Missy Giove's QR pops open

In news:req*[email protected], David Damerell
<[email protected]> typed:

> Sure I haven't. Or maybe I have? Who knows? It's still got to be a damn sight less work for the
> fingers to work the brakes than for the legs to push you _up_ the hill in the first place.

You are just demonstrating further that my first response was right. Just for fun, sit on the couch
and squeeze a tennis ball hard for five minutes. See that's so much easier than doing something real
like pedalling uphill. Perhaps if you had ridden mountain bikes downhill with different braking
system your "theoretical" views on their performance would have more credibility

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

In article <[email protected]>, "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

> In news:req*[email protected], David Damerell
> <[email protected]> typed:
> >
> > Sure I haven't. Or maybe I have? Who knows? It's still got to be a damn sight less work for the
> > fingers to work the brakes than for the legs to push you _up_ the hill in the first place.
>
> You are just demonstrating further that my first response was right. Just for fun, sit on the
> couch and squeeze a tennis ball hard for five minutes. See that's so much easier than doing
> something real like pedalling uphill. Perhaps if you had ridden mountain bikes downhill with
> different braking system your "theoretical" views on their performance would have more credibility

Or you could consider the reality of physics. It's harder to pedal a bike uphill than to squeeze the
brake levers coming down hill. Or does sitting on the couch squeezing your tennis ball elevate your
heart rate and make you short of breath? ;-)

I've done 25 mile descents with lots of turns and braking, next to cliffs with fatally high drops if
one misses a turn. Does that count? Let's see, that was with cantilevers and with single pivot
sidepulls. The only discomfort I had was from bracing my weight against the bars.

In news:[email protected], Tim McNamara <[email protected]> typed:

> Or you could consider the reality of physics. It's harder to pedal a bike uphill than to squeeze
> the brake levers coming down hill. Or does sitting on the couch squeezing your tennis ball elevate
> your heart rate and make you short of breath? ;-)

Bet I can ride a bike up hill for longer than you can keep a tennis ball squeezed.

Tony

--
http://www.raven-family.com

"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:

>In news:[email protected], Tim McNamara <[email protected]> typed:
>>
>> Or you could consider the reality of physics. It's harder to pedal a bike uphill than to squeeze
>> the brake levers coming down hill. Or does sitting on the couch squeezing your tennis ball
>> elevate your heart rate and make you short of breath? ;-)
>
>Bet I can ride a bike up hill for longer than you can keep a tennis ball squeezed.

If you're talking about sqeezing the ball just hard enough to simulate the force needed to slow down
a MTB, my money's on Tim. I haven't ever finished a ride thinking "wow, my arms are wasted", but
plenty of 'em thinking "wow, my legs are wasted". In fact, the closest I've ever come to pumping out
my arms was on a road bike!

> Are you talking about the bead slipping on the rim or the bead actually tearing?

Tearing. The bead was made up of two steel wires and the rubber pulled off of them.

--
Phil, Squid-in-Training

David Damerell <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:xUw*[email protected]...
> Shaun Rimmer <[email protected]> wrote:
> >Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
> >>Modern bicycle disk brakes are a real improvement in one situation only: mud.
> >Overall stopping power is greater
>
> How _exactly_ can you have more stopping power than enough to lift the back wheel?

Oh dear, you are rather confused aren't you?

> >and requires less physical effort,
>
> Yes, hauling away on brake levers is pretty hard work - not like that pedalling stuff, that
> anyone can do.

Your sarcasm here merely serves to highlight your ignorance.

I'm really sorry that the facts are not to your liking - maybe you better fabricate some new ones
that please you.

Shaun aRe

Ryan Cousineau <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > "Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:
> >
> > >In news:[email protected], Tim McNamara <[email protected]>
> > >typed:

> > >Bet I can ride a bike up hill for longer than you can keep a tennis
ball
> > >squeezed.
> >
> > If you're talking about sqeezing the ball just hard enough to simulate the force needed to slow
> > down a MTB, my money's on Tim. I haven't ever finished a ride thinking "wow, my arms are
> > wasted", but plenty of 'em thinking "wow, my legs are wasted". In fact, the closest I've ever
> > come to pumping out my arms was on a road bike!
>
> I actually did finish a descent in a race a few weeks ago where I did so much braking my arms
> hurt, and it was a relief to start pedalling and stop braking. My arms were wasted :).

I'd had frequent aching hands and forearms from braking on long/multiple descents before I fitted
the Hope brake, and for my size, I have quite large forearms, and I do have a good strong grip
(that'll be from the rock climbing I guess).

Even trying to keep a small constant/slightly modulated pressure applied with the fingers, at the
angles applicable to braking causes hands to stiffen and ache.

Shaun aRe - 'everyone knows that'...

Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
news:[email protected]...
> In article <[email protected]>, "Shaun Rimmer"
> <[email protected]> wrote:
>
> > Tim McNamara <[email protected]> wrote in message
> > news:[email protected]...
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Modern bicycle disk brakes are a real improvement in one situation only: mud.
> >
> > What total, utter and complete 'codswallop' (as my gran would have
said).
> > Modern hydraulic disk brakes (not talking about the nasty stuff here) out-perform modern cable
> > rim brakes (again, referring to good quality
pieces
> > of engineering) in every desirable way _period_.
>
> In what way do they perform better?

I told you in the last paragraph, but I will add to that, 'they take a lot less maintenance to keep
at their peak performance than rim brakes'.

> > I live in the UK, have ridden in wet, dry, clean and muddy using both
rim
> > brakes (centre pull and side pull road callipers, MTB canti's, MTB V's)
and
> > hydraulic disc (Hope Mini) at different times. The hydraulic disk out-performs any of the rim
> > brakes in any and all conditions.
>
> In what way do they outperform?

Are you blind man?

> > Overall stopping power is greater and requires less physical effort, controlling the delivery of
> > that stopping power is easier than with (especially) the V's - there's just no question about
> > their superior performance.
>
> Utter tripe (the US version of codswallop, perhaps). Your stopping power is limited by traction
> and has nothing to do with what type of brakes you're using, as long as the brake can lock up
> the wheel.

Locking a wheel when the bike is static or moving slowly is easy. Get that speed up some, then
achieving the same becomes more difficult, as well as obviously less desireable. Good hydro discs
can achieve the same braking force with less lever pressure, and deliver it ina more consistant
(rather than condition dependant) and manageable manner that with rim brakes.

> > Wake up and smell the bacon.
>
> Wake up and stop hallucinating.

I believe you are projecting.

> Or go back to the Dwarf.

Oh dear, that cut me deeply - see you when I get back from victim therapy, heheheheheh....

Shaun aRe

Mark Hickey <[email protected]> wrote:
>"Tony Raven" <[email protected]> wrote:
>>Tim McNamara <[email protected]> typed:
>>>Or you could consider the reality of physics. It's harder to pedal a bike uphill than to squeeze
>>>the brake levers coming down hill. Or
>>Bet I can ride a bike up hill for longer than you can keep a tennis ball squeezed.
>If you're talking about sqeezing the ball just hard enough to simulate the force needed to slow
>down a MTB, my money's on Tim. I haven't ever finished a ride thinking "wow, my arms are wasted",
>but plenty of 'em thinking "wow, my legs are wasted".

Indeed - when was the last time you considered dismounting and walking because your fingers were too
tired to work the brakes?

>In fact, the closest I've ever come to pumping out my arms was on a road bike!

Not surprising - longer descents with less loss to rolling resistance demand more braking. My
(non-zero) experience suggests this is a complete red herring - then again, I used to ring bells,
and still have strong fingers.