Mistaking plantains for bananas

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by BoboBonobo, Jan 10, 2006.

  1. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    Tags:

  2. P.Aitken

    P.Aitken Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:

    > Don't do it, but DO go here: http://www.rathergood.com/bananas/
    >
    > If you haven't ever visited rathergood, you're in for a treat. They're
    > the best.

    If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    Peter

  3. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    P.Aitken wrote:
    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    >
    > > Don't do it, but DO go here: http://www.rathergood.com/bananas/
    > >
    > > If you haven't ever visited rathergood, you're in for a treat. They're
    > > the best.
    > >

    > If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    My 4 year old loves them, some of my boss' friends (in their 60s) do as
    well. You are sadly deficient in sense of humor.

    > Peter

    --Bryan

  4. BoboBonobo wrote:
    > P.Aitken wrote:
    >
    >>BoboBonobo wrote:
    >>

    >>>Don't do it, but DO go here: http://www.rathergood.com/bananas/
    >>>
    >>>If you haven't ever visited rathergood, you're in for a treat. They're
    >>>the best.
    >>>

    >>If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    > My 4 year old loves them, some of my boss' friends (in their 60s) do as
    > well. You are sadly deficient in sense of humor.
    >
    >>Peter

    > --Bryan

    my kid loved the spongemonkeys *years* before they showed up in the
    quizno's ads. She requests "we like the moon" often.

    --

    saerah

    http://anisaerah.blogspot.com/

    -Baruch Spinoza

    -Douglas Adams

  5. BoboBonobo

    BoboBonobo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:
    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    > > P.Aitken wrote:

    > >>If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    > > My 4 year old loves them, some of my boss' friends (in their 60s) do as
    > > well. You are sadly deficient in sense of humor.
    > >
    > >>Peter

    > > --Bryan
    > >

    > my kid loved the spongemonkeys *years* before they showed up in the
    > quizno's ads. She requests "we like the moon" often.

    It's Spongmonkeys, whatever that's supposed to mean. There are some
    other great songs up on rathergood: First Drink of the Day, Winners and
    Looking for My Leopard, also Fishy.

    I've laughed myself to tears more than once.
    > --
    >
    > saerah

    --Bryan

  6. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    sarah bennett wrote:
    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    >> P.Aitken wrote:

    >>>If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    >> My 4 year old loves them, some of my boss' friends (in their 60s) do as
    >> well. You are sadly deficient in sense of humor.
    >>
    >>>Peter

    >> --Bryan
    >>

    > my kid loved the spongemonkeys *years* before they showed up in the
    > quizno's ads. She requests "we like the moon" often.

    lord I love the spongemonkeys!
    I can't tell you how often I break into spontaneous dancing in the kitchen
    while screaming "we like the moooooon cuz it is close to us!"
    or, more commonly, just making up lyrics that sound good.

    Hippo Girl is the best.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com

  7. P.Aitken

    P.Aitken Guest

    BoboBonobo wrote:
    > P.Aitken wrote:
    >
    >>BoboBonobo wrote:
    >>

    >>>Don't do it, but DO go here: http://www.rathergood.com/bananas/
    >>>
    >>>If you haven't ever visited rathergood, you're in for a treat. They're
    >>>the best.
    >>>

    >>If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    > My 4 year old loves them, some of my boss' friends (in their 60s) do as
    > well. You are sadly deficient in sense of humor.

    Not deficient, just discriminating.

    Peter

  8. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    > > Don't do it, but DO go here: http://www.rathergood.com/bananas/>
    > If you haven't ever visited rathergood, you're in for a treat. They're
    > the best.

    >If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    >Peter

    It's nice to know we all have our own concept of humor. For instance-
    I don't find Peter's comment funny but if it brought him a chuckle,
    good for him.
    Personally, I find rathergood songs a little too neurotic for my
    taste- maybe I just haven't had enough coffee this morning to enjoy it.
    Kev

    Since we're OT and discussing humor, visit Atom Films and watch "In
    The Rough",(http://www.atomfilms.com/af/content/the_rough) it has it
    all- tragedy, redemption and yes- humor. Not to mention amazing
    animation.

  9. S'mee

    S'mee Guest

    One time on Usenet, "P.Aitken" <[email protected]> said:

    > BoboBonobo wrote:
    >
    > > Don't do it, but DO go here: http://www.rathergood.com/bananas/
    > >
    > > If you haven't ever visited rathergood, you're in for a treat. They're
    > > the best.
    > >

    > If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    Nope, my 8-yr-old called the site "weird"...

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  10. Default User

    Default User Guest

    S'mee wrote:

    > One time on Usenet, "P.Aitken" <[email protected]> said:
    > >

    > > BoboBonobo wrote:
    > >
    > > > Don't do it, but DO go here: http://www.rathergood.com/bananas/
    > > >
    > > > If you haven't ever visited rathergood, you're in for a treat.
    > > > They're the best.
    > > >

    > > If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    > Nope, my 8-yr-old called the site "weird"...

    Sounds like you don't know what the word "may" means.

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  11. Nancy Young

    Nancy Young Guest

    "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote

    > S'mee wrote:

    >> > If you are 8 years old you may think so.

    >> Nope, my 8-yr-old called the site "weird"...

    > Sounds like you don't know what the word "may" means.

    Which doesn't mean the same as "might" ...

    nancy (has no idea what the bananas thing is about)

  12. Hayabusa

    Hayabusa Guest

    Plantains. They taste like sawflour from old dry wood, or like wet
    newspaper. I have tried twice to make something edible of them, I am
    not gonna waste my time and hunger again.

    fkoe

  13. kevnbro

    kevnbro Guest

    >Plantains. They taste like sawflour from old dry wood, or like wet newspaper. I have tried twice to make something edible of them, I am not gonna waste my time and hunger again.

    fkoe

    Clearly you've never had ripe (black) plantains sliced thin and
    sauteed in butter then sprinkled with brown sugar... then again, maybe
    you have. Kev

  14. P.Aitken

    P.Aitken Guest

    Hayabusa wrote:
    > Plantains. They taste like sawflour from old dry wood, or like wet
    > newspaper. I have tried twice to make something edible of them, I am
    > not gonna waste my time and hunger again.
    >
    > fkoe

    Too bad, they can be great. Buy them with some black on the skin, then
    keep them in a dark cool place until the skin is mostly black. Peel and
    slice 1/2 inch thick and saute in oil until lightly browned.

    Peter

  15. Default User

    Nancy Young wrote:

    > "Default User" <[email protected]> wrote
    >
    > > S'mee wrote:

    > > > Nope, my 8-yr-old called the site "weird"...

    > > Sounds like you don't know what the word "may" means.

    > Which doesn't mean the same as "might" ...

    Often it does. From Merriam-Webster:

    1 [some other usages snipped]
    -- sometimes used where might would be expected <you may think from a
    little distance that the country was solid woods -- Robert Frost>

    Brian

    won't shut up.

  16. The Bubbo

    The Bubbo Guest

    Hayabusa wrote:
    > Plantains. They taste like sawflour from old dry wood, or like wet
    > newspaper. I have tried twice to make something edible of them, I am
    > not gonna waste my time and hunger again.
    >
    > fkoe

    tostones are like food from a lesser god. I often buy green plantains and make
    tostones and if I keep them too long, I wait until they're overripe and make
    maduros, which are sweet and oh so good.

    --
    ..:Heather:.
    www.velvet-c.com
    Step off, beyotches, I'm the roflpimp!

  17. S'mee

    S'mee Guest

    One time on Usenet, "Default User" <[email protected]> said:
    > Nancy Young wrote:

    > > > Sounds like you don't know what the word "may" means.

    Peter, dear, I wasn't arguing with you. My point was that while
    you were right about the immaturity of the site, 8 years old might
    be too high of an estimate. :)

    > > Which doesn't mean the same as "might" ...

    > Often it does. From Merriam-Webster:
    >
    > 1 [some other usages snipped]
    > -- sometimes used where might would be expected <you may think from a
    > little distance that the country was solid woods -- Robert Frost>

    Yeah, I tend to do that...

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)
    ~ mom, Trollop, novice cook ~

  18. S'mee

    S'mee Guest

    One time on Usenet, [email protected] (S'mee) said:

    > Peter, dear,

    I'm sorry Brian, my mistake...

    --
    Jani in WA (S'mee)