Missouri Ultramax Opinions?

M

MJuric

A group of people I know are contemplating doing the Ultramax IM distance. Any comments on this
race, Course, organization accomidations etc?

~Matt

I've heard nothing but good things about that event at Lake of the Ozarks and the half-max and
quarter-max in Innsbrook, Missouri. I am going to participate in the half- or quarter-max.
Good luck.

Also take a look at their website : http://www.ultramaxtri.com they have other events, including a
team event next year. Hope you go for it. I always marvel at those who do the IM distance. That
darned swim is my albatross!
--
Aaron M. Staebell St. Peters, Missouri 63376

On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:41:51 -0600, "astaebell" <[email protected]> wrote:

>I've heard nothing but good things about that event at Lake of the Ozarks and the half-max and
>quarter-max in Innsbrook, Missouri. I am going to participate in the half- or quarter-max.
>Good luck.
>
>Also take a look at their website : http://www.ultramaxtri.com they have other events, including a
>team event next year. Hope you go for it. I always marvel at those who do the IM distance. That
>darned swim is my albatross!
>--
>Aaron M. Staebell St. Peters, Missouri 63376
>

I've looked at the site and have heard a few other people, I believe here, mention good
things about it. We've got a group of four that is looking to do an IM distance next fall.
Our choices are IM FL, which we would have to sign up Saturday for or Ultramax. 2 out of the
4 are leaning towards the UltraMax with only one fairly staunch IM FL'r. Do you know anyone
who has done UltraMax?

~Matt

In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:

> Do you know anyone who has done UltraMax?
>

I know a guy who did it. He said the hills were crazy. All of the bike people sold out of
lower-geared cassettes. He said he went anaerobic on the bike so many times that his diaphram
cramped and he ended up walking all but one mile of the marathon.

I have no idea if it's hillier than Ironman Wisconsin, but if it is you'd better bring your "A"
climbing skills on the bike. IM Moo was plenty hilly for me.

--Harold Buck

"I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."

- Homer J. Simpson

[email protected] (MJuric) wrote in message
> Do you know anyone who has done UltraMax?

I've done it the past two years, or at least most of it. It's a fabulous race, probably the best
volunteers I've seen in 15 years of racing. In 2002, the bike course was wicked--11,000 feet of
climbing and in the heat. They changed the bike course this year and I loved it (except for some
head wind). Only 5,500 feet, I think. I hear that they may do some minor changes for next year to
make it even less hilly (damned shame, IMO). Swim is good, run is fine.

There are some reviews in a thread on the slowtwitch.com forum and I believe another thread here in
rst. Do a search and you should find
it. Also, on the ultramax website, there is a link to comments by participants. All of the above
should give you more information than you need.

Ran with a guy during the Pineman that had done Ultramax and he said it was very hilly too.

You may consider the Pineman (DeerCreek, Ohio). It's in late September.

BBB

"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:
>
> > Do you know anyone who has done UltraMax?
> >
>
>
> I know a guy who did it. He said the hills were crazy. All of the bike people sold out of
> lower-geared cassettes. He said he went anaerobic on the bike so many times that his diaphram
> cramped and he ended up walking all but one mile of the marathon.
>
> I have no idea if it's hillier than Ironman Wisconsin, but if it is you'd better bring your "A"
> climbing skills on the bike. IM Moo was plenty hilly for me.
>
> --Harold Buck
>
>
> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>
> - Homer J. Simpson

On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:59:02 GMT, "booner" <[email protected]> wrote:

>Ran with a guy during the Pineman that had done Ultramax and he said it was very hilly too.
>
>You may consider the Pineman (DeerCreek, Ohio). It's in late September.
>
>BBB
>
>"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
>news:[email protected]...
>> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:
>>
>> > Do you know anyone who has done UltraMax?
>> >
>>
>>
>> I know a guy who did it. He said the hills were crazy. All of the bike people sold out of
>> lower-geared cassettes. He said he went anaerobic on the bike so many times that his diaphram
>> cramped and he ended up walking all but one mile of the marathon.
>>
>> I have no idea if it's hillier than Ironman Wisconsin, but if it is you'd better bring your "A"
>> climbing skills on the bike. IM Moo was plenty hilly for me.
>>
>> --Harold Buck
>>
>>
>> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
>>
>> - Homer J. Simpson
>
>

I believe they changes the course in 2003, because of the hilliness. From the profile online
it looks like it is significantly less hilly than IM WI, but hillier than IM FL. It does
however have 3-4 decent climbs in it 300-400ft. Nothing compared to IM USA or IM Canada
though. Pineman may be an option. Looking at Ultramax as it's considerably closer to were
I'm at than Pineman.

~Matt