Missouri Ultramax Opinions?

Discussion in 'Triathlon' started by MJuric, Nov 16, 2003.

  1. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    A group of people I know are contemplating doing the Ultramax IM distance. Any comments on this
    race, Course, organization accomidations etc?

    ~Matt

    Tags:

  2. Astaebell

    Astaebell Guest

    I've heard nothing but good things about that event at Lake of the Ozarks and the half-max and
    quarter-max in Innsbrook, Missouri. I am going to participate in the half- or quarter-max.
    Good luck.

    Also take a look at their website : http://www.ultramaxtri.com they have other events, including a
    team event next year. Hope you go for it. I always marvel at those who do the IM distance. That
    darned swim is my albatross!
    --
    Aaron M. Staebell St. Peters, Missouri 63376

  3. Mjuric

    Mjuric Guest

    On Thu, 6 Nov 2003 17:41:51 -0600, "astaebell" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I've heard nothing but good things about that event at Lake of the Ozarks and the half-max and
    >quarter-max in Innsbrook, Missouri. I am going to participate in the half- or quarter-max.
    >Good luck.
    >
    >Also take a look at their website : http://www.ultramaxtri.com they have other events, including a
    >team event next year. Hope you go for it. I always marvel at those who do the IM distance. That
    >darned swim is my albatross!
    >--
    >Aaron M. Staebell St. Peters, Missouri 63376

    I've looked at the site and have heard a few other people, I believe here, mention good
    things about it. We've got a group of four that is looking to do an IM distance next fall.
    Our choices are IM FL, which we would have to sign up Saturday for or Ultramax. 2 out of the
    4 are leaning towards the UltraMax with only one fairly staunch IM FL'r. Do you know anyone
    who has done UltraMax?

    ~Matt

  4. Harold Buck

    Harold Buck Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:

    > Do you know anyone who has done UltraMax?

    I know a guy who did it. He said the hills were crazy. All of the bike people sold out of
    lower-geared cassettes. He said he went anaerobic on the bike so many times that his diaphram
    cramped and he ended up walking all but one mile of the marathon.

    I have no idea if it's hillier than Ironman Wisconsin, but if it is you'd better bring your "A"
    climbing skills on the bike. IM Moo was plenty hilly for me.

    --Harold Buck

    - Homer J. Simpson

  5. Cathy Morgan

    Cathy Morgan Guest

    [email protected] (MJuric) wrote in message
    > Do you know anyone who has done UltraMax?

    I've done it the past two years, or at least most of it. It's a fabulous race, probably the best
    volunteers I've seen in 15 years of racing. In 2002, the bike course was wicked--11,000 feet of
    climbing and in the heat. They changed the bike course this year and I loved it (except for some
    head wind). Only 5,500 feet, I think. I hear that they may do some minor changes for next year to
    make it even less hilly (damned shame, IMO). Swim is good, run is fine.

    There are some reviews in a thread on the slowtwitch.com forum and I believe another thread here in
    rst. Do a search and you should find
    it. Also, on the ultramax website, there is a link to comments by participants. All of the above
    should give you more information than you need.

  6. Booner

    Booner Guest

    Ran with a guy during the Pineman that had done Ultramax and he said it was very hilly too.

    You may consider the Pineman (DeerCreek, Ohio). It's in late September.

    BBB

    "Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:
    >
    > > Do you know anyone who has done UltraMax?
    > >

    > I know a guy who did it. He said the hills were crazy. All of the bike people sold out of
    > lower-geared cassettes. He said he went anaerobic on the bike so many times that his diaphram
    > cramped and he ended up walking all but one mile of the marathon.
    >
    > I have no idea if it's hillier than Ironman Wisconsin, but if it is you'd better bring your "A"
    > climbing skills on the bike. IM Moo was plenty hilly for me.
    >
    > --Harold Buck
    >

    > "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    >
    > - Homer J. Simpson

  7. MJuric

    MJuric Guest

    On Fri, 07 Nov 2003 12:59:02 GMT, "booner" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >Ran with a guy during the Pineman that had done Ultramax and he said it was very hilly too.
    >
    >You may consider the Pineman (DeerCreek, Ohio). It's in late September.
    >
    >BBB
    >
    >"Harold Buck" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    >news:[email protected]...
    >> In article <[email protected]>, [email protected] (MJuric) wrote:
    >>
    >> > Do you know anyone who has done UltraMax?
    >> >

    >> I know a guy who did it. He said the hills were crazy. All of the bike people sold out of
    >> lower-geared cassettes. He said he went anaerobic on the bike so many times that his diaphram
    >> cramped and he ended up walking all but one mile of the marathon.
    >>
    >> I have no idea if it's hillier than Ironman Wisconsin, but if it is you'd better bring your "A"
    >> climbing skills on the bike. IM Moo was plenty hilly for me.
    >>
    >> --Harold Buck
    >>

    >> "I used to rock and roll all night, and party every day. Then it was every other day. . . ."
    >>
    >> - Homer J. Simpson

    I believe they changes the course in 2003, because of the hilliness. From the profile online
    it looks like it is significantly less hilly than IM WI, but hillier than IM FL. It does
    however have 3-4 decent climbs in it 300-400ft. Nothing compared to IM USA or IM Canada
    though. Pineman may be an option. Looking at Ultramax as it's considerably closer to were
    I'm at than Pineman.

    ~Matt