Misto???

Discussion in 'Food and nutrition' started by D.Currie, Jan 25, 2004.

  1. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't found the "actual" Misto yet,
    but do far I've bought two clones. The first one spits and sputters, although it tested fine when I
    put water in it. Washed it, dried it, put oil in it, and it sputters. Dumped it out, cleaned it,
    sprays water fine. Dried it, put oil in, it sputtered a bit then quit entirely. Okay, it was a
    cheap clone.

    Found another one at another store, and it won't even spray water. I'm returning that one tomorrow
    and looking for a genuine Misto. One more place around here that's listed as a retailer on the Misto
    web site...or I'll order on the Internet if I have to.

    If they're worth having. It seems like such a good idea, but it's getting so irritating. My
    husband's got the one out in the garage now, so maybe he'll MacGyver it into working, but I'm not to
    sure it will survive his repairs.

    Or is it possible I'm doing something wrong? Neither of the clones came with any directions
    whatsoever, so it can't be all that complicated. And I read the Misto web site to see if there was
    some trick to getting it to work.

    Any hints? Or do you think I managed to buy two defective units? It the Misto really that
    good and easy?

    And while I'm at it, can you think of anything that I might use that one for that seems to spray
    water but refuses to spray oil? It would be silly to use it for water, since I've got a useable
    plastic sprayer that doesn't need the pumping. But I can't think of anything else kitchen related
    that I'd want to spray.

    --
    Donna

    Tags:

  2. Bob

    Bob Guest

    D.Currie wrote:
    > I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't found the "actual" Misto yet,
    > but do far I've bought two clones. The first one spits and sputters, although it tested fine when
    > I put water in it. Washed it, dried it, put oil in it, and it sputters. Dumped it out, cleaned it,
    > sprays water fine. Dried it, put oil in, it sputtered a bit then quit entirely. Okay, it was a
    > cheap clone.

    After using the water, let it dry, then clean it by spraying a little vodka or gin throuth it.
    The alcohol will displace any water that might be left, and will dissolve any oil residue that
    might be left.

    > Found another one at another store, and it won't even spray water. I'm returning that one tomorrow
    > and looking for a genuine Misto. One more place around here that's listed as a retailer on the
    > Misto web site...or I'll order on the Internet if I have to.
    >
    > If they're worth having. It seems like such a good idea, but it's getting so irritating. My
    > husband's got the one out in the garage now, so maybe he'll MacGyver it into working, but I'm not
    > to sure it will survive his repairs.
    >
    > Or is it possible I'm doing something wrong? Neither of the clones came with any directions
    > whatsoever, so it can't be all that complicated. And I read the Misto web site to see if there was
    > some trick to getting it to work.
    >
    > Any hints? Or do you think I managed to buy two defective units? It the Misto really that good
    > and easy?
    >
    > And while I'm at it, can you think of anything that I might use that one for that seems to spray
    > water but refuses to spray oil? It would be silly to use it for water, since I've got a useable
    > plastic sprayer that doesn't need the pumping. But I can't think of anything else kitchen related
    > that I'd want to spray.
    >
    > --
    > Donna

  3. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    " BOB" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > D.Currie wrote:
    > > I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't
    found
    > > the "actual" Misto yet, but do far I've bought two clones. The first one spits and sputters,
    > > although it tested fine when I put water in it.
    Washed
    > > it, dried it, put oil in it, and it sputters. Dumped it out, cleaned it, sprays water fine.
    > > Dried it, put oil in, it sputtered a bit then quit entirely. Okay, it was a cheap clone.
    >
    > After using the water, let it dry, then clean it by spraying a little
    vodka or
    > gin throuth it. The alcohol will displace any water that might be left,
    and
    > will dissolve any oil residue that might be left.

    Hmmm. As long as I let it dry, I can't imagine there would have been water anywhere, but if it comes
    back from the garage in anything like working shape, I'll give that a try.

    Thanks.

  4. The Cook

    The Cook Guest

    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote:

    >I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't found the "actual" Misto yet,
    >but do far I've bought two clones. The first one spits and sputters, although it tested fine when I
    >put water in it. Washed it, dried it, put oil in it, and it sputters. Dumped it out, cleaned it,
    >sprays water fine. Dried it, put oil in, it sputtered a bit then quit entirely. Okay, it was a
    >cheap clone.
    >
    >Found another one at another store, and it won't even spray water. I'm returning that one tomorrow
    >and looking for a genuine Misto. One more place around here that's listed as a retailer on the
    >Misto web site...or I'll order on the Internet if I have to.
    >
    >If they're worth having. It seems like such a good idea, but it's getting so irritating. My
    >husband's got the one out in the garage now, so maybe he'll MacGyver it into working, but I'm not
    >to sure it will survive his repairs.
    >
    >Or is it possible I'm doing something wrong? Neither of the clones came with any directions
    >whatsoever, so it can't be all that complicated. And I read the Misto web site to see if there was
    >some trick to getting it to work.
    >
    >Any hints? Or do you think I managed to buy two defective units? It the Misto really that good
    >and easy?
    >
    >And while I'm at it, can you think of anything that I might use that one for that seems to spray
    >water but refuses to spray oil? It would be silly to use it for water, since I've got a useable
    >plastic sprayer that doesn't need the pumping. But I can't think of anything else kitchen related
    >that I'd want to spray.

    Never fill more than about 1/2 full. Then pump until you get significant resistance. I have some
    $5.00 plastic ones that work just fine.

    --
    Susan N.

    There are 10 types of people in the world. Those who understand binary and those who do not.

  5. Rcklfrtz

    Rcklfrtz Guest

    Hi, I had a couple I got from Pampered Chef and they worked fine for about 6 years and finally gave
    up the ghost.

    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote in message news:[email protected]
    berlin.de...
    > I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't found the "actual" Misto yet,
    > but do far I've bought two clones. The first one spits and sputters, although it tested fine when
    > I put water in it. Washed it, dried it, put oil in it, and it sputters. Dumped it out, cleaned it,
    > sprays water fine. Dried it, put oil in, it sputtered a bit then quit entirely. Okay, it was a
    > cheap clone.
    >
    > Found another one at another store, and it won't even spray water. I'm returning that one tomorrow
    > and looking for a genuine Misto. One more
    place
    > around here that's listed as a retailer on the Misto web site...or I'll order on the Internet if I
    > have to.
    >
    > If they're worth having. It seems like such a good idea, but it's getting
    so
    > irritating. My husband's got the one out in the garage now, so maybe he'll MacGyver it into
    > working, but I'm not to sure it will survive his repairs.
    >
    > Or is it possible I'm doing something wrong? Neither of the clones came
    with
    > any directions whatsoever, so it can't be all that complicated. And I read the Misto web site to
    > see if there was some trick to getting it to work.
    >
    > Any hints? Or do you think I managed to buy two defective units? It the Misto really that good
    > and easy?
    >
    > And while I'm at it, can you think of anything that I might use that one
    for
    > that seems to spray water but refuses to spray oil? It would be silly to
    use
    > it for water, since I've got a useable plastic sprayer that doesn't need
    the
    > pumping. But I can't think of anything else kitchen related that I'd want
    > spray.
    >
    > --
    > Donna

  6. Donna Rose

    Donna Rose Guest

    >Any hints? Or do you think I managed to buy two defective units? It the Misto really that good
    >and easy?
    >
    >And while I'm at it, can you think of anything that I might use that one for that seems to spray
    >water but refuses to spray oil? It would be silly to use it for water, since I've got a useable
    >plastic sprayer that doesn't need the pumping. But I can't think of anything else kitchen related
    >that I'd want to spray.

    I didn't have much luck at all with the Misto clones that I tried - they sputtered as you mentioned.
    If it's a pump-air-into-itself type of container, remember not to fill it more than two-thirds full.

    I think it was Vox Humana who mentioned using simple plastic spray bottles for oil.

    As for the bottles you've got that will spray water but not oil, I keep spray bottles of vinegar and
    peroxide (separate bottles) in my kitchen to clean my cutting boards and wash my vegetables with.

    --
    Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

    To reply, remove the SPAM BLOCK

  7. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "Donna Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message

    > >Any hints? Or do you think I managed to buy two defective units? It the Misto really that good
    > >and easy?
    > >
    > >And while I'm at it, can you think of anything that I might use that one
    for
    > >that seems to spray water but refuses to spray oil? It would be silly to
    use
    > >it for water, since I've got a useable plastic sprayer that doesn't need
    the
    > >pumping. But I can't think of anything else kitchen related that I'd want
    > >spray.
    > >
    > I didn't have much luck at all with the Misto clones that I tried - they sputtered as you
    > mentioned. If it's a pump-air-into-itself type of container, remember not to fill it more than two-
    > thirds full.
    >
    > I think it was Vox Humana who mentioned using simple plastic spray bottles for oil.
    >
    > As for the bottles you've got that will spray water but not oil, I keep spray bottles of
    > vinegar and peroxide (separate bottles) in my kitchen to clean my cutting boards and wash my
    > vegetables with.
    >
    > --
    > Donna A pessimist believes all women are bad. An optimist hopes they are.

    Well, it's really broken now. I think we fixed it too much. Time to go shopping again.

  8. Kalanamak

    Kalanamak Guest

    "D.Currie" wrote:

    > I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't found the "actual" Misto yet,
    <snip> I was given a reak Misto, and it never worked right, even after following all the
    advice. blacksalt

  9. Stark Raven

    Stark Raven Guest

    In article <[email protected]>, D.Currie
    <[email protected]> wrote:

    > I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't found the "actual" Misto yet,
    > but do far I've bought two clones. The first one spits and sputters, although it tested fine when
    > I put water in it. Washed it, dried it, put oil in it, and it sputters. Dumped it out, cleaned it,
    > sprays water fine. Dried it, put oil in, it sputtered a bit then quit entirely. Okay, it was a
    > cheap clone.

    My Misto also spits and sputters with olive oil. It was new, clean and dry. I just quit using it.
    Guess I'll break it out and try again.

  10. Vox Humana

    Vox Humana Guest

    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...

    > "Donna Rose" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    > >
    > > >Any hints? Or do you think I managed to buy two defective units? It the Misto really that good
    > > >and easy?
    > > >
    > > >And while I'm at it, can you think of anything that I might use that
    one
    > for
    > > >that seems to spray water but refuses to spray oil? It would be silly
    > use
    > > >it for water, since I've got a useable plastic sprayer that doesn't
    need
    > the
    > > >pumping. But I can't think of anything else kitchen related that I'd
    want
    > > >spray.
    > > >
    > > I didn't have much luck at all with the Misto clones that I tried - they sputtered as you
    > > mentioned. If it's a pump-air-into-itself type of container, remember not to fill it more than
    > > two-thirds full.
    > >
    > > I think it was Vox Humana who mentioned using simple plastic spray bottles for oil.

    Yes. I use a cheap plastic plant mister. It doesn't spray as fine a mist as the Misto, but it only
    cost about a dollar and is totally reliable. Each spray dispenses 1/4 teaspoon of oil.

  11. Stark Raven <[email protected]> wrote in message news:<260120040716186837%[email protected]>...
    > In article <[email protected]>, D.Currie
    > <[email protected]> wrote:
    >
    > > I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't found the "actual" Misto
    > > yet, but do far I've bought two clones. The first one spits and sputters, although it tested
    > > fine when I put water in it. Washed it, dried it, put oil in it, and it sputters. Dumped it out,
    > > cleaned it, sprays water fine. Dried it, put oil in, it sputtered a bit then quit entirely.
    > > Okay, it was a cheap clone.
    >
    > My Misto also spits and sputters with olive oil. It was new, clean and dry. I just quit using it.
    > Guess I'll break it out and try again.

    Just be sure to smell it and make sure the residual oil hasn't gone rancid inside. I had a Misto,
    and I hated the thing. It never worked right. I chucked it and buy Olive Oil Pam now. lol

  12. Jimlane

    Jimlane Guest

    D.Currie wrote:

    > Well, it's really broken now. I think we fixed it too much. Time to go shopping again.

    Why does that scenario sound so familiar to me???

    jim

  13. D.Currie

    D.Currie Guest

    "JimLane" <[email protected]> wrote in message
    news:[email protected]...
    > D.Currie wrote:
    >

    > > Well, it's really broken now. I think we fixed it too much. Time to go shopping again.
    > >

    > Why does that scenario sound so familiar to me???
    >

    > jim

    Things that go into the garage don't always come back the same way. It was an interesting science
    experiment, anyway.

  14. Mark Shaw

    Mark Shaw Guest

    In article <[email protected]>,
    "D.Currie" <[email protected]> wrote:
    >I read about it in another thread and went looking for one. Haven't found the "actual" Misto yet,
    >but do far I've bought two clones. The first one spits and sputters, although it tested fine when I
    >put water in it. Washed it, dried it, put oil in it, and it sputters. Dumped it out, cleaned it,
    >sprays water fine. Dried it, put oil in, it sputtered a bit then quit entirely. Okay, it was a
    >cheap clone.

    Just get a $2 plastic sprayer from the laundry section of the supermarket. Works better, and when it
    breaks, you just recycle it and get another.

    --
    Mark Shaw contact info at homepage --> http://www.panix.com/~mshaw
    "How can any culture that has more lawyers than butchers call itself a civilization?" - Alton Brown