Mission accomplished

Eric S. Sande

Guest
The objective was hazy but elements of the 123nd commuter squadra
moved out on National Bike to Work Day.

Traffic was as usual heavy in the Nation's Capital but the turnout
was good, bike to work day '04 featured, well, more than normal
numbers of people riding bicycles.

I had not been previously informed of this activity.

Therefore I was surprised to find a couple of ersatz couriers
dogging my rack, in MY PARKING SPACE on the commuter rack, they
if they were messengers know the proper rack.

They weren't real messengers, just college kids out for a lark.

So I locked on a signpost that I have marked as a secondary, my
friend at work remarked that she noticed I was atypically locked.

This kind of hosing around is just another natural consequence
of bad bicycle education, I mean what the heck are we teaching
our children etc.

Anyway on my morning break I relocated to my proper space.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> The objective was hazy but elements of the 123nd commuter squadra
> moved out on National Bike to Work Day.

Huh? Isn't Bike to Work Week in two weeks? There's a Bike to Work Day, also?

>> The objective was hazy but elements of the 123nd commuter squadra
>> moved out on National Bike to Work Day.
>>

>Huh? Isn't Bike to Work Week in two weeks? There's a Bike to Work Day, also?

It's "Take your Bike to Work" day. It helps encourage casual recreation
bicycles by showing them life beyond the garage . It empowers them by
showing them that someday they can become commuter bikes.

--
mac the naïf

On Sat, 08 May 2004 03:37:43 -0400, "Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]>
wrote:

>Traffic was as usual heavy in the Nation's Capital but the turnout
>was good, bike to work day '04 featured, well, more than normal
>numbers of people riding bicycles.

Come on, it was Friday, the easy commute day. My normal commute takes
an hour, Friday it was 45 minutes (not counting the final bike part).

Of course, it was a bit longer on Thursday. A truck dropped a load of
pipes right at John Hanson and U.S.50, then they closed most of the
bridge over the rails at Florida. That took 3 hours and change. Should
have gotten on my bike in Odenton...

Curtis L. Russell
Odenton, MD (USA)
Just someone on two wheels...

In article <[email protected]>,
"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> writes:

> Therefore I was surprised to find a couple of ersatz couriers
> dogging my rack, in MY PARKING SPACE on the commuter rack, they
> if they were messengers know the proper rack.
>
> They weren't real messengers, just college kids out for a lark.

What would have happened to them if they locked to
the messengers' rack?

Anyhow, you handled the situation with great aplomb.

cheers,
Tom

--
-- Powered by FreeBSD
Above address is just a spam midden.

>Come on, it was Friday, the easy commute day. My normal commute takes
>an hour, Friday it was 45 minutes (not counting the final bike part).

Come to think of it, Friday IS the easy day, isn't it?

At least on the way in. It's not so great on the ride home, though.

Luckily I missed the rush hours and managed to get myself back
to the shack by 0 dark thirty, riding in the rain, but I didn't
have to deal with the thunderstorm.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

>What would have happened to them if they locked to the messengers'
>rack?

Nothing, they were short timers. That's the whole principle of
bicycle racks. Either you Bogart or not. A commuter Bogarts the
rack, we're going to be there all day.

A messenger is a non-Bogarting rack user but still a legitimate
rack user, that's why we segregate the racks.

It's in and out parking as opposed to long term parking, and it's
administered by community consent.

What can I say, this is the way it is. Parking is parking. People
in DC have been shot over parking issues.

--

_______________________ALL AMIGA IN MY MIND_______________________
------------------"Buddy Holly, the Texas Elvis"------------------

Sat, 08 May 2004 17:23:59 -0400, <[email protected]>,
"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> wrote:

>It's in and out parking as opposed to long term parking, and it's
>administered by community consent.
>
>What can I say, this is the way it is. Parking is parking. People
>in DC have been shot over parking issues.

But not cyclists shooting cyclists over which rack is whose. Well, not
in DC yet anyway. Maybe in Amsterdam where bike parking _is_ an issue
and you've got all those wild Dutchmen riding around on dope.

Vancouver bike thieves on dope are weird.
=====/
From: [email protected]
Newsgroups: bc.cycling
Subject: Helpful bike thief.
Date: Thu, 06 May 2004 08:31:52 GMT

I had an interesting experience a couple of days ago. I locked
my bike against a sign-post in Chinatown and went in for a doctor's
appointment. When I returned, a fellow was standing next to my bike
and he asked me if the bike was mine. When I said it was, he said:
"****! I was just about to steal it!" This gentleman then pointed to
a bolt located at the base of the sign post and said that he could 've
easily stolen my bike simply by loosening the bolt and lifting the
entire sign-post out of it's metal base. He even opened his coat and
showed me his array of "tools" for liberating bikes from their
rightful owners. After warning me not to lock my bike up against
these type of sign-posts, he wished me well and ran off with a wave
and a smile.
======\

Or maybe that's an urban myth.

Anyway sign posts can be risky lockups. But you know that.
--
zk

Zoot Katz wrote: (snipped)

Appropos of nothing, really, I got behind a guy on a brand-new red
Specialized today. The logo on his butt was:

Zoot Sports.

Bill "just can't get away some times" S.

In article <[email protected]>,
"Eric S. Sande" <[email protected]> writes:

> What can I say, this is the way it is. Parking is parking. People
> in DC have been shot over parking issues.

Lately I've been opting for parking meters instead of racks.
But today while out and about, I locked to the rack -- the
inside position, closest to the building. I was the first
one there, parked in the rack. I figure that way, subsequent
parkers could use the rack too, without my hogging all the space.
But when I returned from my shopping the rack was full, and I
was momentarily cut off from my bike. Shortly afterward a cute
lady came along, and got her bike off the rack and out of my
way. I chatted her up a bit. I think she was admiring my road
rash wounds. Or was amused by them (gonna have tan-holes from
the dressings.)

When there's plenty of room on either side of a rack, it would
really help if people would alternate, like:

R-bike
bike-A
C-bike
bike-K

instead of:

R-bike
A-bike
C-bike
K-bike

.... where handlebars become entangled, and top shifters
get knocked out of whack.

But a parking meter all to yourself is nice and personal.

cheers,
Tom