
remove any post. If they did, why wouldn't they remove the obnoxious posts in Spanish from
"sadam husein" that have appeared the last couple of days.

Newsgroups are not operated by Google. They simply provide a web interface to them. I haven't
noticed any threads "disappearing" recently.

I'd suggest finding another way to access the newsgroup and see if the problem persists. Contact
your ISP for the server name for their news server, then get a "newsgroup reader" software such as
XNews or similar.

My $0.02 worth

<Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> sometimes a thread dies abruptly when someone does a post that (everyone) can offer their 2 cents
> about. you'll see a post about a bent like the P-38 light up the NG because it is a popular bent
> lots of members ride or have ridden. Then you'll get a post by someone asking for info on a
> specific bent that maybe 4 people on the planet have ridden and everyone else drifts away hunting
> a topic they have knowledge about...then someone (not Moi) always tries to send the NG off track
> with a post about power-assists or ramjet engines or breaking mirrors on car doors etc.
>
> As for does anyone here gets censored because they express an opinion some bent manufacturer like
> or does not appreciate, well that sort of thing never happens. If it did most of us would be in
> Court right now.
> ---------------------------------------------------
>
> "jim h" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]...
> > Still there. I don't use Google as my newsgroup reader - suspect it's playing some game with
> > you. I use Outlook Express.
> >
> > Believe me, there have been some flaming threads here from time to time, directed at
> > manufacturers or dealers. No one censors them as far as I
> know.

Well, it appears that Google did pull this one. Their perogative I guess. Although I did not see
anything that might be defamatory or libelous.

> >
> > "Michael Devenis" <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> > > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread
> > > regarding customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone,
> > > or do we have a monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue
> > > about posting personal experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new
> > > to Google newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would
> > > hope it is still possible to post opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a
> > > site for promotional posts only?
> >
> >
>
>
>

--
Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

"Michael Devenis" skrev...
> newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread.

Google just sucks. This also happened to me when I used it. Use the free german server unless your
ISP has a decent feed. Mine didn't. http://news.cis.dfn.de/

> I would hope it is still possible to post opinion and personal
> experience here, or has this become a site for promotional posts only?

Careful, "they" probably know where you live. *peers around in a paranoid manner*

Michael Devenis wrote:
> I am new to Google newsgroups and this is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread.

There have been several posts on other ng's over the last couple of days about messages missing from
Google. It seems to be a problem specific to Google, which I daresay they're aware of and are
working to rectify, but if in doubt I suggest contacting them about it.

--
Danny Colyer (remove safety to reply) ( http://www.juggler.net/danny ) Recumbent cycle page:
http://www.speedy5.freeserve.co.uk/recumbents/ "He who dares not offend cannot be honest." -
Thomas Paine

Good post. To expand here in response to subsequent posts that miss the point a bit...

Usenet/nntp (Net' News Transport Protocol) is/was not intended to be 'foolproof' and especially so
with the unexpected number of newsservers. An article number may be dropped for any number of
reasons. Remember that the duration that an article is maintained and which groups are tracked is
entirely at the discretion of the newsmanager. For those that care, a review of the nntp
paradigm/protocol should reveal its 'weaknesses' (and the protocol is OT here on a.r.b.r).

"<Chas>" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:I_Gra.693578$S_4.737471@rwcrnsc53...
>
> a.r.b.r. is an "unmoderated" newsgroup, and as such no one has the right,
or
> the power to censor or remove any post. If they did, why wouldn't they remove the obnoxious posts
> in Spanish from "sadam husein" that have
appeared
> the last couple of days.
>
> Newsgroups are not operated by Google. They simply provide a web interface to them. I haven't
> noticed any threads "disappearing" recently.
>
> I'd suggest finding another way to access the newsgroup and see if the problem persists. Contact
> your ISP for the server name for their news server, then get a "newsgroup reader" software such as
> XNews or similar.
>
> My $0.02 worth
>
> <Chas> Haluzak Hybrid Race -- the inline wheelchair
>

I use the newsreader provided by my ISP and there are still two different threads on it about the
Lightning in the message #250 to #400 range. When Google was operated as DejaNews, it had a pretty
good newsreader and archive system, but I rarely bother to use it now.

Steve McDonald

[email protected] (Michael Devenis) wrote in message
news:<[email protected]>...
> customer service and Lightning bikes go?

Was this the thread for which you were looking?

http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=MPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%40News.CIS.D-
FN.DE&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlightning%2Bcustomer%2Bservice%2Bgroup:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent%-
26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_qdr%3Dm%26selm%3DMPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%2540News.CIS.DFN.D-
E%26rnum%3D1

I find Cycling Forums to be the best free service. It organizes the topics and posts almost immediately. Try it out: http://www.cyclingforums.com/

Derek

Originally posted by Michael Devenis
Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
customer service and Lightning bikes go? Was it removed at the request of someone, or do we have a
monitor who does such things on their own? Was there some sort of legal issue about posting personal
experiences that are not positive that lead to it's removal? I am new to Google newsgroups and this
is the 1st time I have noticed a disappearing thread. I would hope it is still possible to post
opinion and personal experience here, or has this become a site for promotional posts only?

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
> [email protected] (Michael Devenis) wrote in message
> news:<[email protected]>...
> > Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
> > customer service and Lightning bikes go?
>
> Was this the thread for which you were looking?
>
> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=MPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%40News.CIS.-
> DFN.DE&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlightning%2Bcustomer%2Bservice%2Bgroup:alt.rec.bicycles.recumben-
> t%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as_qdr%3Dm%26selm%3DMPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%2540News.CIS.DF-
> N.DE%26rnum%3D1
>
Interesting, that thread was no available last night on google.
--

Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
- Bellaire, TX USA -

Yes! There was a mysterious lapse on google. On April 28 I posted a reply to something on a regional
newsgroup and then another reply to a thread on the bike rides newsgroup, and neither showed up via
google. However I just checked on them both, and now, the afternoon of April 30, they have appeared
in each thread as if they were always there.

C.C.

> From: Cletus Lee <[email protected]> Newsgroups: alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent Date: Wed, 30 Apr 2003
> 12:25:44 -0500 Subject: Re: Missing threads...........censorship?
>
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] says...
>> [email protected] (Michael Devenis) wrote in message
>> news:<[email protected]>...
>>> Not to flog a dead horse as the thread "seemed" to be dying, but where did the thread regarding
>>> customer service and Lightning bikes go?
>>
>> Was this the thread for which you were looking?
>>
>> http://groups.google.com/groups?hl=en&lr=&ie=UTF-8&threadm=MPG.1913a793b28249
>> de9899e4%40News.CIS.DFN.DE&rnum=1&prev=/groups%3Fq%3Dlightning%2Bcustomer%2Bs
>> ervice%2Bgroup:alt.rec.bicycles.recumbent%26hl%3Den%26lr%3D%26ie%3DUTF-8%26as
>> _qdr%3Dm%26selm%3DMPG.1913a793b28249de9899e4%2540News.CIS.DFN.DE%26rnum%3D1
>>
> Interesting, that thread was no available last night on google.
> --
>
> Cletus D. Lee Bacchetta Giro Lightning Voyager http://www.clee.org
> - Bellaire, TX USA -

Status
Not open for further replies.